Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 03:56:00 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Il mio West (1998)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Il mio West (1998)  (Read 3932 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2006, 12:54:39 PM »

Can't believe (but easily understand) nobody here ever mentioned it, expecially given the cast Grin I never had the guts to watch it. Maybe Firecracker...

Anyway:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0148508/

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 01:04:57 PM »

I've been seeing that DVD at a local Tower Records, but didn't interenst me. My hunch was a rather bad feeling. The review on IMDB doesn't encourage me either.

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 01:07:36 PM »

I've seen it....middling...mezza..mezza...don't be afraid to watch it...it's not that bad...don't expect it to be spaghetti-ish, it isn't...borders on boring..
you know..old famed gunslinger...returns to his son..stalked by other gunslinger who won't leave him be.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 01:10:38 PM by boardwalk_angel » Logged

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 03:34:36 PM »

I never had the guts to watch it. Maybe Firecracker...

meh...seen it at the rental shop. Looks like a direct to video release (I stay away from those).

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Tim
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 04:08:40 PM »

I've seen it at the local video stores and never picked it up for much the reason Firecracker didn't.  But come on, David Bowie in a western?!  The DVD art did catch my eye, especially Bowie's uniform. 

Reminded me some of The Last Outlaw, an HBO western from 1994.  It had some spaghetti touches and a pretty good cast to go along with it.  Somewhat shocking/suprising violence as well.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 06:20:11 PM »

Looks like a direct to video release (I stay away from those).

Probably in USA, in Italy it was theatrically released with great fanfare, though it deservedly bombed.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 07:34:27 AM »

even the bowie fan that i am..... i haven't watched it xx

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Ringo
Chicken Thief

The sixgun made 'em different...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 12:04:38 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0148508/

Nostalgic homage to the Western genre, made in 1998. That it took eight years to get a video release in the States should say something. On its side are nice cinematography and beautiful Tuscan locations. Unfortunately, the narrative is a mess, never building momentum and starting out from the focus of a young Indian boy (hence the original title) and then abandoning him for long periods of time and never letting him get involved with the story. Also annoying is the slavish attempt to imitate Hollywood movies. It's shot in English. There's pointless scenes involving Indians just to imitate Dances With Wolves. There's even a rap song over the credits, for Pete's sake.

The oddball casting provides some entertainment. Harvey Keitel is excellent as the weary gunslinger and the best reason to watch. David Bowie is amusing - he and his eccentric gang provide the more spaghetti-esque moments in the film. Leonardo Pieraccioni, the "creative force" behind the movie, is the weak link. He's very wooden (not helped by his flat dubbed voice) and his attempts at comedy don't work. You also get the feeling that his ego is at work - the character he plays is a pacifist, non-racist, and the most respected man in town.

What's ultimately the most disappointing is the wasted opportunity this represents. With big stars and higher financial resources, this could have revived the SW, or at least been an attempt to do something new and unique with the genre. Instead, it's just a derivative way to kill an hour and a half. What a shame.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 12:39:47 AM by Ringo » Logged
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 02:52:04 AM »

It is amazing that this one aims to be so many different things at once, ultimately failing in every attempt. The sad part is that they obviously spent good money to do it. I wonder if they made it back?

Harvey Keitel good? - Don't know, couldn't tell.

David Bowie? - At the point when he made the entrance I was already disinterested.

I don't know, probably a pitiful 3/10.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 02:59:08 AM »

That it took eight years to get a video release in the States should say something.

I guess it's better late than never... or was it the other way around?

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM