Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 04:36:06 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The theme Song Lyrics?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The theme Song Lyrics?  (Read 22790 times)
GunFlavored
Road Apple

More flavors available upon request....

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2003, 07:48:51 PM »

There is some chanting of some sort during the GBU theme song at about 48 seconds when the guitar strums in. Are these sensible words in a ny language, and what are they? I have heard them to be "Don't Talk to Gringo" , but it is very unlikely.

Nothing but a rotten son of a...
Chicken Thief

But you don't look like the one who'll collect it

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2003, 01:53:41 PM »

There is some chanting of some sort during the GBU theme song at about 48 seconds when the guitar strums in. Are these sensible words in a ny language, and what are they? I have heard them to be "Don't Talk to Gringo" , but it is very unlikely.
Morricone (who hardly speaks a word of English BTW) was very much into making music out of non musical sounds at the time so I think he was just looking for getting the human voice represented in the theme. IMO those are just nonsense words.

That being said, the chanting in the FOD theme sounds an awful lot like "We can fight". Not that that makes much sense either.

KERMIT
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 01:37:31 AM »

chanting on GB&U theme sounds like
young, lone tough gringo

gigemags
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2003, 06:58:04 PM »

Hey, just happened upon this site while surfing the web and must say that this is fantastic.  Couldnt help but notice this post and say that maybe Ive always oversimplified the lyrics but could swear that all thats being said is go go go manco.. any thoughts?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2003, 12:30:16 PM »

That being said, the chanting in the FOD theme sounds an awful lot like "We can fight". Not that that makes much sense either.

Maybe it's just me, but it sounds more like they're saying "We defy!"  Undecided

Saturday nights with Groggy
KERMIT
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2003, 02:17:21 PM »

Morricone (who hardly speaks a word of English BTW) was very much into making music out of non musical sounds at the time so I think he was just looking for getting the human voice represented in the theme. IMO those are just nonsense words.

if sombody told me to lay money down i would agree w/ NOTHING BUT A ROTTEN SOB.
ie. "we can fight" dunno why ? sounds macho.
BTY the chanting.  olny morricone. sorry i can't add something more substantial.  Undecided  

visitor
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2003, 02:46:42 PM »

TITOLI from Fistful Of Dollars was based on Morricone's arrangement of a Woody Guthrie song called PASTURES OF PLENTY.

In Morricone's version, the Alessandroni chorus chants "with the wind with the wind" as a reply to the vocalist.  This was retained for portions of the score... it can clearly be heard during some of the riding sequences in the film.

For TITOLI though, the chanting was changed.

Morricone has said it is just vocal chanting, but he has also denied the involvment of many of the contributors to his music, ie:Bruno Nicolai, Alessandro Alessandroni.
So whether Alessandroni his chorus specific words to use, only he can answer.

KERMIT
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2003, 03:55:53 PM »

darn, wish i knew for sure. i've always wondered.   Undecided
.....honestly, i guess in this life there are some things i want to know, but am satisfied to leave it a mystery to perserve the initial feeling i experienced the first time i heard this chanting.  such originality.

visitor,  thx  for letting  us know this started from a woodie guthrie vibe.  most kind of you.   Wink

« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 08:02:25 PM by KERMIT » Logged
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2003, 04:40:58 PM »

I just listened to a download of Pasture of Plenty by Woody Guthrie at CDNow.com and it doesn't sound to me like FOD Titoli at all.   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000G1IF/qid=1067557193/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-7395076-8040821?v=glance&s=music  

Cusser
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2003, 04:41:41 PM »

Hey, I just got a Woody !!!

Cusser
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2003, 04:42:57 PM »

Where's Maria when I need her ?  I should've done more than just slap her around and get Carson's name.

KERMIT
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2003, 07:52:20 PM »

trying to peice this together i somehow got a bloody headache. the kind that makes that huge vein on the center of my forehead pop out.  

TITOLI was quote "based" on woodie's  pastures of plenty.
that word," based " could mean a lot of different circumstances & derivatives. inspirations, ect.

two things i've do know: alessandro alessandroni
was the guitarist who did that incredible whistling
of which my favorite piece INSEGUMTO when tuco is persuing blondie  for leaveing him stranded in the desert.....the first time. not to mention his work w/ FOD, FAFDM
themes.   Kiss <<<whisteling icon

the other thing i do know is were all here together.
i think my first post mentioned how thankful i am for the
leone site and a chance to express our opinions, be they come what may. i have learned so much in such a short time....and thats enough of that stuff.  

cusser, you mean maria, the fresh young whore just up from the territories? Roll Eyes  i always thougt you always saw the job through.   Grin

« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 07:57:17 AM by KERMIT » Logged
Cusser
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2003, 11:43:42 PM »

Kermit, I'm also crazy about the Morricone music, I've used it in two training videos I've made at work -"Father Ramirez" used in one, and a mystical version of Jill's theme in a second, both from imported CD soundtracks (some of the best finds since 2000); Ennio got credited in both.  My next goal, after DVD of Once/West comes out, will be a definitive re-structuring of the 23 tracks on the import CD to get them into "movie sequence".  I should be able to do that now that I've upgraded my computer to a modern one with CD & DVD-write drives.  At least import GBU with 21 tracks was in order, with exception of the end of one track which wasn't in the film; yeah, I know that the "Trio" was arificially extended on that CD, but it's still better than on the 11-track traditional soundtrack.  By the way, truth be told, with Maria it wasn't what the soldiers did that bothered me, it was knowing she had done half-soldier !  But at least Maria didn't do "you filthy rats" Cagney style.

KERMIT
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2003, 12:16:46 AM »

AAHHHWWW GOWUD NOOOO !!  Shocked  
....i forgot all about half-soldier, angel eye's info man.
exactly cusser, HS would't have known about "maria" if he hadn't ....let's say....been there ?  Tongue

"you filthy rats" takes on a whole (no pun intended) new meaning ! lol  Grin

the mind boggles.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 12:39:45 AM by KERMIT » Logged
visitor
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2003, 03:53:41 AM »

allow me to clarify

TITOLI from Fistful was not  based on woody guthrie's Patures of Plenty, but on Morricone's ARRANGEMENT of Pastures of Plenty for Peter Tevis(I believe)

this ARRANGEMENT sounds nothing like the original version. it sounds completely like Fistful's title music with a vocal track added.

in fact, there is a whistling version of this ARRANGEMENT that has a different third section than TITOLI. It is this version that (according to legend) Leone heard and requested Ennio Morricone to use for FISTFUL' s theme, as he didn't like any of the other offerings Morricone had come up with to that point.

as and aside, Morricone has claimed that Allessandroni did NOT play the guitar for FISTFUL's title track

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM