Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2019, 05:44:12 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  SLWB Book Club
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: SLWB Book Club  ( 8347 )
Jon1

« #15 : January 12, 2007, 05:57:17 AM »

Anybody else in?  Will there only be three of us for the first book?

I'll nominate another:  Sidhartha by Herman Hesse

I've never read it, but heard it's good.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #16 : January 12, 2007, 10:14:37 AM »

just so you know, 1984, siddhartha, and heart of darkness are all free online and in full on that website I linked, personally I'm interested in reading any 4 of the nominated books. I have about an equal knowledge of all them but have never fully read any of them. 2 I've seen movies based on, and 2 I've semi-skimmed for school.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #17 : January 12, 2007, 11:20:41 AM »

I think I would vote for Siddhratha. I've also heard - from more people - that it's good and I suppose it's the type of book I would like reading in my free time. Of course, if it were 1984 in the end, I wouldn't mind, because I have to read it anyway - and it would be really helpful if we could discuss it together!

Jon, I finished Life of Pi just about 15 minutes ago. But I think I need more time to think about it...

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Jon1

« #18 : January 12, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »

just so you know, 1984, siddhartha, and heart of darkness are all free online and in full on that website I linked, personally I'm interested in reading any 4 of the nominated books. I have about an equal knowledge of all them but have never fully read any of them. 2 I've seen movies based on, and 2 I've semi-skimmed for school.
Personally, I'm not into reading stuff off the computer.  But I have all three on my shelf.  If you're ok with Sidhartha, and Marmota's into it too...I'd like to go with it as well for the first book.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #19 : January 12, 2007, 07:50:52 PM »

let's go for it... siddhartha it is.

Jon1

« #20 : January 12, 2007, 09:00:13 PM »

How fast/slow do you guys want to pace it?  The reading doesn't look very difficult to me.  (I was reading it at work this morning before a powercrazed supervisor made me stop)

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #21 : January 13, 2007, 12:38:18 AM »

How fast/slow do you guys want to pace it?

1. I have to find it.
2. How many chapters does it have / how long is it? When I borrow it in library, then I can have it at home for: a) 1 month if it is our local library
                                                                                                                                                                               b) 2 months if it is Prague library

So, here's my answer by question. ;)

I've realised that also Siddhartha is helpful for me for school, so it's really great. :)

« : January 13, 2007, 12:40:19 AM marmota-b »

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Jon1

« #22 : January 13, 2007, 08:59:15 AM »

About 150 pages with pretty decent sized print

It's not long, and it looks like pretty easy reading

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #23 : January 13, 2007, 09:57:07 AM »

OK. I think I'll go to Prague on Tuesday (unless I realise there's something good in school film club, of course - it always takes place on Tuesday), so I'll hopefully be able to start reading then.

Jon1

« #24 : January 14, 2007, 07:32:14 AM »

All right.  Let us know when you get it. I'm going through "One Flys Over the Cuckoo's Nest" pretty fast so I'm going to be starving for some literature

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #25 : January 22, 2007, 11:20:22 AM »

Um... I think I'm a bit late with telling you I've got it. What are we supposed to do now? What about meeting here on Friday (my evening/night, your afternoon) with a little conversation? I can read pretty fast, too, especially in school, because, luckily, some subjects (which not so many people graduate in) are already quite free.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #26 : January 22, 2007, 01:40:25 PM »

friday is good for me.

Jon1

« #27 : January 22, 2007, 02:43:33 PM »

Um... I think I'm a bit late with telling you I've got it. What are we supposed to do now? What about meeting here on Friday (my evening/night, your afternoon) with a little conversation? I can read pretty fast, too, especially in school, because, luckily, some subjects (which not so many people graduate in) are already quite free.
So you're saying finish it by friday or what? We could just comment and discuss it as we read it also

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #28 : January 23, 2007, 09:59:36 AM »

So you're saying finish it by friday or what? We could just comment and discuss it as we read it also

No, I don't say finish it...
I mean, we should have an exact time to meet, because I have different time than you, so it might happen, that I would miss the most interesting conversation... or someone else as well, of course. So I thought it would be better to set up an exact time, for example to prepare some observations or so. Plus I'm having tough time with preparations for our graduation ball now. It takes place on Thursday, so until Friday I won't have enough time to proper discussion, I think.
Of course, comments just throughout could be OK, too, but then I would prefer them after Thursday.
These are my reasons and options that would suit me; decide as you want, I just wanted to keep things going. ;)

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #29 : January 26, 2007, 02:02:04 PM »

I'm sorry if someone comes and wants the conversations... I'm sleepy after the ball and I'll probably leave soon, it's already 10 PM here. However, feel free to post your ideas, I won't mind now. (I didn't have much time to stop by in recent days; when I was online, I was usually actually doing other things, so I wished not to miss something.)

« : January 26, 2007, 02:03:13 PM marmota-b »

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines