Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 07:19:58 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Tex and the Lord of the Deep aka Tex e il signore degli abissi (1985)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tex and the Lord of the Deep aka Tex e il signore degli abissi (1985)  (Read 5191 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2006, 05:33:14 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090150/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/tex.htm

This was a let down for many, I remember, so I didn't see it until today. Tex is a mainstay of italian cartoons since the '40's and there were great expectations that the movie didn't meet. The problem is that this movie, in my opinion, is a reversal to peplum movies (Tessari and Gemma made a peplum together before turning to westerns) and you have all of that genre, including the cardboard rocks. The story has no particular twist, is quite linear. The action moments are of the shoot the duck kind with no visible blood, the dialogues sometimes sound stilted as they probably follow the quite passť language of 30 years before (and, I add for the italian listenenrs, Flavio Bucci is particularly inept in his delivery). Still this could have been  a much better movie (though not a much better western) if only the screenplayers had allowed themselves more freedom giving a faster pace to actions. Still it is a movie to be seen if only for some great Arizona-like landscapes Tessari found (I don't know if in Spain or elsewhere).
Gemma was voted for the role by the readers of the cartoon books almost to unanimity: unfortunately he dubbed himself. Berger is the spit image of the cartoon Kit Carson: perfect. The score sounds more like Star Wars than Morricone.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 06:34:41 PM »

I hear the Special effects (or visual) are quite good in this...is it true? If they are it would mean that money was put into this.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 10:52:37 PM »

Well, I don't know about that. I mean: you see te cardboard rocks rolling down a cave as in the worst peplum movie (but maybe they meant it like that). Oh, yeah, the corpse turning into a mummy. Well done. But I think it's the only one worth remembering (or that I do). Anyway, though it's always hard to say, I have the impression you will enjoy the movie more than I did. 

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 11:16:34 PM »

I have the impression you will enjoy the movie more than I did.†

Yeah I'm a little bit easier to satisfy I guess. As you know I'll sit through the crappiest of crap and might even end up enjoying it.

Speaking of which I got a Miles Deem picture to sit through soon ("Giu La Testa...Hombre" AKA "Adios Companeros!").

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 03:03:51 AM »

I wasn't referring to easiness, I just thought that the mix of western and horror was more suited to your taste for strangeness than mine, which goes more for classic plots. Actually the movie is up to higher standards than usual, they put money into it. That could be a handicap, in your case. Anyway, I'm curious to know what you think of the Fidani: is your first?

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 02:24:11 PM »

I'm curious to know what you think of the Fidani: is your first?
No it won't be my first. I popped my Fidani cherry (as it were) a few months back with his not-so-bad "His name was Sam Wallbash but they called him Amen" (aka "savage guns").

I thought it was quite entertaining despite the lack of a coherent storyline and characters that would be introduced only to disappear soon after.
The final 5 minutes were very fun to watch as the main character (Robert Woods if I recall correctly) mows down the remaining baddies with a gatling gun.

As a director (thinking camera angles) he is not so bad. At times he shows imagination and is better than Carnimeo at his worst ("Find a place to die". His direction was BLAND in the strictest sense). Fidani's main problem (which is obvious) is his inability to make a structured storyline. He'll jump to and frow without warning.

Their is a good director hidden in there somewhere.

and his wife, Mila Vitelli Valenza, is/was very good looking.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 03:39:35 PM »

I'll take your word for the Mia Vitelli part.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 03:41:26 PM »

I would post a pic of her but I can't find anything on the internet.

She was in "W Django".

have you seen "his name was Sam Walbash but..."?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 03:43:16 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 03:53:22 PM »

Not yet. Got lots of movies to see and grabbing others all the time. I post mini-reviews here also as a way of keeping track: thank god SW are a small number as compared to other genres. As soon as I watch it will post.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 12:58:05 PM »

Same thing with me; I was postponing the viewing of this as much as I could, and I was right too. I saw bits from it on various occasions and it didn't seem all that bad, and I was wrong too. Now, I've read many comics starring Tex Willer and his pards but I was never a huge fan of his, I preferred SBE's other characters more to be honest. However, I do think Tex Willer is a good mainstream W comic book series, or at least was back in the days.

I don't even know where to start, the movie's a complete mess, I feel I could write a book on how bad it is...

First of all: Giuliano Gemma is miscast as never before in his career. Him playing Tex Willer? - Please. I like him as an actor even today, I probably said it numerous times here on the board, but the diapason of roles he can play effectively is really very narrow. I adored him as a kid; with his boyish looks and sorta naive countenance he had a unique charm, but Tex Willer - as it's pretty obvious to anyone that read at least one or two episodes of the comic book series - is (supposed to be) a whole different animal. He's basically a self-absorbed bully, he is the hero of the series - yes - but with his excessive displaying of gruff machoism he gets to your (reader's) nerves quite often. When I was a kid I remember I wanted to go inside the comic book and punch his arrogant face, that's how much he irritated me. Gemma is hence a complete miss; not only he isn't tough enough (and when he is trying to be tough it looks as if he's delivering the lines and at the same time parodying himself), but he couldn't even dream about being a self-serving megalith of exaggerated machoism such as Tex Willer. If it's true what titoli said (that the fans actually voted for him), it must have been one hell of a joke.

About Kit Carson: I agree William Berger looks like that character was made after him, but the disgraceful dubbing unfortunately ruins it all. This not even taking in consideration his relationship with Tex Willer is completely deranged in this movie, simply 'cause of the fact Gemma couldn't hold the higher ground over Berger. In the comic book series the two are pals, yeah, but Tex - although younger than Kit - often bullies him to the point when you start feeling really sorry for the old ranger (especially if you're a kid). He takes it all in kinda good faith, without too much fussing, because he isn't a weep but quite the contrary - is actually very capable. This created a great chemistry between the two in the original series, and was very fun to follow. Again, this was changed, moved and adjusted numerous times during the original series (that started in the 40s!), depending on the author of the monthly scenario, but the backbone and essence of this kind of relationship survived throughout all the years - but unfortunately none of it made it here! Pity.

I don't know what else I wanted to write... I agree with what titoli wrote: the 'action' is a real shame, I have the feeling we from the board couldn't do it any worse if we'd one day just take the camera, go out somewhere and try to film it. Absolute zero.

Some of the jokes between the two that actually were incorporated in the script didn't quite work I'm afraid. Especially the ''steak three fingers high'', tossed around a couple of times in the course of the movie.

The story they decided to make into a movie was a bad choice altogether. I usually like Weird West a great deal (if it's done properly), but this one's done extremely sloppy and without any atmosphere whatsoever.

Classic rating: 4/10

Tex Willer adaptation rating: 0/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM