Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 07:53:55 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Cowboy (1958)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cowboy (1958)  (Read 7070 times)
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 03:31:30 PM »

I loved this movie. It feels ten years ahead of its time. Whoever made the Face to Face '67 connection was dead on, I thought the same. You either buy the character switch or don't. I did.

The scenes in Mexico were so well done - Peckinpah probably took some notes for the Wild Bunch.

This was beautifully filmed, the night scenes were gorgeous. Interiors looked spot on too.

I loved Lemmon's performance and accepted him as a cowboy, more importantly western star, by the third act.

If I had more free time and wasn't so lazy, I'd write a book about how absurdly fucking underrated Glenn Ford is. He might be my favorite western actor.

Daves only impresses me more and more as time goes on. He's one the most overlooked of the big studio directors. He has a bit of Ford, Hawks and Ray in him. Very versatile.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 03:36:42 PM »

Daves only impresses me more and more as time goes on. He's one the most overlooked of the big studio directors. He has a bit of Ford, Hawks and Ray in him. Very versatile.
Daves is steadily coming into his own. Rumor is that Criterion's next Western will be 3:10 to Yuma.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 03:47:03 PM »

I did hear that. I would LOVE if Jubal or this were included somehow. Obviously both would be great but I have to keep things somewhat realistic.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 07:07:06 AM »

From French label Carlotta:
Special Features:
NEW 4K Restoration from Sony Pictures
Interview with Michael Daves (son of director Delmer Daves): Part II
Cinematographer Richard H. Kline (The Boston Strangler) on director of photography Charles Lawton Jr.
Interview with Jan-Christopher Horak, Director of UCLA Film & Television Archive
Original Trailer
No word on the aspect ratio, but Sony wouldn't do a 4K restoration and then blow the OAR, would they?

UPDATE: I just went to amazon.fr and they have the cover art up for inspection, both front and back. According to the back of the packaging, the AR will be 1.85:1. Ordered!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:13:45 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 04:22:19 PM »

I think this is the release that will make me buy a region free player unless there's something from TT coming along the way. I've been lucky for the most part with R1 releases but I love this movie too much.

Thanks for posting this DJ.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2015, 06:18:41 PM »

wow, I don't think this is THAT good a movie, but hey, to each their own  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 05:30:47 AM »

In fact, it's a very good "true" Western (i.e. based on actual events).

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 06:09:17 PM »

I don't mean it in a way that this movie is so great that I'd spend over 150 bucks to own it (counting the region free BR player), but this is the release that tipped the scales for me.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 06:34:49 PM »

I don't mean it in a way that this movie is so great that I'd spend over 150 bucks to own it (counting the region free BR player), but this is the release that tipped the scales for me.

That means that the region-free BRD player is what, like 120 bucks? that's not a bad price to pay to never have to worry about region-coding again.

The reason I haven't gotten a region-free player yet is mostly that I kinda have a fear of any technology that I have to do too much work with; but if it's real simple to simply change region codes, I may just get one myself soon. Keep me posted with which one you get and how well it works, please. Thanks  Afro

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2015, 02:59:35 PM »

It might be a few months but I'll post an update and hopefully will save some insight on the topic.

I'm really frugal so I was initially looking for a way to mess with my PS3 to make it play all regions but I don't think it's possible or I don't have the tech skills to pull it off.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2015, 10:06:41 AM »

The ratings are good at Blu-ray.com: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Cowboy-Blu-ray/129249/#Review

Pre-ordered!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2015, 05:49:06 AM »

agree.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM