Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 08:48:40 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  A Fistful Of Dynamite (R2 UK DVD)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Fistful Of Dynamite (R2 UK DVD)  (Read 29429 times)
The clint
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2003, 02:35:09 PM »

The first two frames of the flashback are in the shorter version, but it seemingly stopped as they begin kissing, and Coburn getting jealous of Warbeck, this gives also an additional meaning of why Coburn killed Warbeck in the previous flashback.

Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2003, 09:45:30 AM »

I've never seen the long version before, and it's been a very long time since I saw the short version. This film has really grown on me. Some wonderful scenes, with the recreation of Goya's "3rd of May" being the favourite. Pure Leone.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
Garry Cowell
Bandido

Did you bring a horse for me?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2003, 10:48:05 AM »

...curiously enough I found these grabs which I suspect are from the Japanese Double DVD Version of A Fistful of Dynamite...and altho' they've been minimized I suspect - as I feared when I ordered the Italian DVD - that the transfer on that (itself a port of the Italian DVD) will blow the UK R2 out the water as far as colours and sharpness are concerned. Sad

Anyway.

Like I said, I received the restored Italian DVD today so I'll confirm or deny my fears over the weekend and report back here on Monday.

Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2003, 01:40:46 AM »

Yes,please do,as i'm awaiting the same DVD!

Garry Cowell
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2003, 06:39:55 AM »

Well as I feared the Italian (r2) DVD transfer does indeed blow the UK (r2) DVD away as far as colours and sharpness are concerned (obviously due to the fact that this it's sourced from the FILM Restoration that the Italians did (circa 1996) and – from reading through the Stingray DVD diary - are tightly holding on to...  Undecided

The following grabs speak for themselves, feel free to compare them with the same grabs from the UK (r2) early in this thread...

(click images for full size version)

Garry Cowell
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2003, 06:41:37 AM »

Not only does the transfers look far better it's also less cropped than the UK one. What I initially thought was windowboxing during the credits (in order to avoid TV overscan cropping credit text) turns out to be just bad cropping on the right! And then once the windowboxing finishes after the credits, the cropping continues - thankfully without the windowboxing - but NOW it happens to ALL sides of the frame as well! Sad

This isn't END OF THE WORLD stuff tho’ it’s just a might bit disappointing. It’s worth mentioning that I noticed this cropping - top and bottom firstly, as those aren’t affected by TV overscan - while simply flicking through the DVDs at home on my WSTV. And not after I took grabs this morning and put on my 'DVDBeaver' googles! Grin

It’s mainly in the extreme close-ups of faces that I became aware of it when the tight ‘Leone’ close-ups seemed just a bit too tight!

Example gif...

(This amount of cropping is consistent the whole movie - albeit sometimes more top is cropped than bottom and vice versa)

Garry Cowell
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2003, 06:42:31 AM »

Anyway besides all that crap.

Here's the final flashback... Cool

Regular Version 8.3Mb (Right click to download)

Hi Res Stereo Version 32.7Mb (Right click to download)

« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 05:23:15 AM by Garry Cowell » Logged
The clint
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2003, 11:57:34 AM »

Well, bad news about the transfer Sad Anyway the flashback was great though it doesn't really do much for the plot. About 30 seconds were retained in the VHS copy. But this 147 minute copy, isn't it a bit overlong, because I used to think the 132 minute version was long enough already, or is it more fun to watch?

Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2003, 12:12:09 PM »

I personally think the longer version is much better,for instance the scene when Sean and Juan find the bodies of Juan's children is alot longer but also better and far more effective IMO.And there is a very long scene in which Juan finds Sean searching for silver,i won't spoil it but it's very good and makes part of the plot make more sense.There is more violence and swearing too.I wouldn't say the film is dramatically different,but the chamges do improve it IMO.You don't really notice the extra length.

Garry Cowell
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2003, 07:59:29 AM »

Well, bad news about the transfer Sad
I know. Sad

...and I didn't even mention the kick ass restored 5.1 soundtrack! Morricone's beautiful score's never sounded so lush.

I had bought the two DVDs simply with the idea of watching the English one until 2h24mins or thereabouts and then popping in the Italian DVD for the flashback however upon seeing the dramatic picture improvements I've been thinking of ways to use the English soundtrack from Dynamite and the image from Testa.

The current most workable one (IN THEORY) is to dub the English track to MiniDisc and then watch the Italian DVD with the MD track coming through the amp. Then switch the amp to the Italian soundtrack at 2h24min mark. Depending on how good this works out it would be quite feasably to toggle amp at all non-dialogue/dialogue bits too. Thus getting the full benefit of the restored 5.1 sound for most of the film.  Grin

Now why didn't the NFT think of that! Cool

Anyway the flashback was great though it doesn't really do much for the plot. About 30 seconds were retained in the VHS copy. But this 147 minute copy, isn't it a bit overlong, because I used to think the 132 minute version was long enough already, or is it more fun to watch?
If you've only seen the cut 132min verison of A Fistful of Dynamite then you haven't seen it!

The clint
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2003, 07:06:16 AM »

I have to disagree. The 138 minutes cut was the only the version available in English until 1996. And that was the way it was intended to be seen in America and was seen by critics, and some prints were even running 121 minutes. And it was shortened because it was too long originally (and too violent), so I have seen it about 4 times already, just in truncated form (And what a great film it is). One customer at amazon.com said “I have seen both versions, the European one and the American one, and I don’t think it was a loss for the film to be issued in a new, shorter version, actually, it was quite rewarding for the story. I think the European version had too many moments where you just waited for something to happen”. And I’ve heard many people say something alike. Maybe the shorter version will be issued on DVD in the future, or perhaps it has, like some people say, had its day.  Undecided

Pablo
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2003, 12:37:25 PM »

Smiley Smiley Grin

Garry

Can you please let me know were you purchased  Giu La Testa Huh Huh

Garry Cowell
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2003, 03:25:22 AM »

Can you please let me know were you purchased  Giu La Testa Huh Huh
I got mine from http://www.internetbookshop.it/dvd/hme/hmepge.asp

...but I believe http://www.intermezzomedia.com/ are just as good and cheaper too!

Just to re-clarify: It's ITALIAN ONLY with NO English SUBS!

Pablo
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2003, 11:09:07 AM »

Thanks Garry

I ordered it today in the meantime I converted the Flashback you posted to Svcd and played in on my dvd player looks great in widescreen even at Svcd quality. Grin Grin Grin

The clint
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2003, 03:40:17 PM »

OK, got my copy of the DVD yesterday after much consideration and I don't regret it. I haven't watched it all yet but I watched those scenes absent from the short version. The prologue and Steiger's anthill-pissing I thought was dreadful to be honest (I like the short version's opening much more which starts with a still frame of Steiger), I watched the nighttime scene where Steiger blows up Coburn's employer and I thought it was great and also essential to the plot (I always kept wondering why Sean suddenly decided to join Juan and why at one time he's looking for mines but suddenly became revolutionary). Then I watched the cave scene which was also great and nothing I had pictured (Though the short version's scene was quicker it lost some of the point given in the longer cut). But that ending was terrible. The short version had a much better ending with the question "What about me?" Even the original Italian had a question at the end (I don't know what he said because I don't know Italian). This ending also kills the line "Johnnnaaaaa" with music. But I don't consider the longer cut to be as bad as I though it would be. I'm going to watch it completely tomorrow.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM