Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 07:08:05 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Wyatt Earp (1994)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wyatt Earp (1994)  (Read 14184 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2009, 04:03:53 PM »

I don't know about that. Costner's Earp is basically the same character Costner always plays in Ws (and quite a few other movies, to be honest). Jake from Silverado, Dunbar from Dances with Wolves, the guy from Open Range... If we'd put them one next to the other and have them recite a couple of not so well known lines from those movies I'd have a hard time figuring which movie does each one come from. Still, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing; Costner is good in portraying rugged cowboys from the Old West, no argument about that, it's just that I think the character of Earp deserves more than being just one in the line.

In WE Costner is credible when he changes from young man to mature: no mean feat. And this from one who can't put up with him and his movies, though he doesn't irritate me like Tom Cruise can.

But I sti.ll can't understand all the hatred against this movie, which is a very good one.  

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2009, 04:05:02 PM »

That's the television series... I saw bits of it but it was nothing I really cared to remember.

Apparently, there's was a sequel of some sort: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111757/

Hugh O'Brian's last role, as it turns out.

I'm half sure it was aired over here too and probably never cared to watch it. Sounds interesting though.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2009, 04:20:15 PM »

But I sti.ll can't understand all the hatred against this movie, which is a very good one.

I don't hate it, but I understand perfectly why many don't like it: Cosmatos' Tombstone, that came out the same year (or was it the year before?), with a serious departure from those earlier ''Wyatt Earp, one of the fathers of our great nation'' serious-type walkie-talkie Ws, and with probably Val Kilmer's best career performance (although a bit clownish and excessive) was one hell of a entertaining flick. Had Wyatt Earp been made 3-5 years before or after Tombstone, I'm convinced it would have been treated better.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 04:34:47 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2009, 05:37:12 PM »

The difference between the two films is:

Tombstone - fun, well-acted entertainment Western which happens to be more accurate than most Earp films (not a great achievement mind you).

Wyatt Earp - serious, dramatic (perhaps overly so) biopic/would-be epic. Has its moments but not really entertaining. It's arguably more inaccurate than Tombstone which moots its ostensible purpose.

Tombstone has by far the better cast of the two, aside from Costner and Quaid none of WE's cast (even the good actors like Gene Hackman, Tom Sizemore, Jim Caviezel, Adam Baldwin, Michael Madsen) has much anything to do. Tombstone on the other hand has (besides Russell and Kilmer) Michael Biehn, Powers Boothe and Stephen Lang as three of nastiest baddies in Western history (with Thomas Haden Church and Robert John Burke on bench support), plus Harry Carey Jr., Charlton Heston, Michael Rooker, Buck Taylor, Terry O'Quinn, Jon Tenney, the always-kickass Sam Elliot and a surprisingly tolerable Bill Paxton. Granted, it also has Dana Delaney, Jason Priestly, and Billy Zane...

« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 05:46:08 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2009, 06:46:33 PM »

Anybody saw this?

Didn't I send you that in that TV compilation, one of the TV episodes sampled was of this show. It's the one with the constant choir of voices as a soundtrack.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2009, 09:50:37 PM »

Quote from: cigar joe
Didn't I send you that in that TV compilation, one of the TV episodes sampled was of this show. It's the one with the constant choir of voices as a soundtrack.

You're probably right. I'll check later. 

uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2009, 11:51:40 PM »

is there a preference among those who have seen it for the longer version?
thx!

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2009, 12:03:06 AM »

I saw the episode. Embarassing. Cheap-looking.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2009, 03:45:49 AM »

the whole series had that constant chorus, lol.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2009, 05:30:42 AM »

I like Tombstone more too. This was long and extremely boring, but I don't like Costner at the first place. Except Robin Hodd, but I keep re-watching that for Alan Rickman.  Wink

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2010, 10:37:47 PM »

I just rewatched this tonight, for the first time in ages. I liked it a lot more than I remembered. Slow and overlong, but mostly well-done. To paraphrase the Jenkins-Titoli argument on the Tom Horn thread, it's more "authentic" than accurate, in that it gives a fairly accurate overall picture of Wyatt Earp while getting a lot of details wrong.

I will register a strong dissent over the Tombstone scenes, which are badly botched. They do a bad job establishing the Cowboys, they depict Curly Bill's shooting of Marshall White as a pre-meditated murder, and the build-up to the Gunfight is mishandled (they don't even mention Virgil buffaloing Ike the morning of the shootout). About all it gets right is the depiction of Wyatt and Josie's relationship. The Gunfight itself is a let-down, screwing up the sequence of shots and a lot of other details. Nor does it have the justification of being exciting - it might be the dullest staging of the shootout on film. Tombstone, for all its Hollywood stylization, is much more accurate in this regard.

For the most part though, it gets Earp's character right - he's a morally ambiguous character, neither good nor bad, and often bull-headed, stubborn and violent. I also liked the tension between Wyatt and the Earp wives, which is handled better than one might expect. I still like Costner more than I do Kurt Russell, but the supporting cast in Tombstone is much better. Other than Dennis Quaid (who offers a very different, but still enjoyable, interpretation of Doc than Val Kilmer) and Joanna Going all of the Tombstone equivalents are better. It does get bonus points for depicting James and Warren Earp, who are almost always left out of Earp films.

This movie is in the 7-8 Netherland for me. If it weren't for the lackluster Tombstone scenes and the lame epilogue it might have scored higher.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 10:43:18 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2011, 07:14:08 AM »

Ok getting "Gunfight at the OK Corral" last week and a short time before that picking up "Tombstone" sort of piqued my interest in "Earp" related films, so while at the local video rental shop the other day I rented Costner's "Wyatt Earp".

So far now I've seen Ford's "My Darling Clementine" (1946), Sturges' "GatOKC" (1957), Sturges' "Hour Of The Gun" (1967) Perry's "Doc" (1971), Cosmatos' "Tombstone" (1993) and Kasdan's "Wyatt Earp".

The only film I'm missing that coverd the events around the OK Corral is I believe Cahn's thinly veiled "Law & Order" (1932). Other films depict Wyatt Earp as a cameo type character (Winchester 73) but I'm just really concerned with these films depicting the famous shootout.

This one was a tad long basically a biopic.....

To be continued.....

There were also two films in the 30's entitled "Frontier Marshal," though I have not seen them and I'm not sure how much they focus on the gunfight at OK corral

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2014, 03:34:58 PM »

Well, it took me 20 years but i finally got around to this.
Like most moviegoers in 1994, I opted to see TOMBSTONE.
I made the right decision.

WE , despite all the impressive aspects of production, cast, score etc. just does not work.
It is way too long. Did anyone really enjoy those early courtship scenes?

An honorable failure.
bruce marshall

uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2014, 03:37:28 PM »

It is a bit to long but I honestly wasn't as bored during some sequences as other people. Maybe it's just my love for Epic's?

Did we really need a wedding sequence?
Things like that could have easily been cut>

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM