Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 05:55:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Great RR flick - The Color of a Brisk & Leaping Day (1996)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Great RR flick - The Color of a Brisk & Leaping Day (1996)  (Read 1793 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2006, 06:47:27 AM »

The Color of a Brisk & Leaping Day (DVD New Video NYC)

This film is a treasure for railfans (Peacemaker-HalfSoldier-marmota-b's Dad, take note, lol) its an indie film directed by Christofer Munch, inspired by a true story, of a 23 year old Chinese American engineering student John Lee (Peter Alexander) at the end of WWII who is working the shops of the Red Car Streetcar line in Los Angeles California. He is a "railfan" and while taking a vacation trip to Yosemite National Park with his family see's a poster for the impending  scrap sale of the Yosemite Valley RR.

He gets the idea in his head to buy the road and try and make it work. With the help and backing of a Colorado rail enthusiast, he gets control of the RR for one year. This has got some great deatil footage of steam locomotives, roundhouse, track, and RR yard operations, the two man manually opperated turntable is just amazing. If you like trains this is like a dream come true.

Henry Gibson (from the old TV show Laugh In has a cameo as the line's superintendent). The film also has a few side stories of John's relationship with a Natvie American US Park Service employee.

The DVD also has some nice extras, including the theatrical trailer.

It's shot in this rich beautiful silvery Black & White that is just astounding. I must get this DVD!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115925/

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 08:45:33 AM »

marmota-b's Dad

And why not me? Grin

Sounds interesting, but I'm afraid it's not available here... though - who ever knows.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 03:44:54 PM »

You too, sorry

Here is a clip

http://videodetective.com/default.asp?frame=http://videodetective.com/home.asp?PublishedID=197293

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 06:29:21 AM »

Thank you for that link.

The black and white looks very effective, but I guess it would be much better in bigger format...
Yes, the turntable seen in the trailer, manually operated - father would love that... and me too. Wink

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 10:13:48 PM »

Glad to be of service.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM