Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 01:36:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Gunfight At The Ok Corral (1957)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gunfight At The Ok Corral (1957)  (Read 8076 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 01:29:27 PM »

Yikes! He's on screen for what, about a minute-and-a-half?

I mean the whole opening that he was involved with is the best part of the film.
That and the first confrontation between Ringo and Doc in the hotel room.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 05:02:02 PM »

I used to think this was merely a good but flawed movie with serious pacing issues, but I was wrong. While the pacing gets a bit wonky in the second act, this is a beautifully directed movie. The use of low angles were excellent and just about everything visually in this movie is wonderful: the use of color, the techicolor, set design, etc.

One thing that sort of surprised me is how good the sound mix is. It's incredible, especially in the excellent climax. I'm assuming it had to be years ahead of its time. The gunshots sound just awesome.

As for the cast, that's on point as well. Lancaster and Douglas are gold together and the supporting cast is very impressive as well.

Sturges is one of the most under-appreciated Western directors, and I was certainly guilty of not giving him his due at one point.

9/10.

I really want to see Last Train From Gun Hill again. I'm hoping it's crafted just as well or close to 'Gunfight'. I also have The Law and Jake Wade dvr'd too. It will be interesting to see how much it improves on a repeated view because I really underrated prime Sturges years ago.

For the yanks with cable here, the Retro HD movie channel has a bad ass HD transfer of 'Gunfight' that's been playing a lot recently.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 09:40:41 PM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 05:50:17 PM »

I really want to see Last Train From Gun Hill again. I'm hoping it's crafted just as well or close to 'Gunfight'. I also have The Law and Jake Wade dvr'd too. It will be interesting to see how mich it improves on a repeated view because I really underrated prime Sturges years ago.

I dvr'd The Law and Jake Wade recently. Watched the first 2/3 or so last night. It's pretty excruciating to watch.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 08:52:32 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 08:54:14 PM »

Just watched the ending of THE LAW AND JAKE WADE, and it's decent. If you wanna sit through a shitty movie for a decent end, this movie is for you  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 01:57:58 AM »

Just watched the ending of THE LAW AND JAKE WADE, and it's decent. If you wanna sit through a shitty movie for a decent end, this movie is for you  Wink

Drink, I still have often not the slightest idea what you see, respectively not see in films. How one who likes westerns can view this film as "excruciating" is a mystery. Or a miracle.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 04:18:40 AM »

Drink, I still have often not the slightest idea what you see, respectively not see in films. How one who likes westerns can view this film as "excruciating" is a mystery. Or a miracle.

If you can tell me what is enjoyable about the first 2/3 of THE LAW AND JAKE WADE ... Especially, say, the first half, before they arrive at the ghost town. Hostage Westerns usually bore me.

Other than Widmark always being fun to watch, the first half of this movie has zero going for it IMO.

And btw, say what you will about location scenery - I saw a TCM print that did not look great and maybe affected it, maybe the dvd has better image quality - but anyway, when they set up camp, there are at least two scenes where they are obviously in a studio set and not outside. It is soooooooo bad.

btw, I think we should move this discussion over to the thread for THE LAW AND JAKE WADE; no reason it should be here in the G@OKC thread

« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 10:43:12 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 05:28:49 AM »

Hostage Westerns usually bore me.
Hostage anythings bore me.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 08:40:21 AM »

Hostage anythings bore me.

Western anythings bore you.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 11:01:23 PM »

Saw G@OKC  for the second time. (On TCM, part of the 31 Days of Oscar).

The first time I saw it was about 7 years ago; it was one of the first AW's I ever watched.

Anyway, here is my opinion: This is a pretty crappy movie.

I have never been a huge Lancaster fan. To me he was basically average: didn't help or hurt a movie he was in.  Maybe he was a gymnast and the girls love this body, but that doesn't do anything for me. Kirk Douglas is alright as Doc. Rhonda Fleming is always beautiful to look at. BEAUTIFUL. Jo Van Fleet is hideous and annoying.

This movie is basically a soap opera, with six-shooters and cowboy hats.

And this film's music/dong is a contender for the single worst and most annoying score of any movie in history. Dmitri Tiomkin  composed some of the greatest western scores of all time. How he managed to compose this is beyond me. He must  have been drinking too much potato vodka.

What is good about this movie? basically 4 things: A) Lee Van Cleef's few minutes on screen.
B) the production design. the sets were terrific, interiors, town exteriors, and landscapes
C) Cinematography: the color was outstanding. the print I saw on TCM is very nice.
D) The final shootout. Of course it is historically inaccurate, but if you forget about that crap, it is a well-done shootout.

And I have to repeat: That score was simply excruciating. No other way to put it.

This movie gets a 5.5/10 in my book

p.s.  Earlier in this thread, I saw some people comparing this movie to My Darling Clementine. As that discussion took place several years ago, I will give the offenders the benefit of the doubt and hope that they have realized their foolishness over the past few years  Wink (I myself sure as hell wrote some silly posts years ago that I would be embarrassed if anyone brought up now  Wink ) But right now, anyone who even thinks to compare this movie favorably to My Darling Clementine ought to have his head examined  Evil

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 10:45:46 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2017, 01:56:26 AM »

I like the score, I like the film.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2017, 10:07:45 AM »

I like the score, I like the film.
That pretty much seals its fate.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Spikeopath
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2017, 02:16:22 AM »

It consistently divides Western fans, as this thread proves. Me? I accept it has problems but I still love it.

Doc and Wyatt.

The Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, Wednesday, October 26, 1881, gets an all star glossy Hollywood telling. Directed by John Sturges and adapted by Leon Uris from an article written by George Scullin. It stars Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, Rhonda Fleming, Jo Van Fleet, John Ireland and Lyle Bettger. Music is by Dimitri Tiomkin and cinematography by Charles B. Lang Junior.

I don't want any part of him. I don't even like him.

Actually The Gunfight at the O.K. Corral as a title is something of a bum steer, for Sturges' two hour movie gives up just over five minutes to the actual event that continues to fascinate over 130 years later. In fact, for such a glorious sounding title, it's arguably surprising that there is very little action in the movie. For what unfolds in that two hour running time is what director (Sturges would be bemused by its success and ten years later took another stab at the legend and made Hour of the Gun) and leading actors agreed was a very talky movie, the emphasis is on a friendship, a love really, between John Henry "Doc" Holliday and Wyatt Berry Stapp Earp. This is one of the Western genre's greatest "buddy-buddy" movies.

Listen, preacher, being here is causing me a lot of embarrassment. Some people are even taking me for a lawman.

In spite of its talky nature and being very much a "town" Western, the film was hugely successful and became a leading forerunner for all star Westerns. It wasn't all sweetness and light, mind. In the beginning Douglas had already turned down the role of Earp before accepting the part of Holliday (Bogart was close, Palance and Widmark also considered) and Lancaster had to be "bribed" to take on the role of Wyatt (being pretty vociferous about the talky nature of the screenplay). The two leading men were initially at odds with each other, but they would form a respectful friendship from here on in and their chemistry as Doc and Wyatt is why the film succeeds as a "literate" piece.

All gunfighters are lonely. They live in fear. They die without a dime, a woman or a friend.

It has a mixed reputation amongst Western aficionados, which is understandable. Some of the dialogue is cheesy and the likes of Fleming and DeForest Kelley are in turn badly written and under used. There's also the historical fudging of the story and the sparsity of landscape photography, the latter of which a crime given it's a VistaVision Technicolor production. The town set designs often look artificial, a problem since 90% of the picture is set to town background, but if viewed as a story of a friendship set to the famous shoot-out, it strikes all the right notes; including Frankie Laine's warbling of the clippy cloppy catchy title tune. It should have been titled Doc and Wyatt, though. 8/10

Region 2 DVD.

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2017, 10:14:32 AM »

I'm surprised so many people here find the movie just OK. I love it. It may be a bit talky but as a "psychological Western" that's fine with me.

I don't see why Burt Lancaster is supposed to be miscast. He manages to never let his the law-abiding and upright Marshal get one-note and boring which could easily have been the case with a lesser actor.

Jo Van Fleet may not be the prettiest actress, but her scenes with Douglas are fascinating. Their relationship is an odd one, they seem to despise themselves (Kate knows she's very near the gutter) and each other, but can't quite be without the other. Both are self-destructive, but need each other. I'm sure there is a modern word for it, but frankly I don't need it.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2017, 10:23:28 AM »

I'm surprised so many people here find the movie just OK. I love it. It may be a bit talky but as a "psychological Western" that's fine with me.

I don't see why Burt Lancaster is supposed to be miscast. He manages to never let his the law-abiding and upright Marshal get one-note and boring which could easily have been the case with a lesser actor.

Jo Van Fleet may not be the prettiest actress, but her scenes with Douglas are fascinating. Their relationship is an odd one, they seem to despise themselves (Kate knows she's very near the gutter) and each other, but can't quite be without the other. Both are self-destructive, but need each other. I'm sure there is a modern word for it, but frankly I don't need it.

Lancaster doesn't quite look right where is the handlebar moustache? lol. Douglas doesn't look too sickly either if I remember right. Check out Doc (1973) if you ever get a chance completely different take.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2017, 10:30:00 AM »

I'll check it out, Joe. The entire Doc Holliday/Wyatt Earp myth is fascinating to me.

And I can live without the 'stache.  Grin

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:33:41 AM by Jessica Rabbit » Logged

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM