Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 02:26:48 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  GBU Spoofs In Popular Culture
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GBU Spoofs In Popular Culture  (Read 8862 times)
Jon0
« on: November 24, 2006, 01:44:31 PM »

I was at a kid's store with my little sister's best friend--whose about 10--and we pick up some rubber band gun pistols....out of nowhere he holds the gun at his side and starts humming the "About to be a shootout" theme.  I couldn't believe it.  I asked him where he heard it and apparently he had seen it on some kid's show called "Jimmy Neutron". 

Any other spoofs you've seen in pop culture?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 03:23:48 PM »

I do remember an episode of the Disney show "Recess" which parodied GBU extensively.  The character of Gus was an expert dodgeball player who wore a poncho like Clint and his nickname "El Diablo" was written on the screen like "The Good", etc. in this film.

Also, the Nick show "The Angry Beavers" had an episode which parodied Spaghetti Westerns in general.  I think it was "The Legend of Kid Friendly" and was very similar to "Westworld", with a robotic gunslinger on the loose.  It had a "theme song" sung by Waylon Jennings, GBU parody title scene, the squeaky windmill from OUATITW (it was the exact sound), Leone gunshot noises, and a sample of "Farewell to Cheyenne" on the soundtrack - plus the last showdown took place in a cemetery.  It was actually a rather extensive parody, too bad I don't really care for that episode.

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 03:43:12 PM »

Also, the Nick show "The Angry Beavers" had an episode which parodied Spaghetti Westerns in general.  I think it was "The Legend of Kid Friendly" and was very similar to "Westworld", with a robotic gunslinger on the loose.  It had a "theme song" sung by Waylon Jennings, GBU parody title scene, the squeaky windmill from OUATITW (it was the exact sound), Leone gunshot noises, and a sample of "Farewell to Cheyenne" on the soundtrack - plus the last showdown took place in a cemetery.  It was actually a rather extensive parody, too bad I don't really care for that episode.

Really?!? I loved that show! I use to watch it all the time when I was younger.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 03:45:49 PM »

It was one of their later episodes I think - I never saw it myself until it ran on the Nicktoons Channel.  I'm not wild about it though.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:46:00 PM »

I've seen parodies everywhere, usually GBU theme music used: in Kevin Costner film in scene with MacLaine last year (he was the inspiration for "The Graduate" in it), Inspector Gadget on the bridge, a SPaghetti western spoof on the Simpson'e, even the old Get Smart (in the 1960s) had a spaghetti western parady.  And Mad Magazine ("A Fistful of Lasagna, For a Few Ravioli More").

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 05:15:04 PM »

And Mad Magazine ("A Fistful of Lasagna, For a Few Ravioli More"). 

I remember that one  Grin

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 09:32:49 PM »

That I'd like to see.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 12:20:37 PM »

That film last year concerning "The Graduate" was "Rumor has It".  As to the Mad Magazine thing, I have a copy (haven't looked at it in years) but don't think I'm computer-literate enough to do anything with it, but OK to provide suggestions...

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 01:49:54 PM »

out of nowhere he holds the gun at his side and starts humming the "About to be a shootout" theme.  

Starts humming the what?

.................................................................................................

A GBU parody of recent memory was in a 5 year old teen comedy called "The New Guy". In the film the main character would give these mean looks when provoked, when the "mean look" is utilized the familiar coyote yell and whistle from GBU can be heard.

I'm sure in the cinema that recurring joke fell flat with the audience seeing as "the new guy" is aimed for a younger generation.

Wonder why creators feel the need to add jokes they know won't work? It isn't for the art (which a teen comedy cannot be) I can tell you that much.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 12:01:29 AM »

It isn't for the art (which a teen comedy cannot be) I can tell you that much.

I suggest you watch Heathers Wink

Cast no shadows - Draw no light. I rape the priestess on pagan's night.
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 11:29:59 AM »

Starts humming the what?

I think he meant the final trio shootout.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 12:01:37 PM »

Last Sunday night the Simpsons re-run had a three-way standoff over a sack of gold to spaghetti western music, did the close-ups, etc.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 11:26:51 AM »

I saw some hotdog commercial use the GBU theme with close ups and all. It was about six months ago or so. It was pretty silly.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Jon1
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 12:37:43 PM »

Not really a spoof.  But "Ecstasy of Gold" plays in the beginning of Jackass #2.

Jon1
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 10:43:49 AM »

Another Ennio Morricone usage in Jackass....I'd say about 45% of the way through:
http://www.dailymotion.com/flash/flvplayer.swf?rev=1172444940&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymotion.com%2Fget%2F10%2F320x240%2Fflv%2F739438.flv%3Fkey%3D65488e0c18a90112f7f9bd772510931a12a356f%26log%3D1%26log_blog_key%3D5ROKKYf70abcB36mq%26log_referer%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fquicksilverscreen.com%252Fwatch-jackass-episode-online-free%252F&previewURL=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic-05.dailymotion.com%2Fdyn%2Fpreview%2F320x240%2F739438.jpg%3F20060929185546&autoStart=0&playerURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymotion.com%2Fvideo%2Fxfujy_jackass&estatEnabled=1&estatClient=players_dm&estatSection=blog

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM