Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 12:26:05 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  True Grit (1969)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: True Grit (1969)  (Read 19367 times)
Man with no dame
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »

I love Paris in the morning and in the evening. And at night. If she's sober.
You just had to pick the worst picture on that site, didn't you Titoli? You've obviously never lived in Florida. I can introduce you to some 30 year old women with really botched plastic surgery. Shocked

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2007, 04:39:36 PM »

Wow.  Hadn't seen her or pic of her recently.  Always remember them as a flickering shadow image usually from another time.   Can be as alarming as looking into the mirror.....  Shocked

I love Paris in the morning and in the evening. And at night. If she's sober.

Should be sober in lockdown....even if it turns out to be some kind of condo village with locks.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2007, 05:13:42 PM »

You just had to pick the worst picture on that site, didn't you Titoli?

Just picked the first that came up. I was in love with this woman when she was young. Though she was no beauty. I think she holds herself up well, but to say she is (or ever was ) a match for Paris is beyond my comprehension.

I can introduce you to some 30 year old women with really botched plastic surgery.

I could accept your invitation. I'm past botched everything.

Man with no dame
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2007, 05:48:17 PM »

. Though she was no beauty. I think she holds herself up well, but to say she is (or ever was ) a match for Paris is beyond my comprehension.

I tend, now, to judge women and everyone else from the inside out. Paris Hilton and her contemporaries, comport themselves with little or no class. I'll take quiet beauty anyday over that.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2007, 06:05:08 PM »

I tend, now, to judge women and everyone else from the inside out. Paris Hilton and her contemporaries, comport themselves with little or no class. I'll take quiet beauty anyday over that.

Amen brother!

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007, 10:52:07 PM »

I agree that True Grit is a pretty great film. I grew up in a house where John Wayne is like god as my father is a huge fan. I grew up watching all of John Wayne's films and True Grit played here regularly. I love all the performances including Kim Darby's which is underrated. Obviously, I hate it when people say that John Wayne cannot act as you can see here that clearly isn't true. Also, look at his performances in The Searchers and preticularly Red River which in my opinion was one of the most underrated and over-looked performances of his career. I think that film is a masterpiece and also should get the recognition it deserves. Anyway, in my opinon True Grit is a western classic, and Wayne, Darby, and Duval were fantastic. A western that should not be missed.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Man with no dame
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2007, 07:27:52 AM »

Obviously, I hate it when people say that John Wayne cannot act as you can see here that clearly isn't true..
  I feel as strongly about Wayne as you do about Stallone, Tucumcari. I have met many who dislike Wayne, but usually have never seen anything he was in, or else some butchered print on cable. If you go on other film chat lines and bring up the topic of John Wayne, you'll be able to feel the blank stares thru your keyboard. Apparently, film schools nowdays dismiss him as merely a pop personality. I've never heard Scorsese champion preservation of his films. Too bad, for Wayne, along with the likes of William S. Hart, Roy Rogers, Tom Mix etal., are the founders of the American Western and a source of inspiration to filmmakers as diverse as Fritz Lang and Jean Luc Goddard. All you have to do is watch a few of Wayne's movies to realize how good an actor he was. Even in his later years, he was consistently the top male box-office draw in the US, rivaled only by Eastwood. Pretty bold achievement for an old one-eyed fat man. Anybody on this site should immerse themselves in at least 5(or more) of his films before commenting on his acting skills. They will then see how important he is, especially, to this site.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2007, 09:12:50 PM »

I feel as strongly about Wayne as you do about Stallone, Tucumcari. I have met many who dislike Wayne, but usually have never seen anything he was in, or else some butchered print on cable. If you go on other film chat lines and bring up the topic of John Wayne, you'll be able to feel the blank stares thru your keyboard. Apparently, film schools nowdays dismiss him as merely a pop personality. I've never heard Scorsese champion preservation of his films. Too bad, for Wayne, along with the likes of William S. Hart, Roy Rogers, Tom Mix etal., are the founders of the American Western and a source of inspiration to filmmakers as diverse as Fritz Lang and Jean Luc Goddard. All you have to do is watch a few of Wayne's movies to realize how good an actor he was. Even in his later years, he was consistently the top male box-office draw in the US, rivaled only by Eastwood. Pretty bold achievement for an old one-eyed fat man. Anybody on this site should immerse themselves in at least 5(or more) of his films before commenting on his acting skills. They will then see how important he is, especially, to this site.

We definitely agree on this subject MWND! I feel just as strong about John Wayne as you do. I enjoyed reading what you wrote and am happy to know now that you're a fan of "The Duke". It's funny when you come across as many people as you do who do not feel he could act, yet he's still on many most popular actor's survey's still today. He's as popular as ever.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2007, 11:03:08 PM »

I've never liked the Duke's war films, or any of the modern dress films he made, but his Westerns are classics, and his performances are especially good in Red River, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, The Searchers (bad film, great performance), and True Grit. People who don't like Wayne don't like Westerns, and people who don't like Westerns are a waste of space.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Man with no dame
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2007, 04:19:25 AM »

I've never liked the Duke's war films, or any of the modern dress films he made,
   A long time ago, I was working into the wee hours, and had the tube on for company, a John Wayne war movie came on. I hadn't, at that time, had much exposure to Wayne's war flicks, other than Sands of Iwo Jima. So I thought I'd give it a try. Four hours later, the sun was coming up, and I was totally blown away with what I had just watched. The movie was They Were Expendable and I do recommend you see this. Perhaps one of the most brutal and honest stories about PT boat warfare, and I'd stack this up against Private Ryan any day. Wayne was brilliant. The Green Berets, a victim of bad timing as far as the time of it's release, is another of his better war films. I will give it to you on this one, McQ was not a favorite of mine. They made this during the inner city detective film boom of the early 70's, and Wayne looked like a fish out of water. Never liked Hatari either, with him chasing rhinos. Of course, you have to see Ghengis Khan at least once, a constant source of embarassment to Wayne(his Paint Your Wagon). "More rice, Pilgrim?" Fortunately, he made very few films like those.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 09:34:08 AM »

Here's an interesting homage to the film and a review of the DVD CE. The info seems pretty good (except it is wrong to compare author Portis to the Gone With the Wind lady or Harper Lee: Portis has published 5 novels). Anyway: http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/167-REVIEW-TRUE-GRIT-DVD-SPECIAL-COLLECTORS-EDITION.html#extended

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2007, 06:17:35 AM »

I think most of the dislike directed towards Wayne is based on his political views more than anything else. He is, even today, one of, if not the most popular movie stars ever. Why? Because he's a cool guy and a larger-than-life hero; the kind of guy everyone looks up to, at least as a kid.

I've seen about 20 films with Wayne, mostly Westerns, and while he's no Olivier he has a lot more range than he's given credit for. A lot of his contemporaries, directors, and peers felt the same way. Watch "Red River" or "The Searchers", and then watch one of his more typical hero roles like "The Alamo" or "Rio Bravo" - it's definitely not the same character. Granted, he's not a truly great actor, but he never claimed to be, so I don't think that should be held against him.

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2007, 07:39:19 AM »

while he's no Olivier

Yeah, he's better.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2007, 12:16:41 PM »

Titoli scores again! (and from behind the 3-point line)  Afro Afro Afro

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2007, 03:54:11 PM »

Does that make me bring anything home?

« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 04:04:46 PM by titoli » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM