Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2019, 06:15:38 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Full Screen vs Wide
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2 3
: Full Screen vs Wide  ( 9559 )
Beebs

« : November 30, 2006, 03:34:19 PM »

Just watched something on TCM or AMC (sorry can't remember which) about the evils of full screen. They used Lawrence of Arabia as an example. It worked perfectly. What are the advantages to full screen anyway. Sure it fits your TV screen but why not have the two black lines at the top.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #1 : November 30, 2006, 03:38:35 PM »

I saw that documentary before and, yes, it uses great examples of how full screen just butchers a film.

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

« #2 : November 30, 2006, 03:46:06 PM »

fullscreen serves no purpose, other than to make people happy that have no appreciation for film as art.. but rather think of them as flashy images to distract them for a couple of hours

got to have that whole screen filled, or i'm not getting maximum distraction out of my TV

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #3 : November 30, 2006, 03:55:45 PM »

fullscreen serves no purpose, other than to make people happy that have no appreciation for film as art.. but rather think of them as flashy images to distract them for a couple of hours

got to have that whole screen filled, or i'm not getting maximum distraction out of my TV

;D

I agree with you 100%.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

« #4 : November 30, 2006, 04:00:31 PM »

Full frame forever, full screen never! Full screen is an evil abomination which must be stamped out.

Unfortunately TV companies all over the world have been told in viewers survay's that the vast proportion of their viewers hate "those horrible black bars" at the top and bottom of the picture, hence they are merely bowing to market preasure. It's the TV audience which needs educating.

Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

« #5 : November 30, 2006, 04:10:42 PM »

speaking of which, I just realised my full metal jacket dvd is in fullscreen.

"this movie has been modified as follows from it's original version: it has been formatted to fit your screen."

>:(

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #6 : November 30, 2006, 04:11:39 PM »

Yea thats a good little demo, its on TCM quite a bit.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

« #7 : November 30, 2006, 04:29:36 PM »

speaking of which, I just realised my full metal jacket dvd is in fullscreen.

Bizarre huh? Apparently this was done on Kubrick's instructions.

Seems he hated them black bars on the top and bottom of the screen too. VERY odd.

Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

« #8 : November 30, 2006, 04:38:49 PM »

huh? so there is no ws edition?

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

« #9 : November 30, 2006, 05:01:17 PM »

I'm not sure, as I don't like the movie, but I have heard friends discussing the subject. I suspect not.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #10 : November 30, 2006, 05:07:44 PM »

It depends on the movie.  I don't think I'll mind too much if I miss the widescreen effect watching "Click" or "xXx", but if I'm watching a Ford, Peckinpah, Lean, Leone, Hawks, Kubrick kinda film, then I take umbrage.  I can enjoy any movie regardless of whether its full- or widescreen if I would enjoy it anyway, but it does take away from the film's power a great deal.

I understand entirely why people have problems with the "black bars" - on a normal size TV they make the picture so small it's almost impossible to see.  Unless you have a plasma or widescreeen TV, then that would be a big problem, and I don't think it's a matter of people just being ignorant at all.

Saturday nights with Groggy
pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

« #11 : November 30, 2006, 05:15:20 PM »

It depends on the movie.  I don't think I'll mind too much if I miss the widescreen effect watching "Click" or "xXx", but if I'm watching a Ford, Peckinpah, Lean, Leone, Hawks, Kubrick kinda film, then I take umbrage.  I can enjoy any movie regardless of whether its full- or widescreen if I would enjoy it anyway, but it does take away from the film's power a great deal.

I understand entirely why people have problems with the "black bars" - on a normal size TV they make the picture so small it's almost impossible to see.  Unless you have a plasma or widescreeen TV, then that would be a big problem, and I don't think it's a matter of people just being ignorant at all.

ah come on man.. i have a widescreen TV now, but for the first time i've ever had one.. i spent the rest of my life watching letterbox/widescreen films and always preferred it.. even on a tiny, normal TV.  never thought it was "impossible" to see the picture.

you're not seriously watching xXx are you?  ;)

i do see your point though, it doesnt bother me on a average movie, or TV show that isn't filmed with cinematography in mind

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #12 : November 30, 2006, 05:18:26 PM »

I've seen "xXx" once, a long time ago - that was just an example.  ;) I actually did see "Click" last week though.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Beebs

« #13 : November 30, 2006, 06:07:36 PM »

I always thought the TV's should be widescreen STANDARD and if you want full screen, there should be two black bars on the sides.

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

« #14 : November 30, 2006, 06:20:05 PM »

I always thought the TV's should be widescreen STANDARD and if you want full screen, there should be two black bars on the sides.

haha

: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines