Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 07:09:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Man Who Killed Billy the Kid (El hombre que mató a Billy el Niño)(1967)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Man Who Killed Billy the Kid (El hombre que mató a Billy el Niño)(1967)  (Read 4434 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2006, 08:44:17 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061775/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/bandito_del_sud.htm

This makes easily my best 30 list. I saw the spanish edition, so I missed some snippets of dialogue, expecially the last words Garret says after Billy's death (an original conclusion of the story, BTW). I would like to know how much Fulci was involved in the direction of the movie, which is shot impeccably and which is a very good adventure movie and gives an ironic twist to Billy's story, as he tries always vainly to change his life but always something happens which frustrates his intentions. even the love story with Turnstull's daughter doesn't slow downthe action and anyway it makes more sense than the stupid relationship with the chinese girls in the first Young Guns. But really the movie has a perfect rhythm and a continuous variety of scenery which makes it absolutely appealing, even if you don't care about Billy the Kid. Lawrence is good, his very best performance, though somebody might consider him too tame after Estevez or Newman's performances. Tozzi's Pat Garrett has nothing to envy to Coburn's performance. The score by Ferrio is out of focus with the action, expecially in the arrangement too based on electric guitars: it has not the epic character which a story like this requires.

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 12:39:38 AM »

How did you see this movie?

What part of Billy's life did the movie begin?

With the choice of actors for westerns in the 60's and in Europe, the guy who played Guy Calloway would have been so damn perfect. Everytime I've see him since the first time I saw FAFDM I thought of Billy the Kid.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 12:41:28 AM by Poggle » Logged
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 01:53:13 AM »

How did you see this movie?

Uh?

What part of Billy's life did the movie begin?

Good question: with him killing a would-be raper of his mother: escape and killing the victim's brother looking for revenge.

With the choice of actors for westerns in the 60's and in Europe, the guy who played Guy Calloway would have been so damn perfect. Everytime I've see him since the first time I saw FAFDM I thought of Billy the Kid.

I don't agree.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 04:19:26 AM »

I think he's asking if you saw a DVD, VHS, or saw it on TV.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 08:12:38 PM »

<SPOILERS>

The movie has very little historical accuracy with one exception, the lincoln county cattle war that Billy was apart of after getting hired by an englishman named John Tunstall (He makes an appearence in the film).

This took place in reality.

The movie is certainly good. Has some very well edited gundowns and gunfights. Lawrence gets a lot of slack (for the same reason Gemma does, clean shaven and pretty boy) but I have always liked him.

The ending seems like a homage to "The man who shot Liberty Valance". It has the same message at the end (Print the legend) but it's not as in your face.

The major flaw I thought was that the real culprit behind Billy's murder was not dealt with at the end. He should have been killed by Garret.

The music is slightly memorable but nothing to rave about.

Their doesn't seem to be an english version of this anywhere.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 02:45:15 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 12:31:29 AM »

I saw the spanish edition, so I missed some snippets of dialogue, expecially the last words Garret says after Billy's death 

<spoilers>

I missed this to.

I can only make out...

Tanstull Girl: Why did you kill him? He confided in you.

Pat Garret: Your mistaken...

and then he says his last line but I can't make it out due to my copies muffled audio.

It sounds like "he was killed by...". Can't get the last word.
It's clear Garret knows what took place but doesn't admit that he didn't shoot him.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 12:34:48 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM