Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 22, 2024, 05:13:59 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  A Fistful of Dollars (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Fistful of Dollars or Yojimbo?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: Fistful of Dollars or Yojimbo?  ( 11879 )
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« : December 26, 2006, 09:59:43 PM »

As most may know, Fistful of Dollars is a remake of Kurosawa's Japanese masterpiece Yojimbo.

I prefer Yojimbo myself. The characters and plot are much more engaging, it's a better made movie, it has superior acting, and I prefer the samurai theme for that particular story over the cowboy theme.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

« #1 : December 27, 2006, 03:43:01 PM »

I prefer Fistful of Dollars for the fact that when Joe goes and shoots those 4 members from the Baxter just the way it was shot from the directors POV is just awesome.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #2 : December 27, 2006, 06:16:42 PM »

Me I like Westerns more so I go with AFOD too.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #3 : December 27, 2006, 10:11:44 PM »

I don't see how anybody could put Fistful over Yojimbo. The latter, clearly, is superior. Well, that's my opinion anyway.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #4 : December 28, 2006, 03:11:12 PM »

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=216.0

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

« #5 : December 28, 2006, 06:44:21 PM »

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=216.0

i think that a thread almost 4 years old should be fair game

Tuco the ugly

« #6 : December 29, 2006, 07:00:40 AM »

FOD

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #7 : January 14, 2007, 03:02:04 AM »

Yojimbo is one of my all time favorites, so I slightly prefer that. AFOD grows on me after every viewing so that could change one day. The main reason why I find 'Yojimbo' to be superior is the relationship between Mifune and the old man.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
CISCO

« #8 : January 14, 2007, 04:36:17 PM »

fod

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #9 : February 06, 2007, 11:21:48 AM »

As much as I love Sergio Leone's films, I'll have to say Yojimbo. It's a masterpiece. A Fistfull of Dollars is a great western, and a solid remake.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
CISCO

« #10 : February 07, 2007, 05:30:49 AM »

As much as I love Sergio Leone's films, I'll have to say Yojimbo. It's a masterpiece. A Fistfull of Dollars is a great western, and a solid remake.
mifune overplayed the role where clint kept that coolness. leone's choosing of eastwood was right on the money. nobody's faster or as cool as a cucumber. a wild card that payed off in spades.  ;)  clint was totaly out going and friendly in the "rawhide" t.v. series :). leone coached clint >:( to perfection even though the two couldn't speak each others's language.
leone knew what he wanted from TMWNN and clint eastwood has a natural talent  { at that time } to give leone more than sergio much more wanted in triplicate. all three pictures. GB&U is an amalagation w/
leone AND all the crew pulling all the stops   :-X

« : February 07, 2007, 07:44:19 PM cisco »
New Brandon
Chicken Thief

« #11 : February 16, 2007, 03:03:07 PM »

I would say that's my opinion, basically. I couldn't watch Yojimbo as many times, but I will acknowledge it as the better film.

bdsproductions
Road Apple

« #12 : May 16, 2007, 02:33:08 AM »

A Fistful of Dollars.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #13 : June 07, 2007, 11:31:44 AM »

I saw Yojimbo today... and I cannot tell. In Yojimbo I liked what I like on Kurosawa, while in FOD I like what I like on Leone... I think in Yojimbo the characters usually got more space - with the exception of Unosuke, I felt he entered the plot quite late and didn't get enough time to be the main enemy; unlike Ramon, who's in my opinion a very strong point of FOD. Also I noticed, that in FOD we learn about the Rojo brothers as whole, while in Yojimbo we learn about the existence of three brothers gradually, which somehow didn't work so well for me. It made me quite confused for a while.

Though it's generally the same story, it develops in very different way in each of the films. In FOD it has a better cadence, while in Yojimbo it has a better depth, I think. We learn more about the reasons why the town is what it is.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #14 : June 09, 2007, 05:18:22 AM »

I think they both are masterpieces.

- In Yojimbo, when the hero is leaving the city in a coffin, one of the bandits helps the old man...  ;D ;D ;D
- In Yojimbo there isn't an armor... :(
- Ramón is much, much better and more sexy than the japanese bandit with a gun. O0
- Well, Mifune is greater actor than Clint, but the charakter doesn't need so much acting...he's just cool.
- Yojimbo is much satiric, bandtis are ridicolous figures, FOD is filled with good lines, but the bandits are not caricatured...
- In Yojimbo we haven't the cemetery scene with the dead soldiers.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines