Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 06:19:30 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Man of the West (1958)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Man of the West (1958)  (Read 13714 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 08:13:50 AM »

Thanks for those  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 06:57:38 PM »

CJ, I agree with Cooper being far too old to play this character but I don't think the lack of gunplay is a problem.
There are only six baddies, having a gunfight every ten minutes would make this movie about 45 minutes long.
And as far as violence goes that fist fight is pretty brutal.
Classic.
9/10

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 08:52:08 PM »

This would be a great subject for remake, they would just have to find the actors.  Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 05:55:36 AM »

I watched the ending again last night, remembering that it was the best part of the film. The ghost town sequence disappointed me, though; Coop does too many stupid things, and gets off without having to pay for any of them. And the final confrontation with Lee J. Cobb: laughably bad.

This is an awful film.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 09:12:48 AM »

Yeah, that review was pretty much spot on, though it's been some time since I saw the movie. My biggest problem with the Mann Westerns that I have seen is that the usual sub par score seems to play continuously throughout the movie. I can't stand that technique. That's about all I can bring to this discussion.

Nice concept, shoddy execution.

FC, you were right about this one.

I gave this another chance and I completely change my stance. MotW is a great western. however, my feelings on the score remain unchanged, it never creates rhythm and atmosphere but Mann's direction negates it. Cobb is undeniably certifiably insane for taking the character to the degree in which we see, but I can't say that it didn't work overall. It succeeded far more than it failed and I enjoyed watching him. And remember about the age scenario, Cobb was more of a mentor to Cooper than a father. I didn't have a problem with it. he didn't need to be 20 years his senior.

The ghost town sequence is amazing from an art direction standpoint. There isn't one thing I could nitpick about it: no unrealistic looking store signs, the dreaded lime green paint, oddly placed homes, etc. Amazing.

As fas as the fistfight, personally I think it carried on for much too long. Cooper should have knocked him out quick and stripped him, since the latter is really the heart of the scene. Mann couldn't top the fist fight from Devil's Doorway.

Had Mann taken the Bresson route and elimated the score and added some noise effects to the soundtrack, this would be a masterpiece. Never has my opinion on a movie changed so much upon second view.

Do you guys think this is the first revisionist western or does Mann's Devil's Doorway qualify? Either way, I'd say this is at least a proto-revisionist, if that's a term lol.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 08:54:45 PM »

MotW is a great western.

I'm glad I'm no longer alone.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 04:12:15 AM »

Brian Garfield (one of the greatest Cooper's admirers) lambasts the flick as one of Cooper's poorest. I think he's right. Actually his review steals words from my mouth to a T. Many faults and qualities of the movie have been pointed out in the thread. But Cooper's age remains the most apparent. What doesn't persuade in the movie (which has a pair of very good scenes: the train hold-up and the shooting) is the meanness of the villains which doesn't come quite to the fore. 5\10

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 11:54:43 AM »

I re-watched this film a few nights ago and I agree with everyone that it's a very good western but there are flaws.

Gary Cooper's age bugged me alot, simply because it's so obvious. I didn't have a problem with Lee J. Cobb, actually I thought his performance was excellent. He was over-the-top indeed but his character was meant to be and he pulled off the insane old man perfectly. The biggest problem I have with the film which keeps it from being a classic is the horrible climax. Like Jenkins said, it's laughably bad.

Other than that, it made excellent use of scenery and brisked along at a good pace. To top it off, it has three stand-out scenes which elevates the film among the rest of the crop; the train sequences, the introduction of Dock Tobin, and the fist fight.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 03:43:32 PM »

I think I said this before but this is the kind of film that Hollywood should remake a good film with flaws not flawless classics. Redo it with the flaws fixed, now all you'd have to do is come up with a decent believable cast.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 04:03:47 PM »

Watched it once (or twice) and didn't dig it much. I might give it another try sometime in the winter, though.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 11:27:50 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 11:59:48 PM »

. What doesn't persuade in the movie (which has a pair of very good scenes: the train hold-up and the shooting) is the meanness of the villains which doesn't come quite to the fore. 5\10

What about the scene where they force Julie London to strip?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 03:20:56 PM »

What about the scene where they force Julie London to strip?

Julie London is very sexy in this movie. Much more than in The Girl Can't Help It where she strove very hard for it. But then what did you expect in a western featuring Cooper? That scene is ridiculous."Take off your shoes, you can leave your hat on". But even more ridiculous is the scene of the retribution in kind. A lot of good ideas wasted because of censorship, miscasting and what not. Yes, a remake would be in order.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2010, 04:09:35 PM »

Ran into somebody on IMDB who interviewed Anthony Quinn.
Quinn claimed that when Cooper got the starring role in Man Of The West Stewart never spoke to Mann ever again (the role was promised to Stewart early in production).

It probably didn't help that Stewart was good friends with John Wayne, who had a fued with Cooper ever since High Noon.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 05:34:54 PM »

I think the Wayne-Cooper feud more came out of Patricia Neal's dislike of Wayne, when the two worked together on Operation Pacific.

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 05:39:47 PM »

I think the Wayne-Cooper feud more came out of Patricia Neal's dislike of Wayne, when the two worked together on Operation Pacific.

That isn't what Quinn said, if IMDB guy is to be believed.
Perhaps you're right though, in which case the High Noon scrap only fueled the fire.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM