Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 07:05:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  What's the Latest?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's the Latest?  (Read 4802 times)
The clint
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 08:44:44 AM »

The audio on the UK SE is hideous, everything sounds "tinny" pecause of the pitch correction applied to the sound, wrong music cues are used and it almost completely lacks midrange. Everything is very thin and trebly but whenever explosions occur we have fake bass thumps badly overlayed over the thin explosions. If I ever get my hands on that bastard of a guy who did the remaster (And I know what he looks like cause I've seen his feature on the DVD) I'll not be responsible for my actions.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 08:46:51 AM by The clint » Logged
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 10:28:42 AM »

I do agree after watching it on Monday. The bass on the explosions was seemingly quite out of place with the rest of the film which had the thin sound of mono stretched out, can't comment on the missed cues but I did admit that as usual the score did sound good in these bastardised up-mixes. It does get my mad when the guy at MGM talks about on the restoration featurettes about how he felt that the original mono needed boosting. No it didn't! Check out the original mono for Fistful and For A Few from the TLE films restoration, they sounded perfect, good restoration and balance. MGM should look at the WB to see at keeping (nearly 100% of the time) the original soundtrack. At least with the re-mixing on the lavish Gone With The Wind set they kept the mono. With Spirit of St Louis I believe they remixed the original 4.0 into 5.1 (please correct me if i have read the wrong infomation) and that sounds very pleasing without artificial sounds being placed on the track or very thin echoing sound.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM