Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 03:14:54 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The theme Song Lyrics?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The theme Song Lyrics?  (Read 23212 times)
Nothing but a rotten son of a...
Chicken Thief

But you don't look like the one who'll collect it

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2003, 06:45:15 AM »

http://www.furious.com/perfect/morricone2.html

On the above page it's simply stated that the chanting in the FOD theme is "We can fight". I don't know whether the source is reliable though...

Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2003, 06:49:32 AM »

Hey, just happened upon this site while surfing the web and must say that this is fantastic.  Couldnt help but notice this post and say that maybe Ive always oversimplified the lyrics but could swear that all thats being said is go go go manco.. any thoughts?

You know, it does sound like "go, go, go, Manco".

That's an interesting thought - although Blondie hasn't technically become Manco at the time when GBU is enacted (Manco is spanish for "one-handed" and the gentleman doesn't get that attribute until his hand is crushed in FOD - to which GBU is generally believed to be a prequel). But, maybe Morricone didn't know (or cared) about that...

No one knows... and hey - that's the beauty of it Grin

« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 08:12:21 AM by Nothing but a rotten son of a... » Logged
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2003, 07:54:12 AM »

My feeble mind might be playing tricks on me, but didn't I read 20 years ago that the theme from FOD (or close fascimile) had been considered for U.S. TV western "Have Gun Will Travel" ?  

KERMIT
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2003, 09:55:12 AM »

That's an interesting thought - although Blondie hasn't technically become Manco at the time when GBU is enacted (Manco is spanish for "one-handed" and the gentleman doesn't get that attribute until his hand is crushed in FOD - to which GBU is generally believed to be a prequel). But, maybe Morricone didn't know (or cared) about that...

thats wha'd i say.  it's the mystery that enchants NBARSOB.  Grin

« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 09:55:49 AM by KERMIT » Logged
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2003, 01:48:19 PM »

http://www.furious.com/perfect/morricone2.html

On the above page it's simply stated that the chanting in the FOD theme is "We can fight". I don't know whether the source is reliable though...

Thats from Perfect Sound Forever. very good site. im always hanging around their.

I went out and  got a copy of  'Guns For San Sabastian' after a good write up in the MORRICONE REDUX article by Alan Bishop.
http://www.furious.com/perfect/morricone.html

The sites kinda like a Lester Bangs influenced community of music writing.

Small World(Wide Web)  Wink

P.S oh it was always   W E  C A N   F I G H T   too my ears.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 01:57:42 PM by The Smoker » Logged

KERMIT
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2003, 01:18:37 AM »

we can fight  Wink

Walter
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2003, 05:42:02 PM »

we can fight  Wink

I'm with you; "we can fight"

Dying ain't much of a living, boy
KERMIT
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2003, 07:51:36 AM »

affirmative walter, 10/4.   WCF   Wink

KERMIT
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2003, 08:12:58 AM »

GO-GO MANACO ? RIGHT ? in the words of visitor "correct me if i'm wrong".  "monaco" dosn't come along untill FAFDM.  we're talkin FOD theme before "joe" became "manaco".   GO-GO JOE !?!
for crisakes, sometimes i have wished old clint would have stuck to just one name.... man w/ no name ? he's got THREE of em.   Tongue

« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 08:15:53 AM by KERMIT » Logged
KERMIT
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2003, 08:28:33 AM »

BTW cusser, training films ? seriously, what sort of training films Huh  ie. if you don't mind my asking
..........not VD scare films are they ? Shocked

....apologies for cracking wise about your job cuss. it's just that half-soldier deal.
hard for me to recover from that one...... Tongue
...if you know what i mean.......and i think you do.  Wink

if i don't hear from you i'll assume you've moved on which isn't a bad idea @ this point.  essentially cusser, being a professional toe cracking musician, i'd be greatful if you could share just a smidgin of the process of inserting morricone's music into film.
how did you become inspired ?

« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 08:52:29 AM by KERMIT » Logged
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2003, 10:43:11 AM »

OK Kermit, i'll try to provide some answers.  I first saw GBU at 15 in theater in June 1968, had never heard of a Spaghetti Western, couldn't figure out why the cast was primarily Italian.  We went because my brother could drive, we liked westerns, and we had heard the Montenegro version on the radio.  I couldn't wait to grow a beard so I could have mustache and stubble like Angel eyes and Tuco.  GBU soundtrack was second record I ever bought (first was Return of the Seven by E. Bernstein, because Magnificent Seven didn't get released  until 40 years later).  I was pissed because so much music was missing.  Anyway, later saw all the Spaghettis in theaters, and got their records, taped them to cassette for playing in my car on early cassette deck.  I can't play any instruments (do have a harmonica on a leather tether, of course) but have always had a great ear for movie soundtrack music.  I had to special order a few such as Once/West (was wrongly listed in "pop single" section and Adventures of Robin Hood, and bought Big Gundown and Taras Bulba used.  I'm the head of Analytical Chemistry for large U.S. consumer products company, and we began making training videos about 1.5 years ago, on topics such as use of pipets and volumetric flasks.  We use Pinnacle Studio 8 which allows for three tracks of audio (live and two additional, for either voiceovers or music).  Incidentally, the software, 1394 board, cable, and 2 digital 8 mm tapes was $99, great deal.  Using a digital camcorder and downloading to computer, editing, then downloading back to DVD or digital video tape, there is no loss of quality since it's digital.  Anyway, downloaded free software to convert CD music to .wav files required by Studio 8, used "Father Ramirez" in the introduction and credits (yes, included Morricone).  For a fun video that explained why archiving training on video was important, a gal dressed up in a fairy costume to "spark" ideas into peoples' heads, and I was playing Once/West in my truck while driving my daughter somewhere (import soundtrack, 23 tracks) when a mystical arrangement of Jill's theme played which turned out to be perfect for that spot.  Yes, release of import CDs of GBU and Once/West fulfilled long wish for me, now waiting for release of Once/West DVD and a chance to watch Once/America DVD at Thanksgiving time.  Unfortunately, even the files as MPEGs are too big to upload as they run maybe 200 MB, maybe I could try a truncated version if I knew how to upload.  I also liked James Bond soundtracks, original Time Machine, Jaws, Indiana Jones, Superman, mostly on records.

KERMIT
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2003, 11:53:02 AM »

HERE'S THE WAY IT GOES.... if i'm watching a film that i have to learn the content ? please put morricone on it and i WILL learn what i'm am supposed to.  great idea.
no by george, magnifico brainstorm.

excuse please, i have to go back to your post to digest this.  manny thx  Wink

cusser you gotta know when you were out in your truck and had that mystical experience  concerning the arrangement of "jill's theme" and you make up your mind to incorperarate this little gem to  make sparks,  it just goes to show the power of morricone's music.
i've had simular moments listening to morricone.  being in a moving car out of the house w/ morricone's score's playing a surreal groove.  Cool
sometimes it works. in your case not olny are you confident that the training film is getting through, but your entertaining these folks at the same time.  thats the way learning should be.  Wink

oh yeah. thx for relaying the experience about your first encounter w/ GB&U you had w/ your brother.  Smiley

imagine your working w/ leone on a film and he says this won't do cusser, go back and write something that will better inspire me, which i'm given to understand, happened a lot between he and ennio.  putting myself in morricone's place, what methods would i have used to come up w/ the right formula leone wants ?

now about this girl in the fairy costume.............. Grin

« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 12:23:40 PM by KERMIT » Logged
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2003, 03:01:46 PM »

Maybe it was supposed to be "We can fight", but, probably due to the accents of the singers, it still sounds like "We defy!" to me.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2003, 01:42:28 AM »

GO-GO MANACO ? RIGHT ? in the words of visitor "correct me if i'm wrong".  "monaco" dosn't come along untill FAFDM.  we're talkin FOD theme before "joe" became "manaco".   GO-GO JOE !?!
for crisakes, sometimes i have wished old clint would have stuck to just one name.... man w/ no name ? he's got THREE of em.   Tongue

Ah, slight misunderstanding. "Go, go, go Manco" is what the chanting sounds like in the GBU theme.

But true, the guy isn't called "Manco" until FFDM - but he "becomes" Manco in FOD in the sense that his hand is crushed in that movie.

The dude doesn't have a name, only nicknames. "Joe" is used by the undertaker in the way you would use "buddy", "chum" or - indeed - "dude". At no point in time does No Name introduce himself as "Joe".

"Manco" (Spanish for "one-handed") from FFDM again is just a nickname alluding to the damaged hand which the guy suffered in FOD.

"Blondie" is Tuco's nickname for the guy, alluding to to his light complextion (relative to Tuco's that is).

« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 01:44:55 AM by Nothing but a rotten son of a... » Logged
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2003, 04:44:35 AM »

In "Spaghetti Westerns" Frayling says that the chanting in FOD is "Quick, get back" . . .  Undecided

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM