Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 07:53:06 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  True Grit (1969)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: True Grit (1969)  (Read 19748 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2007, 06:02:04 PM »

Maybe I'm partial to this movie, though somebody here appreciates it as well. The fact I've been watching it costantly after I first saw it at the theatre, on tv. Over here it is aired once a year and I always catch some snippet, though I never watch it completely. I've finally come across my 3 euros dvd and could watch it undubbed. It is my favourite Wayne, probably, more than Shootist, Liberty, El Dorado or Searchers. I don't want to imply I can't find faults in his acting. As I have written elsewhere I don't like his delivery, too punctuated to sound natural, can't understand why nobody told him to speak more fluently instead of dragging every word. Still his mimicry is tops and the character is the one he was meant for when he was born. He couldn't have played Cogburn before spaghetti. Cogburn's morals are too loose compared to Wayne's earlier incarnations. What everybody thought at the time, that his was more an achievement Oscar than a real one he earned, was uncorrect. Wayne deserved it completely. What I cannot understand reading some comments here is why many can't see Kim Darby's excellence too. I'm always been impressed by her performance, on a par with Wayne's: the chemistry between the two is sublime, I could be there watching their repartees for hours. And not to be forgotten is also Duvall's performance: he sketches a badman character without pressing on his devilish traits. He's bad because he's bad, that's all.
The main fault with the movie lies with the score. It could have been written 15 years before, as unoriginal as can be. 

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 06:16:01 PM »

I liked True Grit alot.

I like the way Rooster Cogburn is more of an anti-hero character instead of his usual pure hero.

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 07:21:09 PM »

And when John Wayne wasn't playing his usual self, his role would really shine, such as Searchers and Liberty.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 01:31:27 AM »

And when John Wayne wasn't playing his usual self, his role would really shine, such as Searchers and Liberty.

"Big Jake" has another amoral John Wayne as the hero.
The film is surprisingly gory too. Missed the R rating by very little.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 04:40:39 AM »

True Grit is ok, and of course the anti hero turn by Wayne as Cogburn had the SW influence or at least as you say opened the door to that type of portrayal. Kim Darby's turn was excellent also but I have to admit that I find the type of woman she portrayed as quite annoying, prehaps that clouds our judgement, it definitely does mine. Glen Campbell wasn't an accet either. The fim is entertaining though.

The film was shot primarily in California, and Durango, Mexico, so it hardly resembled the high plains Indian Territory, the mtn peaks were a bit too high and rugged, its like Fords "Drums Along the Mowhawk" which doesn't look like anything around here (upstate NY).

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 05:51:16 AM »

I find the type of woman she portrayed as quite annoying, prehaps that clouds our judgement, it definitely does mine

Well, she's not a woman but a rather young girl (under or who just turned 16) who's a bookkeeper by profession and mentality, with little experience of life (and rugged pioneer life at that) and lives by literally accepted principles: but she will learn to relent from the experiences and that is what the film is also about: strange that you didn't catch that as I think it is rather plain, in tipical hollywoodian fashion.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 05:18:56 PM »

Well, as I've said elsewhere, I like this film a lot, and its chief virtue (among many) is its language. This is due to its faithfulness to Charles Portis's novel, which has characters speaking like no other characters in Western films. I don't know if that is the way people spoke in 19th Century Arkansas, but it is certainly not the way people spoke in America in 1969, or at any time in Hollywood Westerns, and it is certainly refreshing to hear. I usually like my Westerns visual without much dialogue, but if you ARE going to do a talky Western, then doing it with dialogue like Portis's is the way to go.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 07:15:42 PM »

Just finished reading the book.  Language in book was about the same as the movie. The movie and book hold together faithfully until the very end.
I won't spoil it for anyone in case they want to read the book also.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 04:12:27 PM »

Comparison of the new SE with the old release is up at Beaver: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews16/true_grit_dvd_review.htm

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 05:05:52 PM »

Kim Darby's turn was excellent also but I have to admit that I find the type of woman she portrayed as quite annoying, prehaps that clouds our judgement, it definitely does mine.
Surely that was the intention CJ?

Yes this is probably my favourite Wayne film and his most colourful role.The finale when he takes on the (i think) 3 guys guys on horseback armed with a rifle in each hand while biting the saddle strap with his teeth is total classic. Smiley

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 05:36:27 PM »

Spot on, Banjo! Afro

Man with no dame
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 10:27:09 PM »

This movie has some really nice supporting bits by the recently deceased Jeremy Slate(very underappreciated character actor and one of my favorite biker movie badguys), Jeff Corey and Dennis Hopper. For anyone interested, look up Kim Darby, she was a girl then, she's a babe now. rrrrrrr Evil! Favorite Wayne line: "Why, you aint no bigger than a corn nubbin!" Still not sure to this day what that meant.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2007, 08:22:57 AM »

For anyone interested, look up Kim Darby, she was a girl then, she's a babe now. rrrrrrr Evil!
She's 60 years old! (b. 1947) You got a thing for older women, eh?

Man with no dame
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2007, 08:31:36 AM »

When they look that good, yeah, I don't discriminate. I'd take her over Paris Hilton any old day of the week.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2007, 04:21:07 PM »

Tongue

I love Paris in the morning and in the evening. And at night. If she's sober.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM