Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 10:45:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Star Trek II: The Wrath of KHAAAAAAN!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Trek II: The Wrath of KHAAAAAAN!  (Read 2361 times)
BeauButabi
Gunslinger

Hail to the king, baby!

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2006, 08:25:09 PM »

Anyone else LOVE this movie? I watched it again recently and it's still my favorite of the ST films. Everything about it is great. Discuss.

"Who the hell are you anyways, Smith?"
"I'm a British nanny, and I'm dangerous."
- Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 12:28:59 PM »

Yes, excellent sci-fi adventure this one. The best of the feature films with ST 3 coming in a close 2nd. I really enjoyed Montalban's reprisal of the Khan role from the TV series episode SPACE SEED.

I never thought about it before but recently I noticed that Shatner and Montalban never get to share a scene together. It doesn't hurt the film but it just felt a bit odd.

I remember when I saw this in the theater in 82 many people claimed (and still do) that Montalan wore a fake chest for the movie. It was real. Montalban was always a stout guy, not quite William Smith big but close.

James Horners rousing score is one of the best ever and really establishes the mood of two warring "naval" vessels in space. Subtle hints of this score would surface the following year in Horner's most ambitious score he would do for the movie KRULL.

It's interesting that in the scene where you first meet Khan he claims to remember Chekov  but on the first season episode, the character of Chekov didn't come on board, so to speak, until season two.

I also remember when Khan puts those nasty creatures into the two men's ears everybody was a bit disturbed not to mention the entire theater crying when Spock died (which, incidentally, was the only way Nimoy would return for the 2nd film if they killed his character off).

Definitely highly recommended even if you're not a fan of the show. Personally, I only like the original anyways.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 05:00:09 PM »

Funnily enough this was on British telly this afternoon, and I gave it a spin again. Very enjoyable guff, though it felt badly dated. I blame the hairstyles, rather than the FX or the Shat's eccentric "acting".

My fave STAR TREK film was their "save the whales" excursion, though again I haven't seen it for yonks.

I had to nip out briefly at one point to buy the newspapers, so may have missed this. Is it ever actually explained just why Khan felt such wrath against Kirk in the first place? In the origional show things ended if not happily betwixt them, then at least in a form of grudging mutual respect.

BTW. Have you seen Captain Bill Shatner's nervous breakdown on live TV otherwise known as "Rocket Man":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLZly2yIGlo&mode=related&search=

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 10:38:16 AM »

Yes it is explained in the film why he harbors hatred for Kirk. It's explained during Khan's first scene.

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 11:29:51 AM »

BTW. Have you seen Captain Bill Shatner's nervous breakdown on live TV otherwise known as "Rocket Man":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLZly2yIGlo&mode=related&search=

Grin

howabout Stewie's Rocket man?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w95eCmyLl6U&mode=related&search=

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM