Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 04:13:15 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  A Fistful Of Dynamite (R2 UK DVD)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Fistful Of Dynamite (R2 UK DVD)  (Read 29937 times)
simon_foulkes
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2003, 02:52:30 PM »

I have seen this film several times on pan and scan only at the 132 min running time on NTSC.  I have recently ordered the UK DVD R2 version and can't wait to see it.  Like nearly everybody else on this thread, I would be sad not have the last flashback so I'll be cringing when it comes to the end.

Can anybody tell me where the best place to obtain the full italian cut from?

Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2003, 12:08:28 PM »

I got mine from www.DVDland.it,it works out about 20 including P+P.If you're a big fan of the movie it's definately worth it-picture quality alone is far better than the UK release.

The clint
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2003, 12:18:04 PM »

If some of you didn't like the ending on the R2 DVD you might take a look at the German ending. Steiger clearly says "Johnnny" here and that wonderful theme plays a little afterwards. I think it's much better that way though we're still missing the flashback scene. But does anyone here know what scenes were missing from the original 121 minute 'kid friendly' version? If anyone does, please tell me.

vindalanda
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2003, 02:00:59 PM »

Hi all,

This film has always been one of my favs. Please could someone tell me where I could get this uk dvd r2 version. I cant seen to find it with any search I've been making.

if its not too much bother, if someone could send me this information to ianswilliamson@hotmail.com I would be very grateful.

Thanks alot.

Half-Soldier
Chicken Thief

"Adios, half-soldier"

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2003, 04:59:51 PM »

Garry has raised some very interesting ideas. I saw this film at the NFT in a restored Italien print - as Gui La Testa - the most complete version I beleive. Naturally, It looked incredible (colours were much more vivid than the restored print of OUATITW, as I told Prof. Frayling) but I had to watch the whole thing in Italien. I saw it again on BBC two the other night in the most complete English version I have seen - but where's the final flashback!. OK, Garry has highlighted this brilliantly with his grabs of the scene. I'd just like to say how moving I found this scene in the cinema, it's so intimate, heartbreaking and mysterious, and I can't think of one reason why an English version would cut it? Can anyone suggest why?

« Last Edit: October 22, 2003, 03:51:13 AM by Half-Soldier » Logged

"People with ropes around their necks don't always hang!"
Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2003, 08:16:35 AM »

I could be wrong,but I seem to remember reading that Leone cut the end flashback because either the Italian censors or the studio did not like the suggestions of a 'menage a trois'.I know that the version released in Italian cinemas in 1971 omitted  the scene although a bit of it,bizzarrely,remained in the shorter UK/US cinema version.

The clint
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2003, 03:57:56 PM »

I remember hearing somewhere that the original italian version omitted the flashback like Jon pointed out. But it might also be that it was cut due to length; it is awfully slow. And what about that scene on the railroad station where Steiger meets the leader outside the train, which is cut rather annoyingly by flipping the screen?

Half-Soldier
Chicken Thief

"Adios, half-soldier"

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2003, 04:03:28 AM »

I remember hearing somewhere that the original italian version omitted the flashback like Jon pointed out. But it might also be that it was cut due to length; it is awfully slow. And what about that scene on the railroad station where Steiger meets the leader outside the train, which is cut rather annoyingly by flipping the screen?

I don't know what is missing here, the flipped screen edit has been in every version I have seen (and yes it is the ugliest cut in all Leone's films) but I am still intrigued by the flashbacks to Ireland. Period. and I would like to know peoples views on it. (Perhaps I should start a new topic). Here's a question: The Irish informant slain by Coburn; is he a friend or a brother? (thus, making the suggestion of a "menage a trois" all the more kinky!) Thoughts please.

"People with ropes around their necks don't always hang!"
The clint
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2003, 08:13:45 AM »

My favorite flashback is the one in the bar where Coburn (in slow motion) shoots down to policemen, and hesitates but then shoots also his best friend (Don't like the brother idea) out of anger. It's mainly the version of the title tune that I find this the best flashback. I think the final flashback is generally too long, obviously showcasing Morricone's theme (It is indeed this version of the theme that is on the soundtrack album). I think it was better as cut, just briefly showing Sean's memories as he's dying. I think the flashback meant that Sean's girlfriend also liked his best friend and they kissing made Sean jealous (probably another reason why Sean killed his friend).
   As for the flipscreen I have only seen one explanation for why it is there. As Steiger jumps out of the train to the revolutionaries arms he's brought to the leader outside the station and they are introduced. Then they walk into the train. I can see no reason why it was cut nor why it wasn't reinserted when restored. Does anyone know?

cheem_2000
Road Apple

'With the Wind!'

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2003, 03:27:33 PM »

My favorite flashback is the one in the bar where Coburn (in slow motion) shoots down to policemen, and hesitates but then shoots also his best friend (Don't like the brother idea) out of anger. It's mainly the version of the title tune that I find this the best flashback. I think the final flashback is generally too long, obviously showcasing Morricone's theme (It is indeed this version of the theme that is on the soundtrack album). I think it was better as cut, just briefly showing Sean's memories as he's dying. I think the flashback meant that Sean's girlfriend also liked his best friend and they kissing made Sean jealous (probably another reason why Sean killed his friend).
   As for the flipscreen I have only seen one explanation for why it is there. As Steiger jumps out of the train to the revolutionaries arms he's brought to the leader outside the station and they are introduced. Then they walk into the train. I can see no reason why it was cut nor why it wasn't reinserted when restored. Does anyone know?
I agree with you that the flashback scene in the pub is a great one but how can you say that the final flashback scene is overlong? Admittedly, its meaning is ambiguous but is has a sadness and a beauty that it is all the more heartbreaking. You can look at it as Sean's last memory before he dies. Poignant, and the music and the images underscore this reality.

The clint
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2003, 12:37:09 PM »

Now, I'm a might bit disappointed by those chaps at MGM as the extras on the Fistful of Dynamite DVD are awfully thin. Just a trailer. Now wouldn't one have liked to see a version with a fully remixed 5.1 soundtrack and a documentary of the making of the film. That would have been something else. Any opinions?

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2003, 01:32:32 PM »

Maybe a documentry on Zapata Westerns in general.
or just the italian 'Once Upon A Leone' Doc with subtitles.  

But the print is still very good.

I just walked into HMV after work and bought it for 12 on its release week. Fanastic really. when ive been chasing a good copy for ages.
In comparison with MGM 'For A Few Dollars More' disc which is a bit naff really, lots of dirt on the print,
Good the Bad The Ugly gets all the attention thats the problem.   Undecided
Im hoping there marketing picks up on Paramount's Once Upon A Time In West 2 disc last month.

MGM do go back and 'Special Edition up' there old titles now and again. Luc Besson's Nikita got the treatment about a month ago.

Actually i think the best thing that could happen on a Leone DVD is an isolated score.
Just Morricone's Sound/Leone's Visuals, no vocals sountrack or sound effects. So you get that magic working at a raw level.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 02:18:55 AM by The Smoker » Logged

Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2003, 01:54:13 AM »

Yeah,I would say that the Dollars trilogy and Fistful Of dynamite all need re-doing as DVDs,and I can see that happening with the Dollars films but maybe not Fistful Of Dynamite as it's a less well known film.

Still,FOD needs a good release.Even the Italian DVD ,while it has the final flashback and superb picture and sound[albeit in Italian],only has a very brief interview with Leone as an extra.A commentary or doc would be nice,if only to examine the endless differences between versions of this film!!

Garry Cowell
Bandido

Did you bring a horse for me?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2004, 03:20:24 AM »

Anyway besides all that crap.

Here's the final flashback... Cool

Regular Version 8.3Mb (Right click to download)

Hi Res Stereo Version 32.7Mb (Right click to download)
To whomever requested it - the final flashback,  LARGE version is back online.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2005, 06:38:03 PM »

1) The italian version also has Steiger saying at the end: "What about me"? ("E io adesso...?)

2) I have seen the movie thrice at the theatres and once on TV and I would have bet that there was more to the rape scene  than I can see on the italian dvd release. But probably I'm not remembering well.

3) Are we sure that the last "flashback" is really such a one?  Couldn't be this just  a way Coburn finds to reconcile himself with the friend he murdered by sharing, though only in his imagination, his girl?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM