Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 05:07:23 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Left Handed Gun (1958)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Left Handed Gun (1958)  (Read 6882 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2010, 10:08:16 AM »

Didn't like it much. Newman is too... Newman, all the time, and he's way too intellectual for Billy. Plus he's emo. But this is where the crucified hero shot at surrendering scene first came to picture, I think.

Yep. And it's as trite here as it usually is.

Saturday nights with Groggy
sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 11:57:17 AM »

george sanders winds up slapping guys in practically every movie he's been in.  when george went and took the easy way out he left behind a note that said " i got board " . Newman was looking real snappy w/ that panama hat he wore. had no idea billiy bonney was such a slave to fashion which is more than i can say for that estaban rojo fellow

« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 01:51:11 PM by sargatanas » Logged
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 04:45:13 PM »

And killing Ollinger... I barely remember how it looked in this movie. Ol' Sam made it forever with "keep the change, Bob".  Evil

"Does this unit have a soul?"
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 02:07:06 AM »

Penn's staging of Ollinger's death was very innovative for a 50s film.

He uses a slo mo shot (first in a western?) of Ollinger falling backwards, then makes in the midst of the shot a cut, and shows Ollinger now from behind by using fast motion slamming to the ground. This is followed by a another unusual for the 50s shot of Ollinger lying on the ground with one of his boots standing in the foreground. The impact of the shotgun shot has thrown him out of his boot.
There is more well made violence in the film, but the theatrical staging of Billy's death is indeed a bit disappointing.

Newman is still good, but could be much better without the Brando-like overacting, and Dehner, an otherwise fine supporting actor for westerns, is here only a pale Garrett.

Intelligent western which sometimes overdoes it with trying to be too "intellectual". 

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 08:55:27 AM »

Is there a good Billy movie where he is really young, not overacting, and nice? (And preferably with a good Garrett too.)

"Does this unit have a soul?"
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 12:16:35 PM »

Audie Murphy with his baby-face was Billy in a forgettable film. But he also was already 25 or 26.

A Billy film with a teenager who goes through puberty in the lead hasn't surfaced yet. As far as I know.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 02:48:21 PM »

A Billy film with a teenager who goes through puberty in the lead hasn't surfaced yet. As far as I know.

It has:

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=2348.0

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 09:21:28 PM »

Ah yes.....

...that film.

That was possibly one of the most absurd westerns I've ever seen in my life, it's just so poorly done. A waste of a quirky musical score and good set pieces (town drenched in mud).

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 02:26:23 AM »

But Pollard was 23 years old, and as I remember him in Dirty Little Billy (last saw it in the early 80s), he looked even older.
Ok, Billy was at the time of his death 21, but DLB was set before he arrived in the Lincoln County, and so must be set in the mid-70s at an age of 15 - 17.

In fact Pollard didn't looked like a teenager in Bonnie and Clyde, which was made 5 years earlier.

sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 09:14:10 AM »

nick nolte mde his debut in DLB
MJP = punk

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 11:07:59 AM by sargatanas » Logged
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 02:40:06 AM »

Watched this in one piece for the very first time. Yeah, this is a mediocre experiment and one boring as hell too, though with occasional flashes of... of... I almost wrote brilliancy, except that's not the word I'm searching for. Let's just say it shows a few interesting touches every now and then, but that's about it, they're not enough to cover the rest. Poor Paul Newman left almost stranded in front of the camera, I felt sorry for him in a couple of occasions (the one when he's doing the show in front of the jukebox comes to mind). Just doesn't work, sorry.

I wish I could say something good but it just doesn't come to mind. Arthur Penn's first movie: shows a certain amount of talent, but he just isn't up to the task.

6/10 (on a very good day)

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 02:44:08 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2011, 05:38:03 AM »

Here is an interesting quote from Frayling:

"[Leone] didn't like psychology. Freudian Westerns got on his nerves. Films like "The Left-Handed Gun" with Paul Newman, where, you know, you feel if there'd been a social worker around, Billy the Kid would never have happened. Films like that, he didn't like. He liked films where, you know, a lot of shooting, a lot of riding, a lot of action, a lot of landscape. So he wanted to bring back a kind of innocence of the Western; it had become too sophisticated."

[This quote is from a discussion Frayling had with Terry Gross on NPR on August 1, 2005 (it's available for download as an audiobook on iTunes for like $1.99 or something; it's real nice, it's more than 40 minutes long!)

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:36:13 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2014, 10:38:52 PM »

just saw the movie for the first time (dvr'd it on TCM, part of Paul Newman Day on Summer Under the Stars) didn't like it. From when Billy escapes jail, the movie gets better, but overall this is a crappy movie. 5/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM