Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 04:21:22 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Ride Lonesome (1959)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ride Lonesome (1959)  (Read 12049 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 02:20:34 PM »

Pretty cool flick. I liked Seven Men From Now a lot more though.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 05:52:50 PM »

It's a question of choosing your favorite Lee, Marvin or Van Cleef. I'd say it's a toss up.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 09:25:07 AM »

This one's on TCM to night at 8:00 for any Americans onboard. I may catch it again.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 08:11:34 PM »

It's a question of choosing your favorite Lee, Marvin or Van Cleef. I'd say it's a toss up.

Not quite. Pernell Roberts has the Marvin role in Ride Lonesome; Van Cleef is a completely different character.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 03:23:53 AM »

just saw the movie for the first time (got the dvd from Netflix, it's in widescreen).

I agree with many of the comments here: Van Cleef was not used properly, his dialogue was way too fast. James Best, Pernell Roberts, and James Coburn were cast well). Also, SPOILER ALERT this is the first AW I have seen in a loooong time that came before the SW influences, in which the man doesn't get the girl at the end  Wink

Also, this film may feature less people than any film I have ever seen: Scott's group has 5 people, + 5 in Van Cleef's gang. Plus about 10-15 Indians or so? So about 20-25 people in the entire film.... Off the top of my head, I don't know if I can think of a film (Western or otherwise) I have ever seen that has less people than this one

« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:25:24 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 04:12:25 AM »

Well check out the other three small cast Westerns of Boetticher, "The Tall T", "Comanche Station", and "Seven Men From Now".  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 05:05:42 AM »

Well check out the other three small cast Westerns of Boetticher, "The Tall T", "Comanche Station", and "Seven Men From Now".  Afro

haven't seen 'em yet, but will do. Thanks for the recommendations  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 11:34:58 AM »

RE: the least people in a movie: I just saw "12 Angry Men" for the first time (TCM has been showing lots of Sidney Lumet's movies lately). It may rival Ride Lonesome in terms of having the least people... but I think Ride Lonesome probably has less.

We have the 12 jurors and the guy who stands outside the jury room. And in the opening scene, we see a few people in the hallway; plus in the courtroom, we see the judge and the defendant. I don't remember whether we see anyone else in the courtroom.
In the final scene, we see some people leaving the court building; it is not clear whether those are only the jurors, or also some others; I think there are probably some others as well. All told, my guess is that there are probably more than the 20-25 people that are in Ride Lonesome.. but it's pretty close  Smiley

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 12:13:13 PM »

The Shooting  (beneath 10)

The Naked Spur (5 and a few Indians for one scene)

I'm sure there are more

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »

I just watched this for the 4th or 5th time and it improves on every view. It's a near masterpiece to me. Everything has pretty much already been said. BB does everything with nothing. I also loved how he keeps mistakes in his movies - Scott hits his head on a piece of wood in The Tall T and his hat falls from his face when he attempts to sleep in Ride Lonesome. Little touches like that are the difference between good and great movies imo.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 07:23:19 AM »

T.H. said it best and more succinctly.

Another entry in Budd Boetticher's Ranown Cycle, Ride Lonesome (1959) is an extraordinary film. It crams a lot of plot, action and character drama into its 72 minute run time, forging a classic Western.

Bounty hunter Ben Brigade (Randolph Scott) captures outlaw Billy John (Tom Laughlin... er, James Best). Returning him to Santa Cruz, Ben encounters Sam Boone (Pernell Roberts) and Whit (James Coburn), two outlaws who hope themselves to turn in Billy John for amnesty. They also encounter Carrie Lane (Karen Steele), who lost her husband to Mescalero Apaches. The quintet escapes the Indians but Billy's brother Frank (Lee Van Cleef) on their tale. Sam and Whit suspect Ben has a score to settle with Frank, uncertain of their role.

Like its predecessors, Ride Lonesome presents a compact Western drama. Boetticher provides two big action scenes (an Indian chase reminiscent of The Searchers, the gruesome final showdown) and some striking Cinemascope photography (you'll remember the burning tree, if nothing else). Boetticher and writer Burt Kennedy again mix sharp characterization with brutal violence, making cliches like Indian attacks and revenge-seeking fresh. Again, archetypes aren't bad when they're so skillfully handled.

Ride Lonesome reconfigures Ranown dynamics slightly. Ben's still stoic ("She ain't ugly!" he drawls while ogling the voluptuous Carrie) but shows coarser edges as a bounty hunter with a grudge. Notably he forces Frank into an uneven showdown by threatening to hang Billy, a nasty scene reminiscent of Anthony Mann. Carrie makes an agreeably complex character: she's tough and self-reliant but still feminine, a good compromise between extreme polarities. Unlike Maureen O'Sullivan in The Tall T she's happy in her marriage and doesn't run into Ben's arms.

More typically, Boetticher shows greatest sympathy to the side characters. Sam genuinely wants to go straight, seeing the amnesty as the key to redemption. A tough but noble soul, Sam proves his worthiness by backing Ben when Billy John gets the drop on him. Boetticher even grants the conventionally villainous Frank humanity, begging for his brother's life. Boetticher's gunfighter ethics ("Some things a man just can't ride around," here uttered by Sam) feel as immutable as the samurai's bushido code.

Randolph Scott again provides a laconic anchor, but here he's outshone by his co-stars. Boetticher favorite Karen Steele agreeably mixes toughness and vulnerability, one of the better Western heroines. Pernell Roberts gives a layered turn while James Coburn makes a memorable debut performance. Lee Van Cleef provides his best pre-Leone performance, making the most of brief screen time.

Ride Lonesome marks another home run from Budd Boetticher. The Ranown films are marvelous in their simple beauty, and this is one of the best. 9/10

http://nothingiswrittenfilm.blogspot.com/2013/04/ride-lonesome.html

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 10:01:27 AM »

The Shooting  (beneath 10)

The Naked Spur (5 and a few Indians for one scene)

I'm sure there are more

Secret Honor has one.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 04:21:22 PM »

I know

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM