Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 07:48:20 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  A Fistful Of Dynamite (R2 UK DVD)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Fistful Of Dynamite (R2 UK DVD)  (Read 29395 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2005, 08:52:05 PM »

3) Are we sure that the last "flashback" is really such a one?  Couldn't be this just  a way Coburn finds to reconcile himself with the friend he murdered by sharing, though only in his imagination, his girl?
I agree that the final "flashback" may not be a memory, but an idyll fantasized "at the point of dying." It's also possible (just) that it is not occuring in Sean's head at all. On this view, the idyllic scene (one from Sean's actual past or not) provides commentary on Sean's final state. For those sceptical of this approach, consider the ending of OUATIA: Leone shows us a detail from Noodles past that is not being remembered by Noodles (he would have been too buzzed to know he'd smiled that way). The purpose of that final scene is, IMHO, to offer Leone's final take on the character. Perhaps the final flashback in DYS works the same way.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2005, 03:57:55 PM »

On this view, the idyllic scene (one from Sean's actual past or not) provides commentary on Sean's final state.

I'm afraid I've lost you here. I can't appreciate unfortunately your comparison with OUTIA because I've watched that movie only twice, when it was premiered in Rome and 15 years ago on tv, and don't remember it well. But if the scene in FOD is meant to be a commentary, then it failed in its aim, because it bears all the main formal traits of the previous flash-backs (slow-motion and soundtrack) clearly meant to be (easily) related to what's passing in Sean's mind. 

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2005, 06:35:55 PM »

It can be both. I think there is room for several different readings, therefore, the final flashback can be Sean's memory, the final flashback can be a fantasy, the final flashback can be a directorial commentary on Sean's final state, or the final flashback can be a combination of the above.

Fulminated
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2005, 12:26:26 PM »

DYS as I prefer to call it is my all-time favorite. There are so many parallels with my own life it is uncanny! It is as though Sergio had tapped into the Jungian collective conscious and sucked aspects of my own life into his artistry.

The theme of this movie could not be more timely! Now that the legitimizing  of torture has rasied its ugly head by the Bush regime, as Sean so poignantly said in DYS, "Now were facing it."

The theme of DYS had to do with patriotism and standing up against the worst that tyrants can throw at a true patriot....TORTURE!! All wars, depressions...the full spectrum of humanity's suffering is rooted in the machinations of the Lucifer worshipping plutocratic elite. They are now plotting an endless war along the lines of George Orwell's 1984!

"NOW WE'RE FACING IT!"   God help humanity!

« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 09:37:09 PM by Christopher » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2005, 04:15:05 PM »

interesting take on things. i don't think we ever know the true story of whats actually going on, ever.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2005, 07:18:06 PM »

Not in life, perhaps, but in art, certainly.

We know exactly what is going on in DYS because SL explicitly states it at the beginning with his (slightly altered) quote from Mao:

"A revolution is not a dinner party, or writing an essay, or painting a picture, or doing embroidery; it cannot be so refined, so leisurely and gentle, so temperate, kind, courteous, restrained and magnanimous. A revolution is an act of violence ...."

DYS is therefore the presentation of violence for the sake of its repudiation.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM