Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 09:33:19 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  How could it possibly be a dream?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How could it possibly be a dream?  (Read 22692 times)
guybrush
Bandido

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2003, 04:43:45 AM »

Sergio himself and many viewers sometime supposed that Noodles' smile at the very end was meant to show his realization that all events occurred in the '68 were just a sort of nightmare dreamt in the opium den.

Personally I've always liked that idea because it used to shed a more optimistic light on the ending.
Suddenly yesterday a doubt crossed my even-too-rational mind while watching the movie for the umpteenth time:  how can anybody living in the '30s dream of a future with TV sets, frisbees, phone boots in the streets, and who knows how many else modern stuffs? Doesn't this exclude any possibility of the events occurring in '68 to be part of a dream? Doesn't this mean that those events really occurred?

Please let me know what you think about it, and do not hesitate to call me the worst names if you think that I'm spoiling your conception of the movie.

Thank God I'm an atheist
---
“What have you done all this time?”
“Going to bed early.”
cedet
Chicken Thief

Noodles Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 05:15:03 AM »

The smile of Noodles at the end is a real mistery to me...
1:) the 68 ' is a dream that means to Noodles that his friend is dead because of him in 1933 and I don't see any reason for him to smile!
2:) the 68' is no dream and Noodles did not "kill" his buddy and thats why he's smilling.

guybrush
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2003, 05:25:54 AM »

2:) the 68' is no dream and Noodles did not "kill" his buddy and thats why he's smilling.

Speaking in 'Vulcanian-Spock' mode ( Wink) what you say does not sound logical to me: if the events in '68 are not a dream, in '33 he should still be convinced he had just caused his friend's death, which is a very good reason NOT to smile (he cannot know that his friends is alive...)

Thank God I'm an atheist
---
“Going to bed early.”
cedet
Chicken Thief

Noodles Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2003, 05:31:14 AM »

"Live long and Prosper"!
i think that noodles understood what really happenned at the end....
But in this case, the whole movie, and everything that happened is nothing...just like in the Usuals Suspects...

guybrush
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2003, 05:37:22 AM »

Anyway if the events in '68 are part of a dream maybe he smiles because he prefers to think of his friend as a loyal friend (even if dead) rather than as someone capable to plan such a 35-year long revenge...

... but as mentioned in my first post, unfortunately I had to stop considering it a dream...

Thank God I'm an atheist
---
“Going to bed early.”
cedet
Chicken Thief

Noodles Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2003, 05:41:38 AM »

Anyway I still don't understand the smile because, if we avoid the 68' part, Noodles betrayed all his friends, raped the woman he loved....so why does he smile!!!!?Huh

guybrush
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2003, 05:55:30 AM »

Anyway I still don't understand the smile because, if we avoid the 68' part, Noodles betrayed all his friends, raped the woman he loved....so why does he smile!!!!?Huh
It's a good question, but sorry I can't answer it, maybe someone else can...

maybe he smiles because he hopes he will be able to fix things with Deborah, or just thinks that recent events (his friends' death, etc.) are a dream, or.... or maybe I'd better stop being so rational, Sergio just couldn't avoid to insert those modern stuffs in the movie and so we can still look at '68 as a dream... I would really like that

« Last Edit: July 14, 2003, 05:57:49 AM by guybrush » Logged

Thank God I'm an atheist
---
“Going to bed early.”
cedet
Chicken Thief

Noodles Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2003, 05:59:58 AM »

Or he is maybe Smiling because he thinks what he did was right and maybe he thinks he saved MAx from jail, which is worst for him....
can anabody enlight me please, I don't want to believe to the dream thing, which is the only explaination for the smile...

guybrush
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2003, 06:05:29 AM »

Or he is maybe Smiling because he thinks what he did was right and maybe he thinks he saved MAx from jail, which is worst for him....
can anabody enlight me please, I don't want to believe to the dream thing, which is the only explaination for the smile...

so you don't want to believe in the dream thing, while I do but actually can't...

Thank God I'm an atheist
---
“Going to bed early.”
cedet
Chicken Thief

Noodles Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2003, 06:17:28 AM »

I don't wanna believe in the dream thing because it is to easy!!!
the face to face at the end is full of emotions, and if it's a dream, the emotion desappears...
I love to think that Noodles waste his life with its "Way of life" because he believes that what he did is right!
if the 68' is true, emotions are really impressives:
noodles was betrayed by everybody that he loved and went to jail for (he saved Max life when bugsy killed Dominic) he left Debra went to california...and 35 years after he discovers that the people he loved makes their dreams come true, actually he did too.

guybrush
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2003, 06:17:29 AM »

....unless even his friends' death is part of the dream, or so he thinks because of the opium...
in that case we have a very good reason for his smile

Thank God I'm an atheist
---
“Going to bed early.”
cedet
Chicken Thief

Noodles Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2003, 06:19:22 AM »

You mean that the dream begins after he rapped Debra (he stays many days in the opium bar)?
and as he can't stand himself he imagines the worst thing that might happen to him?

guybrush
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2003, 06:28:20 AM »

the face to face at the end is full of emotions, and if it's a dream, the emotion desappears...

Sorry, but I don't agree with that point: even if it is a dream the emotions of the confrontation are still there because you felt them not knowing yet they were part of a dream.
In one of your previous posts you mentioned 'The usual suspect'. At the end of the movie you learn that everything was fake. Does this mean that the emotions you felt during the movie are disappeared?

« Last Edit: July 14, 2003, 06:29:40 AM by guybrush » Logged

Thank God I'm an atheist
---
“Going to bed early.”
cedet
Chicken Thief

Noodles Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2003, 06:35:19 AM »

Concerning the Usuals suspects: the answer is YES!
The end is the best part BECAUSe everything in the movie is fake!!
but unfortunatelly we will never know the answer for sure!!

cedet
Chicken Thief

Noodles Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2003, 06:36:39 AM »

But why did you stop considering the 68' as a Dream?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM