Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 11:24:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Wyatt Earp (1994)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wyatt Earp (1994)  (Read 13788 times)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 02:34:48 PM »

Not really. It's just as inaccurate as Tombstone, albeit in different and generally less obvious ways. It's a decent movie with some strong-points (I think Costner is probably the best screen Wyatt Earp, Quaid is a fun Doc and more realistic than Kilmer's version) but Tombstone is far more entertaining.

It is though. I've read the biography of Earp. This is a far better screen adapation than the made for T.V. looking "Tombstone." I like "Tombstone", don't get me wrong, but so many people hold that movie so high on a pedestal. It's ridiculous in my opinion. I prefer that more EPIC result of "Wyatt Earp."

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 02:58:43 PM »

Which biography of Earp? There are quite a few.

Made-for-TV looking Tombstone? You do know that Wyatt Earp was originally conceived as a miniseries, right?

As for inaccuracies, why did Wyatt Earp recycle Tombstone's conceits of having Marshall White as an old geezer when he was really in his late twenties, or having Morgan and Virgil shot on the same night? The OK Corral gunfight is wildly inaccurate, or at least follows the rather specious Clanton account of the gunfight too closely. (Tombstone's is exaggerated, but it gets all of the basic facts correct, except Ike's shooting from the photo shop and Josie's presence as a witness.) All of the vendetta ride stuff is pretty inaccurate too, particularly the Stinking Springs shootout and the death of Johnny Ringo.

Tombstone isn't a paragon of historical accuracy, but it's dressed up as an action film, so it can get away with more IMO. Wyatt Earp wears the pretensions of being an accurate epic, when it really is as inaccurate as any other Earp film except My Darling Clementine.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 02:59:55 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 06:39:29 PM »

I read Wyatt Earp: The Life Behind the Legend and also have read about him in other books as well.

Here's the book...

http://www.amazon.com/Wyatt-Earp-Life-Behind-Legend/dp/0471283622/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221697887&sr=1-1

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2008, 06:43:47 PM »

I own that book actually. It doesn't really contradict my opinion, from my recollections.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2008, 07:01:24 PM »

I own that book actually. It doesn't really contradict my opinion, from my recollections.

Well, I wasn't saying you contradicted yourself, I was just saying that I thought "Wyatt Earp" was a little bit more believable compared to "Tombstone." Just my opinion.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2009, 07:13:19 PM »

A regret was this wasn't conceived as a mini-series. I never found it dragging if not towards the end. The scenes at the train station and the other shootings after the gunfight are disappointing, if compared to the ones in HOG or Tombstone. But still this is my favourite Earp movie with HOG and Gunfight. Costner is not my actor but I can't see he's worse than Kurt Russell. Quaid is probably the best Holliday of the screen. 8\10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2009, 12:50:58 PM »

Pretty sure it was intended as a miniseries at first and then edited down into a film. At the very least I've seen it played on WGN/TBS in a "miniseries" format.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2009, 01:19:14 PM »

I'd give it maybe a 6/10, but I definitely agree it would work better as a mini series.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2009, 02:49:50 PM »

Kevin Costner is IMO the best screen Earp to date (having not seen Hour of the Gun), and Quaid gives Kilmer a run for his money as Doc. Pity the film itself wasn't better.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2009, 03:26:02 PM »

Fonda is the best Earp. Garner comes second. 

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2009, 03:51:20 PM »

Kevin Costner is IMO the best screen Earp to date (having not seen Hour of the Gun)

I don't know about that. Costner's Earp is basically the same character Costner always plays in Ws (and quite a few other movies, to be honest). Jake from Silverado, Dunbar from Dances with Wolves, the guy from Open Range... If we'd put them one next to the other and have them recite a couple of not so well known lines from those movies I'd have a hard time figuring which movie does each one come from. Still, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing; Costner is good in portraying rugged cowboys from the Old West, no argument about that, it's just that I think the character of Earp deserves more than being just one in the line.

And although he's perhaps not the most historically accurate and is certainly the most artificially flavored, because of his onscreen charm and presence more than anything else, my vote goes to Fonda's Earp.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 03:53:30 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2009, 03:52:45 PM »

Anybody saw this?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2009, 03:53:15 PM »

Jake in Silverado is a clownish goofball. That's pretty far from any of the other roles you mention.

Fonda is great in MDC but he isn't really Earpish to me.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2009, 03:55:51 PM »

Jake in Silverado is a clownish goofball. That's pretty far from any of the other roles you mention.

Ah, he was younger then, but that's the whole difference.

Fonda is great in MDC but he isn't really Earpish to me.

I concord.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2009, 03:59:21 PM »

Anybody saw this?

That's the television series... I saw bits of it but it was nothing I really cared to remember.

Apparently, there's was a sequel of some sort: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111757/

Hugh O'Brian's last role, as it turns out.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM