Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 10:06:00 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  opening scence question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: opening scence question  (Read 7537 times)
tonestar101
Road Apple

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2003, 09:22:38 AM »

This has probably the oldest question there is, but I cant seem to find it out there...the opening scence before the cred's a lone figure is gunned down in that amazing long shot. Is it Manco?- shot by the colonel after collecting the rewards? one final double cross?...or just something interpretive..?. It kind of reinforces the notion 'the name with no name's anonymity and a fitting end to the trilogy if it is infact so...so the colonel gets the dosh in the end...is this glaring obvious or just bollucks?

johnk
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2003, 12:04:04 PM »

Just  bollucks !

Halis
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2003, 02:28:14 AM »

The character behind the camera in the opening scene is supposed to be Manco. On the soundtrack, you hear him whistle, and then you hear a match being struck to light a cigar. (Sergio, himself, reportedly supplied the whistling.)
The guy on the horse is just some nameless bandido.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2003, 08:16:28 AM »

The character behind the camera in the opening scene is supposed to be Manco. On the soundtrack, you hear him whistle, and then you hear a match being struck to light a cigar. (Sergio, himself, reportedly supplied the whistling.)
The guy on the horse is just some nameless bandido.

If you listen carefully during that scene, "Manco" is humming to himself.  I don't know about you, but he sounded like Sergio to me.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Nothing but a rotten son of a...
Chicken Thief

But you don't look like the one who'll collect it

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2003, 05:56:36 AM »

Please, please, please people.

It's obvious that the man doing the shooting in the opening sequence is mortimer. Long shots are his trademark for heaven's sakes!

The match? To light his pipe, of course!

And why would anyone assume that he is shooting Manco?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2003, 06:27:22 AM »

Please, please, please people.

It's obvious that the man doing the shooting in the opening sequence is mortimer. Long shots are his trademark for heaven's sakes!

The match? To light his pipe, of course!

And why would anyone assume that he is shooting Manco?

First off: welcome aboard.  Cheesy

Secondly, it was supposed to be Manco.  Remember, in GBU Manco was an excellent shot with a Henry rifle (which he has later in the film), and in any case he was supposed to be Manco so that those who saw FOD would know who it was.  (I always thought that he was just a random bounty hunter, but since Sergio himself has said that he's Manco, I'll leave it at that . . .)

Saturday nights with Groggy
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2003, 07:24:24 AM »

First off: welcome aboard.  Cheesy

Thanks!  Smiley

Secondly, it was supposed to be Manco.  Remember, in GBU Manco was an excellent shot with a Henry rifle (which he has later in the film), and in any case he was supposed to be Manco so that those who saw FOD would know who it was.  (I always thought that he was just a random bounty hunter, but since Sergio himself has said that he's Manco, I'll leave it at that . . .)

This is course leads us to the age old question of whether Joe/Manco/Blondie is the same person (although I must confess I personally never understood why it wouldn't be the same character).

Nevertheless, Manco doesn't show off any long range shooting skills in FFDM (in fact, Mortimer outdoes him in the hat shooting scene) and GBU was filmed later. The humming seems to be a bit out of character for Manco as well (he's more of the dead silent type).

But, again, if the Man himself said it's Manco, I guess it's Manco...

Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 09:12:00 AM »

Maybe this is some prank and maybe Sergio is busting our balls, like the smile at the end of OUTIA (maybe the film is just an opium dream he once said).  
Personally it doesn't seem in character for Mortimer to shoot Manco.  It think it shows more the artistic freedom Leone brutally takes.

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2003, 08:43:30 AM »

Personally it doesn't seem in character for Mortimer to shoot Manco.  It think it shows more the artistic freedom Leone brutally takes.
Agreed. Personally I say there's no way in hell Mortimer would double-cross Manco. Despite being a bounty hunder, he's a man of honor. And besides, if he was interested in the money, why would he first let Manco have all of it?

Nope. Mortimer will always be one of the good guys - at least in my world.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 08:44:57 AM by Nothing but a rotten son of a... » Logged
Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2003, 03:34:41 AM »

I couldn't have put it in a better way... Smiley

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
KERMIT
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2003, 04:23:30 PM »

I couldn't have put it in a better way... Smiley
ditto.  Grin

third lanark
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2004, 08:49:54 AM »

Leone made it quite clear that at the begining it is the Man with No Name who is shooting some bandido off a horse.  No Mortimer in that sequence and why would Mortimer doublecross Manco anyway, as they leave on good terms at the end of the film.  I can only think that this thread was started as a wind up.
Also I believe it is the same character in all 3 films, not only is he identical but you see him use a rifle comfortably in TGTBATU, so he therefore could be good enough to shoot someone from a fistance in FAFDM.  Also if you notice in  AFOD he says he doesnt like to take money unless he has earned it, in FAFDM he tells the street urchin if he wants any cash he needs to earn it and in the closing gunfight of TGTBATU he tells the other two that to win the coffin of dollars they will have to earn it.  Besides why show how the man with no name gets his poncho in TGTBATU if it wasnt supposed to be the same character.

Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2004, 11:44:39 AM »

I've always assumed that it was the Man with No Name [or three names,if you like] too.The opening was,I think,there to bring back instant memories of the action on FOD.

mortimerforever
Gunslinger

when you have to shoot shoot don''''t talk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2004, 10:08:20 AM »

the bounty killer is monco presumely before the rest of the film and his whistle is sergio himself.

the bandido is a random killer one of monco's precious bounty's.

tuco ramirez number01 fan.
''''''''two kinds of spurs my friend.''''''''
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM