Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 08:50:57 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  "eli, this isn't a normal kind of western !"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "eli, this isn't a normal kind of western !"  (Read 4638 times)
CISCO
« on: January 03, 2007, 12:51:25 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anybody ever notice how many times horse's whinny after a quick exchance of fire. and yet leone wouldn't put cotten in the ears of the horse eli wallach was tied to. he told leone the sound of the dynamite rigged to pop the noose would frighten the already frightend horse which
tuco was on in the 2nd hanging. after the small dynamite went off the horse galloped a full mile from fear of loud noises w/ eli trying to steer using only his legs. in the good the bad and me, wallach never forgave leone for this. 

leone also made wallach do the scene of the train cutting his handcuffs off twice while showing it was really eli and not a double. steps on train nearly decapitated eli going by.

can anybody tell me the three little words clint said back to leone when it came time for placing tuco and blondie way too close to the blowing up of the bridge ?

« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 01:20:06 AM by cisco » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 04:59:34 AM »

"Were are you gonna be"? (that's more than three  Wink)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
CISCO
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 07:59:01 AM »

clint to leone : where you gonna be ?
leone: up on that hill.
clint: so are we.
leone: i want you close to the bridge
clint: no, sergio. we'll stand up there w/ you  !

after the first bridge blew up clint and eli were practicing putting. clint surveys the situation and winks at eli and says " see what i mean"

Beebs
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 05:35:24 PM »

You've read his book, have you not? I thought it was quite entertaining! Grin

CISCO
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 03:37:34 PM »

You've read his book, have you not? I thought it was quite entertaining! Grin
i wouldn't tie my shoe laces together and fall down trying to get to barnes & noble. it drags in places but hey it's tuco amigo. i devoured the leone section upon contact. eli's description of the scene is really spot on. it was verry hard work plus leone was constantly observing , looking to try whatever came into his head like the helicopter. i compared the eli profile w/ nighteagle's interview w/ stefanili. wild & crazy set.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 03:39:23 PM by cisco » Logged
Angel Eyes Jr.
Chicken Thief

"I'll ask the questions"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 10:38:28 AM »

The horse incident with his hands behind his back, The train incident where he almost got decapitated and the shovel incident where LVC almost sliced his head off.  Eli was very Lucky. But Tuco was born lucky and those that do not understand that do not understand Tuco.  Whaaauwaaawaaawahwah.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 01:35:35 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the already frightend horse which
tuco was on in the 2nd hanging. after the small dynamite went off the horse galloped a full mile from fear of loud noises w/ eli trying to steer using only his legs.

leone also made wallach do the scene of the train cutting his handcuffs off twice while showing it was really eli and not a double. steps on train nearly decapitated eli going by.

The horse with Tuco on it was the 1st hanging, in second hanging horse ran off leaving Tuco held by the partially-shot rope.  And Wallach did the handcuff-chain cutting scene just once, nixed a re-do, according to the DVD extra.

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 06:43:33 PM »

With all the close calls that Eli went through in that movie, I think Leone took some very dangerous risks with Eli's life.  Why would ANY director/producer put an actor's life at risk, just to film a movie?  I mean, a movie/film isn't worth risking someone's life.   I just think it was wrong on Leone's part to risk Eli's life, especially the second hanging where the horse runs away and the train incident.  Eli did, of course, know NOT to lift his head until the train passed by completely, considering the step could have decapitated him.  I also believe that is why he kept his head so close to the ground - and his face turned away from the tracks.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 09:24:06 AM »

With all the close calls that Eli went through in that movie, I think Leone took some very dangerous risks with Eli's life.  Why would ANY director/producer put an actor's life at risk, just to film a movie?  I mean, a movie/film isn't worth risking someone's life.   I just think it was wrong on Leone's part to risk Eli's life, especially the second hanging where the horse runs away and the train incident.  Eli did, of course, know NOT to lift his head until the train passed by completely, considering the step could have decapitated him.  I also believe that is why he kept his head so close to the ground - and his face turned away from the tracks.
;)If we're talking about directors that are dangerous to their actors, I don't think Leone is even close to being the worst. Martin Sheen actually cut himself while actually being drunk in the opening scene of Apocalypse Now. He also had a heart attack during the filming. Plus he has said he was constantly so high that he can't remember much about the filming. I think Coppola can be accused of a lot of this. And then there's this bit of info on the filming process of Aguirre, the Wrath of God:
According to director Werner Herzog, Klaus Kinski threatened to abandon the film entirely at one point during the shooting. Werner Herzog says he threatened to kill Klaus Kinski and then turn the gun on himself if Klaus Kinski left - and later declared he was quite prepared to do so. Klaus Kinski stated in interviews that Werner Herzog wielded a pistol to emphasize the threat, but Werner Herzog denies this.
I don't think Leone ever meant to risk the lives of his actors, unlike some of his colleagues. Cheesy

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 04:57:15 PM »

;)If we're talking about directors that are dangerous to their actors, I don't think Leone is even close to being the worst. Martin Sheen actually cut himself while actually being drunk in the opening scene of Apocalypse Now. He also had a heart attack during the filming. Plus he has said he was constantly so high that he can't remember much about the filming. I think Coppola can be accused of a lot of this. And then there's this bit of info on the filming process of Aguirre, the Wrath of God: I don't think Leone ever meant to risk the lives of his actors, unlike some of his colleagues. Cheesy

Well, what Leone wanted from Eli in the train scene where he's got the chain on the tracks, was certainly not safe.  I mean, Leone knew the danger to Eli's life there, but he wanted Eli to be close to the tracks anyway.   I personally may have gone with a stunt double or even had a 'dummy' on the tracks just to be safe, so there would be no risk at all of injury or death.   Of course, on the other hand, if Eli believed it was way too risky to be that close to the tracks with the train coming toward him, I think he would have declined to do it.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 04:58:22 PM by Calamity Jane » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM