Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 01:04:07 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  "Kramer" spews racial remarks during a stand-up routine
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Kramer" spews racial remarks during a stand-up routine  (Read 17432 times)
pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2006, 12:43:25 PM »

Why are we not discussing the Native Americans
who were slaughtered, raped systematically and their homeland and their way of life ruthlessly taken away from them by our ancestors, and relegated to fester in reservations (a nice word for death camps) so we could pillage their country's natural resources?
I have yet to witness one Native American race riot, Native American Milllion Man March etc.
The AA's should take a lesson from these noble people.
GET OVER IT!!!!!!

actually, there are quite a few Native Americans that put up a fight. i would hardly say that sat quietly and accepted their almost genocide. they were, however, strongly defeated, and pretty much forced into acceptance. the situation of the Native American today is a sad one.. take a read on the book "In the Spirit of Crazy Horse"

i myself am about a quarter Cherokee, and my girlfriend is half Seminole...

Jon1
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2006, 01:41:53 PM »

actually, there are quite a few Native Americans that put up a fight. i would hardly say that sat quietly and accepted their almost genocide. they were, however, strongly defeated, and pretty much forced into acceptance. the situation of the Native American today is a sad one.. take a read on the book "In the Spirit of Crazy Horse"

i myself am about a quarter Cherokee, and my girlfriend is half Seminole...
Don't reservations have the highest poverty and alcoholism rates in the country?  And the lowest amount of healthcare coverage?  I think so.

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2006, 02:50:40 PM »

Don't reservations have the highest poverty and alcoholism rates in the country?  And the lowest amount of healthcare coverage?  I think so.

yes, this is very true. as with all societies and cultures that face extreme persecution, the level of substance abuse and dependence is very high. alcoholism is a huge problem, as well as poverty- which both feed each other.

this "noble silence" geoman speaks of is just a myth, a way for us americans to comfortably forget about what the truth is in regards to the state of Native American society.

Jon1
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2006, 02:53:30 PM »

yes, this is very true. as with all societies and cultures that face extreme persecution, the level of substance abuse and dependence is very high. alcoholism is a huge problem, as well as poverty- which both feed each other.

this "noble silence" geoman speaks of is just a myth, a way for us americans to comfortably forget about what the truth is in regards to the state of Native American society.
Dude, we gotta get AIM  (American Indian Movement) back....lets hole up in Alcatraz again

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Indian_Movement

« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 08:40:25 AM by Jon1 » Logged
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2006, 05:13:16 PM »

Wow, we're now discussing the history of racism in America from an idiotic remark said by a washed-up has-been stand-up comic.

Much as I love "Seinfeld", I could care less about Michael Richards.  In any case, he's not a big enough celebrity that this should be a big deal. Roll Eyes Some people just like to stir up s*** to cause trouble.

Saturday nights with Groggy
pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2006, 05:41:07 PM »

Wow, we're now discussing the history of racism in America from an idiotic remark said by a washed-up has-been stand-up comic.

Much as I love "Seinfeld", I could care less about Michael Richards.  In any case, he's not a big enough celebrity that this should be a big deal. Roll Eyes Some people just like to stir up s*** to cause trouble.

the conversation has gotten pretty off-track from the original topic, but doesn't make the discussion any less valid.. the issue to me isn't determined by whether or not big or small celebrities stir up shit..

maybe shit needs to be stirred up, so people start discussing and thinking about these things, rather than ignoring them

Beebs
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2006, 05:59:24 PM »

I don't know about health care, but I attribute the substance abuse, especially alcoholism, to the great deal of hand outs these people get. It's sad how they have little will to work: they can rely on handouts. I have a friend, who's quarter Creek, and he agrees. There's no will to find work among his family friends. It's sad really.

CISCO
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2006, 06:07:14 PM »

many americans remember saturday night live.

ABC tv network invented "fridays", which is where i first saw MR. andy kaufman was guest. andy wasn't quite sane. during a comedy skit ( this was live ) kaufman went bananas and forgot or wouldn't do what was rehearsed causing MR to jump up into a rage.  Tongue  MR should have known andy was famous for this sort of thing but he lost his temper on live tv. suddenly MR was not funny. this was 1978.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 06:16:42 PM by cisco » Logged
pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2006, 06:10:21 PM »

I don't know about health care, but I attribute the substance abuse, especially alcoholism, to the great deal of hand outs these people get. It's sad how they have little will to work: they can rely on handouts. I have a friend, who's quarter Creek, and he agrees. There's no will to find work among his family friends. It's sad really.

"We did not ask you white men to come here. The Great Spirit gave us this country as a home. You had yours. We did not interfere with you. The Great Spirit gave us plenty of land to live on, and buffalo, deer, antelope and other game. But you have come here; you are taking my land from me; you are killing off our game, so it is hard for us to live. Now, you tell us to work for a living, but the Great Spirit did not make us to work, but to live by hunting. You white men can work if you want to. We do not interfere with you, and again you say, why do you not become civilised? We do not want your civilisation! We would live as our fathers did, and their fathers before them."
-Crazy Horse

(i realise this quote is dated, but i still feel it explains quite a bit if you relate it to the progression of events and where things are today)

Jon1
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2006, 06:18:14 PM »

Beebs, please. This is like the welfare queen driving a cadillac myth.

Beebs
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2006, 06:25:22 PM »

What? I don't think I did anything offending or insulting did I?

Pix, I do understand your quote, but it fails to explain the alcoholism rate. I do understand what you are saying though, and I agree with half of it. But the answer to not working for a living is not sitting around doing nothing. Sure, Tuco said "if you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" but when you don't work, you die. Even in the pre-Columbus America. Everyone worked to live. Only now, with handouts, it is possible to ignore work and still live a semi- comfortable life. But if that's what one wants, suits me. I'll work harder to live better.

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2006, 06:27:03 PM »

i'm also curious as to exactly what handouts you're referring to

inmates get free meals and a roof over their head, although i wouldn't call them handouts

Native Americans were forced onto reservations, they didn't choose it.

Beebs
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2006, 06:30:11 PM »

i'm also curious as to exactly what handouts you're referring to

inmates get free meals and a roof over their head, although i wouldn't call them handouts

Native Americans were forced onto reservations, they didn't choose it.

It is hard to answer with out causing other controversy. I don't want any more heated debates, at least over this topic. If you really want to talk about it, let me know in a PM. Please, understand, Pix. I just don't want to fight. I hope I have in no way offended you with this refusal to debate.

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2006, 06:30:37 PM »

Native Americans also did not have alcohol until white men introduced it to them. even when they first introduced it, it was obvious that Native Americans had a problem with it and alcohol was used to take advantage of them.

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2006, 06:31:47 PM »

Please, understand, Pix. I just don't want to fight. I hope I have in no way offended you with this refusal to debate.

understood... i'm really kind of wanting to let this discussion die myself  Wink

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM