Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 05:36:35 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Archway 1988
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Archway 1988  (Read 4591 times)
Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2006, 02:29:03 PM »

Went to see the Arch in 1988.  This is the way it looked then.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 02:30:46 PM »

Now there's barely anything left.

Plus there's a lot of litter around it.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 07:09:37 PM »

The wood support on the right archway in this 1988 photo is now gone.  Otherwise not too much different (I was there July 2006).  Does anyone know the name of the famous peak formation that this frames?  I see it a lot now, maybe just because it's close to the highway and Goulding's, so much-photographed.

Denys
Bandido

Frank, you dirty son of a bitch

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 02:00:56 PM »

Cusser's right, not much change as I was there a little more than one year now. But what I don't understand, Christopher Frayling's Someting to do with death mentioned that the top part collapsed in the mid 90's. I would have like to see a pic of the arch still complete!

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 05:51:40 PM »

At least knowing that the arch was collapsed by 1988 makes me OK that I didn't get to see it until this year.  Now, didn't I read (or hear) somewhere that the middle part of the arch was styrofoam and not block?  I sure didn't see any evidence of the central part being block there, as, believe me, nobody would've moved that away; look at the photo: all the fallen blocks are to the sides.  I think if it had all been block that it would've survived; if vandals or exposure had knocked down the center, for sure they wouldn't have cleaned up the center area.  When you drive, there's actually a circle of dirt road around the arch, the two rough concrete tracks were for the moving camera dolly, no one would drive through the center, so no reason to clean it up.  The Monument Valley tours from Goulding's do not go here, and Goulding's lists of films made in MV don't even list it...

Denys
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 08:33:42 AM »

I even found parts of bricks and some of the wooden beams more than half a mile away and about 500 fts off the dirt road that leads to the arch. Pretty amazing.

Beebs
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 12:21:48 PM »

Can anyone find a recent picture to compare to the '88?

Denys
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 03:24:34 PM »

Beebs, see my thread here about my trip on Sept 2005.

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=2391.0

Denys
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 03:32:59 PM »

Photo taken on Sept 2005:

Also, I wanted to correct the fact that in Frayling's book, I wrongfully mentioned that the arch collapsed in the mid 90's, but it's really in the mid 80's, that was my mistake. Sorry 'bout that

« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 03:38:56 PM by Denys » Logged
Sackett
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 03:38:57 PM »

There are a couple of reasons I put this picture up now.
1.  I don't know how to do such things, still don't, and I got a friend to come over and do it along with my avatar.
2.  I had read previously on someone's post that Frayling was quoted as saying that the middle beam of the arch fell in the mid-90s.  Perhaps he meant the mid-80s.

Anyone interested in a  bell?

Denys
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 03:40:16 PM »

Sacket, you're right and I corrected that fact earlier.  Smiley

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 04:24:53 PM »

I said it before and I'll say it again, I wish I could see that arch...well...the stumps anyway.  Cry

Beebs
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 07:31:25 PM »

Photo taken on Sept 2005:

Also, I wanted to correct the fact that in Frayling's book, I wrongfully mentioned that the arch collapsed in the mid 90's, but it's really in the mid 80's, that was my mistake. Sorry 'bout that

Thanks!

Sackett
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 09:17:06 PM »

It has really hurt to see some of the modern pictures of the Arch and its disintegration/destruction.   Its a shame more was not done to protect it.
Maybe somebody, someday, will have a pic of what it looked like 10 years before I got to it.  As it was, I suppose my pics were sort of a 20 year anniversary, or about as close as I could get to one.  I had to travel a long way to get there.

Beebs
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 09:32:19 AM »

It has really hurt to see some of the modern pictures of the Arch and its disintegration/destruction.   Its a shame more was not done to protect it.
Maybe somebody, someday, will have a pic of what it looked like 10 years before I got to it.  As it was, I suppose my pics were sort of a 20 year anniversary, or about as close as I could get to one.  I had to travel a long way to get there.

Is it just the weather that's tearing it down or are people "taking a bit of history" home with them?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM