Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 09:47:07 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  GRINDHOUSE CLASSICS & LEGENDARY SHOCKERS
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GRINDHOUSE CLASSICS & LEGENDARY SHOCKERS  (Read 13679 times)
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2007, 01:03:47 PM »

GRINDHOUSE CLASSICS & LEGENDARY SHOCKERS

Here is a COMING SOON list of trash favorites to be dissected SOON ON THIS SCREEN...

THE ANTICHRIST                                   EVILSPEAK                           TRUCK TURNER
AFRICA-BLOOD AND GUTS                            EATEN ALIVE (1976)                  THE BIG BIRD CAGE
GOODBYE UNCLE TOM                                FREAKS                              DEATH RACE 2000
ILSA, SHE-WOLF OF THE SS                         THE FREAKMAKER                      VAMPYRES
ILSA, HAREM KEEPER OF THE OIL SHIEKS             FLAVIA THE HERETIC                  DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS
ILSA, TIGRESS OF SIBERIA                         FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN              DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE
MAD DOCTOR OF BLOOD ISLAND                       THE FLESH EATERS                    BLOOD FEAST
BEAST OF BLOOD                                   I DRINK YOUR BLOOD                  Q-THE WINGED SERPENT
BLACULA                                          HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP             THE NEW YORK RIPPER
SCREAM BLACULA, SCREAM                           GALAXY OF TERROR                    THE LADY TERMINATOR
MANDINGO                                         I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE                JUNGLE HOLOCAUST
DRUM                                             INSEMINOID                          SHE (1983)
FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE                              ISLAND OF DEATH                     HUNDRA
LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT                           WHO COULD KILL A CHILD?             WALKING TALL TRILOGY
THE HILLS HAVE EYES                              MOTHER'S DAY                        TEN TO MIDNIGHT
THE BEING                                        MONDO CANE                          COFFY
MAKE THEM DIE SLOWLY                             MARK OF THE DEVIL                   FOXY BROWN
MANIAC                                           PIECES                              THE KLANSMEN
THE CANDY SNATCHERS                              SPIDER BABY                         DEATHSTALKER
CYCLONE                                          XTRO                                BIG BAD MAMA
RACE WITH THE DEVIL                              ZOLTAN, HOUND OF DRACULA            INTRUDER (1961)
THE DEVILS RAIN                                  THE LOSERS                          THE GREAT TEXAS DYNAMITE CHASE

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 01:11:37 AM »

"I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE"

Trying to get rid of this one. I want it out of my house.

I once ran over the dvd several times with my car and then threw the remaining peices into a lake but it showed up intact upon my dvd shelf once again.

Anybody want it?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 05:01:07 AM »

I've see in theaters:

Blacula
Last House on the Left
The Devils Rain
Freaks
Flesh for Frankestien
Blood For Dracual
Mondo Cane
Foxy Brown

also and what about John Waters

Pink Flamingos
Desperate Living

or are these more cult films?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 06:21:27 AM »

Well, I hope significant pictures (expecially of Dyanne Thorne) will go along with reviews. Newbies might not catch the relevance of Miss Thorne's contribution to cinema history...

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 11:28:51 AM »

Due to my limited computer skills I do not know how to post pictures but would love to nonetheless.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 11:43:58 AM »

Well, I hope significant pictures (expecially of Dyanne Thorne) will go along with reviews. Newbies might not catch the relevance of Miss Thorne's contribution to cinema history...

It's a shame she didn't become a "bigger" star aside from the three ILSA's, one unofficial ILSA, several soft core sex comedies like WHAM BAM THANK YOU MR. SPACE MAN and tv appearances like the original STAR TREK she hasn't done much. I believe she still does shows in Vegas. She met her husband on the set of ILSA, HAREM KEEPER OF THE OIL SHIEKS. Lucky guy!

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 12:02:36 PM »

I've see in theaters:

Blacula
Last House on the Left
The Devils Rain
Freaks
Flesh for Frankestien
Blood For Dracual
Mondo Cane
Foxy Brown

also and what about John Waters

Pink Flamingos
Desperate Living

or are these more cult films?

John Waters films are generally classified as cult films and PINK FLAMINGOS....I don't even know if I could discuss that one other than the synopsis. What with the rather distasteful subject matter. But then again, some of the films on the list are treading thin ice as it is. Never saw DESPERATE LIVING.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 01:12:17 PM »

Due to my limited computer skills I do not know how to post pictures

OK, let me know when you do.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 03:44:18 PM »

John Waters films are generally classified as cult films and PINK FLAMINGOS....I don't even know if I could discuss that one other than the synopsis. What with the rather distasteful subject matter.

I don't know what all the hallabaloo was about the ******  eating scene. The most disgusting thing was the chicken sex and the singing ass hole.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 09:32:34 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 04:21:24 PM »

You'd think Mondo Cane would be in the cult films too.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 12:47:02 PM »

You'd think Mondo Cane would be in the cult films too.

MONDO CANE is listed above.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 01:10:22 PM »

COMING TOMORROW A DOUBLE FEATURE OF TWO INFLUENTIAL AND AHEAD OF THERE TIME B/W BLOOD HORRORS!

ONE A DARKLY HUMOROUS EXCURSION INTO DEPRAVITY AND MADNESS STARRING LON CHANEY JR.!

THE OTHER A GORY HORROR-SCI FI ISLAND TERROR TALE WITH ALL THE MAKINGS OF AN EXPLOITATION CLASSIC!

SPIDER BABY

THE FLESH EATERS

« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 01:11:38 PM by Arizona Colt » Logged

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 11:04:29 AM »

SPIDER BABY

"SEDUCTIVE INNOCENCE OF LOLITA! SAVAGE HUNGER OF A BLACK WIDOW! A TASTE FOR BLOOD!" (Promotional tagline)

Lon Chaney Jr. is the chauffeur and long time caretaker for the Merrye family. A family that suffers from the Merrye Syndrome. Defined as "a progressive deterioration of the mental faculties. The product of inbreeding, a regression and or rotting of the brain that eventually causes physical deformities and homicidal and cannibalistic behavior. Some lawyers and distant cousins show up to settle the matters of the estate since the owners have long since past away. Of course the relatives are only interested in the monetary aspects and eventually meet the demented siblings watched over by the nervous Bruno (Lon Chaney Jr.) who isn't keen on visitors staying too long at the Merrye house.

The kooky family, one that would give the Addams Family goosebumps, consists of Virginia who enjoys playing "spider" with her unsuspecting victims. Elizabeth, the equally deranged sister who hates everybody. Ralph, a drooling, mental midget who cannot speak and Uncle Ned and Aunt Martha, who reside in the basement, and for good reason. They go unseen until the finale. Family values takes on a whole new meaning when the Merrye family household is threatened by the "normal" outsiders.

Once the cast is dwindled down the film comes to a fiery conclusion when Bruno, now half insane himself from his failed efforts to "protect" the psychotic Merrye siblings by keeping the arrogant and uncaring visitors alive, blows the house up and everyone in it. Two people survive with one being one of the distant cousins who, in a last minute twist, threatens to keep the Merrye Syndrome going for another generation.

Shot in 1964 by famous cult director Jack Hill in just 12 days with the moniker CANNIBAL ORGY, OR THE MADDEST STORY EVER TOLD. The film ultimately became locked up in court room politics by its distributor for 3 years and emerged, finally, in 1967 with the new title SPIDER BABY and did nothing. In 1968 it was re-issued with little success as THE LIVER EATERS and finally sank into obscurity and for years was thought to be a lost film.

Seeing the film today it's not surprising that it didn't do well as there had never been anything like it at the time. The popular TV show THE ADDAMS FAMILY would appear to be inspired by this movie but that show comes no where close to the blackly comical approach of the subject matter. It is also apparent that this film must have been seen by Tobe Hooper as there are numerous similarities to THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE one being the outrageous dinner sequence and the nature of the demented family members in SPIDER BABY. The film is a favorite of Rob Zombie and obviously influenced his awful directorial debut HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES.

There are many memorable scenes in SPIDER BABY. The aforementioned dinner scene which includes a rib tickling nod to the original WOLF MAN (1941) that featured Lon as the werewolf. The sight of Virginia playing "spider" with former vaudeville, as well as one of the first black actors in Hollywood, Mantan Moreland. The veritable house of horrors with all manner of creepy frights that inhabit the Merrye home, and the entertaining opening credits sequence which features a horror themed song belted out by Lon Chaney Jr. himself.

Chaney at this time was a heavy alcoholic but according to Hill, stayed on the wagon for the duration of the shoot. Jill Banner who plays Virginia later co-starred in THE PRESIDENT'S ANALYST. Beverly Washburn was the little girl in Disney's OLD YELLER. Sid Haig's career needs no intro to exploitation fans. a favorite of Hill's and Eddie Romero, the Algerian actor appeared in numerous US and Filipino productions. Some of his other credits are- COFFY (1973), FOXY BROWN (1974), THE BIG BIRD CAGE (1972), GALAXY OF TERROR (1981), JACKIE BROWN (1997), HOUSE OF A 1000 CORPSES and its sequel THE DEVILS REJECTS.

Jack Hill would go on to a successful career in exploitation with such films as the classic Pam Grier vehicles COFFY and FOXY BROWN. He kick started the Women in Prison genre with 1971's THE BIG DOLL HOUSE and the even better THE BIG BIRD CAGE (1972) He directed three Mexican horror pictures that ended up being the final films of Boris Karloff. SWITCHBLADE SISTERS (1975) and also was an uncredited co-director on the Roger Corman produced films THE WASP WOMAN (1960) and THE TERROR (1963) which also had Jack Nicholson as an uncredited co-director and Monte Hellman who did get credit. Hill never made it as a big time Hollywood director but it was probably just as well. An extremely talented filmmaker.

THE FLESH EATERS

"BEHIND THIS MEMBRANE...YOU WILL BE DRIVEN TO A POINT...MIDWAY BETWEEN LIFE AND DEATH!" "THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO WILL NOT BE STERILIZED WITH FEAR ARE THOSE AMONG  YOU WHO ARE ALREADY DEAD!" (Promotional tagline)

A charter pilot is hired to fly a heavy on the sauce movie actress and her personal assistant to Provincetown. Problems with the plane and a storm at sea force them to land on a supposedly uninhabited island. They find a German scientist who is conducting secret experiments and who also harbors a dark past. Some skeletal remains found on the beach and the professor's persistence on the group leaving the island leads Grant Murdock, the pilot (Byron Sanders) to suspect something terrible is going on on the island. Meanwhile the professor makes lustful advances on the alcoholic actress and when she spurns his intentions he pushes there plane out into the sea stranding them there blaming the incident on the obnoxious film star in her drunken stupor.

More skeletons are found and the professor, not giving too much away states that the bones are probably the result of microscopic parasites in the water around the island that eat the flesh off of the bones. Turns out the professor is a former Nazi doctor who created the flesh eating parasites for use in the war. In leading the other members of the group to think he has killed a sample of the creatures with high electric shock, the evil professor only stuns them enabling him to safely contain the monsters for selling to the highest bidder in other countries.

However, electrocuting them causes the flesh eaters to grow to gigantic proportions. After killing one of the ever growing monsters, the professor reminds Grant that the sea is forming an even bigger creation leading to a wild and gory finale.

Initially began in 1960 with a budget of $60,000 the film was delayed because of a hurricane that destroyed the sets and equipment. After a year of problems the film was completed after the budget increased to $105,000. During that time producer Terry Curtis won $72,000 on a tv game show which contributed to the production budget. Although his name is listed as director, Jack Curtis also performed most of the DP duties and wrote the script both uncredited.

The FLESH EATERS holds the distinction of being an early gore film although full on gore in American cinema didn't come until Herschell Gordon Lewis's 1964 film BLOOD FEAST. The few scenes of gory mayhem is quite astonishing for a sci-fi/horror film made in the early 60s. And that's not counting the deleted scenes showing Nazi doctors, in a flashback, putting naked women into pools of the flesh eating parasites.

Martin Kosleck who played the villainous Nazi scientist made a career out of playing one in numerous TV shows such as BATMAN, HOGAN'S HEROES, THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E., SANFORD & SON, THE WILD, WILD, WEST and NIGHT GALLERY among many others.

The gorgeous Barbara Wilkin got many TV gigs herself many of them westerns such as BONANZA and THE BIG VALLEY.

Star Byron Sanders also did numerous TV programs but not nearly the volume of his co-stars and Rita Morley, to my knowledge did nothing memorable afterwards.

There are a handful of jolting scenes on display here particularly the opening which would be aped for years to come where a scantily clad young lady is pushed into the ocean by her boyfriend and the Flesh Eaters devour her as her body disappears beneath the wave as a bloody hand reaches out.

The effects for the monsters in there microscopic form were achieved by scratching pin holes on the film with needles. The larger versions resemble creatures similar to Roger Cormans 1957 feature ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS.

The scene where the villain gives a drink thats laced with the creatures to an unsuspecting victim and the resulting effect is a bit shocking.

Upon its initial release THE FLESH EATERS was a successful low budget horror picture that delivered on all fronts- decent acting, a good script, monsters, a bit of nudity, gore and quite a large sleaze quotient for an early 60s programmer. Re-released in 1968 to success again. A cult favorite recently remastered for the MONSTERS HD cable network.

All in all both films deliver the exploitation goods and are recommended for anyone who wants to relive the bygone drive-in days or the 42nd Street experience as I'm sure both of these played at some point or another.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 04:08:26 PM »

MONDO CANE is listed above.

I ment you had it as GRINDHOUSE CLASSICS & LEGENDARY SHOCKERS rather than CULT Film.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 07:43:04 PM »

I see, many of the films listed above are cult films but all are 42nd Street or drive-in favorites and are remembered for one reason or another. Plus, I limited them, for the moment, to ones that are in my collection. MONDO CANE, although tame compared to others, kick started the popular Mondo genre that lasted into the early 80s where it was supplanted by the FACES OF DEATH style "shockumentaries" which featured much fake footage mixed among real footage.

For this topic I wanted to include trailers or snap shots of said films in the hopes of kindling even a minor interest in cinema of a bygone era but my knowledge of computers is limited at the moment.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM