Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 11:04:40 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Bullitt (1968)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bullitt (1968)  (Read 8268 times)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 04:57:33 PM »

I saw this movie a week ago because I heard lots of great things about the film.

I wasn't impressed with it. I liked the car chase of course, and the acting was fantastic ( how can Steve McQueen and Robert Vaughn be bad? ) but everything else seemed pretty cheap. The girl character played by Jaqueline Bissett seemed sooooooooo tacked on that it was laughable, she served no purpose in the film.

I didn't like it that much. I'd give it a 2 out of 5.

Why is it that you think Jaqueline Bissett's character was tacked on? That's what is so realistic about the film. Why can't Frank Bullitt have a lady friend?

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 07:56:35 PM »

Bullitt - 6/10 - It's got a neat title sequence, the car chase, okay finale (that put me in mind of Heat), McQueen, and a nice jazzy Lalo Schiffrin score. It also has a meandering, under-developed plot, boring supporting cast (how can you make Robert Vaughn, Jacqueline Bisset and Robert Duvall boring?), and a distinct lack of tension or suspense. Put it in the meh category.

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 04:26:24 PM »

Bullitt (1968) First time I saw it in a cinema in mid-'70's: didn't like it so much. Same on tv in the '80's. This time, not dubbed, found it excellent. McQueen is perfect, Vaughan so-so: he's never convincing playing bastards. I wasn't impressed by the car chase first time: this time I jumped on the seat twice. Maybe the last sequence in the airport is a bit long. Still it is much better than that in Heat. 8\10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 05:47:50 PM »

Bullitt is mediocre aside from the car chase.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 06:19:52 PM »

Bullitt is a truly terrific movie. 2 things I did not like: a) the woman absolutely does not belong in the film; b) the writing for Vaughn's part wasn't good. What should have happened was that his character would pretend to be a good guy, and then at the end it would come out that he is a sleaze only interested in personal glory; I think it is a bit unrealistic and caricature-like to have the politician as such a blatant sleazeball from the beginning. But otherwise this is a wonderful movie, I'd give it a 9 out of 10

btw, Roger Ebert's review of Bullitt is particularly great http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19681223/REVIEWS/812230301/1023

« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 07:38:26 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 05:56:41 PM »

I gave this another chance because I really dig Eddie Coyle and saw it for 8 bucks on bluray. It's a good movie with a nice pace, and some Richard Rush type zoom out, rack focus tracking shots. Had Mitchum or especially Lee Marvin starred, I'd probably be a much bigger fan. McQueen doesn't have the natural charisma of those two but is a respectable actor.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 10:56:32 AM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM