Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 05:36:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Man of the West (1958)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Man of the West (1958)  (Read 14017 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2006, 08:41:57 PM »

Reminder, that "Man Of The West" is playing on TCM on Thu. December 21, 02:00 AM EST.

Wierd Noirish Western (Gary Cooper), with some bonus train footage for us railfans  Wink

« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 05:50:58 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 10:11:07 PM »

Reminder, that "Man Of The West" is playing on TCM on Thu. December 21, 02:00 AM EST.

Wierd Noirish Western (Gary Cooper), with some bonus train footage for us railfans  Wink

Aw, man! Why's it so damn late! Reminds me of the time they played Lawrence of Arabia starting at midnight (that was before I had the DVD so it made me mad)

I watched some of this when it was on TCM a few months ago, and I remember it being darn good.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 04:21:15 AM »

yea late but I'll record it

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 09:52:21 PM »

Just a reminder at 2 AM tonight TCM !

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 09:53:12 PM »

Just a reminder at 2 AM tonight TCM !

Thanks, better tape it.

Now the question is... should I tape over Sunset Boulevard or North by Northwest?....

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 09:54:05 PM »

Thanks, better tape it.

Now the question is... should I tape over Sunset Boulevard or North by Northwest?....

Hmm...

Neither.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 09:56:51 PM »

Hmm...

Neither.

Hehehe. NOT AN OPTION. Don't have any blank tapes.

Think I'll tape over (with some regret) Sunset Boulevard.

Now excuse me while i go set the tape.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 10:00:40 PM »

Hey Peace its got some nice train footage too!

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 10:08:58 PM »

Hey Peace its got some nice train footage too!

I'm trying to recall that hour or so I saw of it before... i seem to remember up until he goes to this ranch... And I do remember a train being featured prominently in the part I did watch, like that's where they all meet, I think.

Anyways... as I'm sure you ALL are interested to know, I did find something else I could tape over instead of Sunset Boulevard or North by Northwest.

Yes! Score: 1 for Silenzio.

Then the sun blew up and consumed everybody

Score: 6 Billion..... for the sun.

Um, anyways.... after I'm done watching this tomorrow I'll throw in my two cents here. Probably.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 10:10:46 PM by Silenzio » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 07:23:21 AM »

Dir. Anthony Mann, Starring Gary Cooper, Lee J. Cobb, Julie London, John Dehner, Jack Lord, Royal Dano, Arthur O'Connell, Robert J. Wilkie.

Storyline: reformed outlaw Link Jones, is entrusted with his the town of Sawmill's money to go to Ft. Worth and hire a schoolmarm for the town. Link takes his first ever train ride and during the trip while the train is at a wood stop, where the able bodied men are asked to help load the cordwood into the locomotive's tender,  the train has a botched hold up attempted upon it by Links old gang.

They do not get into the Express Car but they do rob the passangers and take Link's carpetbag with the towns money. In the confusion of the hold up while the passangers scramble to get back on the train Link Beasley (O'Connell) and saloon chantreuse Bille Ellis (London) are stranded 100 miles from the nearest town out on the tracks.

Link leads them to an old ranch house where he grew up. There they run into his old gang lead by Dock Tobin.

OK this Anthony Mann Western has a very dark Noirish middle act that is very different for a typical Mann film.

There is something that just seems a bit off, and I haven't really put my finger on it yet, as I chew this one over.

Usually it seems he (Mann) has an on going conflict throughout his films but here it all come to a head in an abandoned ranch house where Link (Cooper) confronts his past in the form of his uncle Dock Tobin (Lee J. Cobb) and his former gang made up of some of his family members Coaley, Claude, Trout, Panch (Lord, Dehner, Dano, Wilkie). These low lifes, great character actors all seem somewhat under used, thought Lord does a great job as an over the top degenerate. It seems as though the film would have had more impact had the Julie London forced strip tease had been a bit more graphic (but I guess its the 50's what can you expect).

The Ellis character does get raped later but thats off screen too.

The whole chemistry between Cooper & London also doesn't work (Cooper looks old enough to be her grandfather) and there non consumated relationship is explained away by Cooper character's having a wife and kids, that you never see.

Arthur O'Connell part seems inserted soley for a seemingly contrived pivitol scene in the final act that is highly unlikely too.

What's missing in action (besides a lot of gun play action, lol) for most of the film is the majestic scenery that you come to expect from a Mann Western, the whole first two thirds of the film lacks this though it does have some great train footage in the beginning. The last act does have a good gunfight in a great looking ghost town "Lasso".

This is a film that could be a good candidate for a remake. It all needs to be pumped up a lot.

I would make the Link character younger and un-married (and give him another reason to have a bunch of money), have the train robbery more bloody, almost a senceless butcher of the passangers, have the Bille Ellis chacrater stripped & raped on screen by the degenerates, strengthen the Dock Tobin gangleader more (a la Indio).

My thoughts, anyway  Cool

« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 06:28:17 PM by cigar joe » Logged

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 01:01:18 PM »

It's a film I've been trying to track down on DVD for a long time. If I remember correctly the best version is the UK R2 which has a good if slightly worn print with no extras which is much better then the French version which has a terrible print (I think) forced subtitles and a few extras.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 09:59:38 AM »

My thoughts, anyway  Cool

And very good they are. I think you've underlined the film's failings exactly, and your ideas for a remake are excellent.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 06:32:40 PM »

bump on TCM tonight, any comments add here. Enjoyed it second time around and aside from my previous comments fell the same. This could use a good remake.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 08:18:13 PM »

Beaver favorably compares the new R1 release to existing DVDs: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews5/manofthewest.htm

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 04:08:19 AM »

DVDTalk: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/33214/man-of-the-west/
Glenn Erickson: http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s2591west.html

« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 04:35:24 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM