Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2019, 06:47:46 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  SLWB Book Club
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: SLWB Book Club  ( 8350 )
Jon1

« : January 06, 2007, 05:37:39 PM »

Anyone interested?  We could choose something to read as democratically as possible (hopefully something available in everybody's local library), and read as little as--I don't know--a chapter a week....so even the busiest among us could keep up if they wanted to.

What do you think

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #1 : January 06, 2007, 05:42:22 PM »

i'm game

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Jon1

« #2 : January 06, 2007, 05:44:26 PM »

Maybe it could be akin to the SLWB oscars....everybody nominates a book then we vote which one to read....

But again, I would hope it would be something that everybody could get for free at their local library

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #3 : January 07, 2007, 07:16:09 AM »

That would be great, but if I participated, it really should be something well-known, so I could be sure I can get it, too... If it were something I have at home myself and haven't read yet, it would be the best for me. But I have no idea what books are well available in the USA or other countries.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #4 : January 07, 2007, 07:17:48 AM »

i think the best way to do it would be for everyone to nominate a book and then take a roll of which ones everyone can get a copy of, then go from there.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #5 : January 07, 2007, 07:26:58 AM »

i think the best way to do it would be for everyone to nominate a book and then take a roll of which ones everyone can get a copy of, then go from there.

Sure. But I have no idea what book to nominate. Maybe except 1984, because we have to read that one for school and I already borrowed it. But I suppose many people here have already read it...

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Jon1

« #6 : January 07, 2007, 04:29:15 PM »

Sounds like a good idea Grandpa.

Marmota-B...how did you get your hands on Life of Pi?  Tat's not exactly a classic, although I guess it was a bestseller

Jon1

« #7 : January 07, 2007, 05:00:43 PM »

So three people so far...

If you're in, be sure to nominate a book to read.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #8 : January 07, 2007, 11:25:02 PM »

Marmota-B...how did you get your hands on Life of Pi?  Tat's not exactly a classic, although I guess it was a bestseller

In library. It came out recently here. And our Literature teacher liked it and put it on our list of books suitable for reading this term. ;)

Jon1

« #9 : January 08, 2007, 03:44:27 PM »

Anyone else in?

I'll nominate "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" to get the ball rolling, but I'm not attached to reading it.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #10 : January 08, 2007, 11:23:22 PM »

I had an idea and forgot it... so, also to let it rolling, what about Seven Years in Tibet? (We have it at home. ;))

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #11 : January 09, 2007, 08:19:24 AM »

i hate to sound like an english teacher, but i would nominate heart of darkness by joseph conrad, it's the most accessible of the books i've wanted to read for some time but haven't... and it's even online for free http://www.online-literature.com/conrad/heart_of_darkness/

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #12 : January 09, 2007, 08:31:49 AM »

Our Literature teacher somehow skipped that one, so you don't sound like a teacher to me at all... they also have it in Prague library, so I'm sure it's available in Czech for me. :) I might be able to read it in English, but with all the work I should do in these days I would prefer Czech version of the chosen book.

Jon1

« #13 : January 09, 2007, 03:41:22 PM »

i hate to sound like an english teacher, but i would nominate heart of darkness by joseph conrad, it's the most accessible of the books i've wanted to read for some time but haven't... and it's even online for free http://www.online-literature.com/conrad/heart_of_darkness/
I've read it...it's not my favorite, but I'll read it if that's what we vote on.  You know Apocalypse Now was based on it right?

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #14 : January 10, 2007, 12:30:48 PM »

i am aware of that, but i'm also aware that most of the stuff i find brilliant in apoc is due to john milius' brilliance, but regardless of the movie and how great it is, the book still looks very interesting to me... i've always tried to seperate the two.

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines