Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 10:07:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Bullets Don't Argue (Le pistole non discutono)(1964)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bullets Don't Argue (Le pistole non discutono)(1964)  (Read 3980 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2007, 06:28:38 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058475/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/pistolenodiscutono.htm

This movie sucks. Now, it would be unfair to compare it with its twin FOD, but though the Director in the interview included in the extra of the dvd affirms that some reviewer at the time said that this movie showed that an american western could be done also over here, if that is correct only insofar as we take as a term of comparison the b-western or the TV ones. And not even that., in part. The director doesn't come up with a single original shot and most of the time shoots in medium plan to save time, probably. The story is flimsy and, in traits, ridiculous (see the riffraff with the bodies heaved in the garrett, or the fistsight between Garrett and Billy (who's half the size of the other but wins it). When the story drowsily arrives at the ranch of bro and sis you have to make an effortto resist the mawkish dialogues and situations. And the charge of the cavalry is the nadir of it all.   
But there are some elements that must be mentioned. Frank and Cameron performances (faultless) and, of course, the Morricone score.The Maestro delivers one in the traditional way, but I'm sure that you could search vainly for the equivalents of "Lonesome Billy" and the main theme among the scores for western released that year. But where he seems to abandon every connection with the other composer is with some "incidental music" absolutely on the level of his best: the one to be heard when Garrett is shot at by Billy; and even more, during the night siege: And, in the last case, you (or, at least, me) can feel all the contrast between the work of a music Maestro and that of a directorial hack. 

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 04:31:19 PM »

A shame..."Lonesome Billy" and "Gringo like me" are one of my favorite spag tracks.

EDIT: GARBLY GOOK. Whoops. "Gringo like me" is not from this film. Tongue

« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 09:39:51 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 02:00:20 AM »

Very harsh as i watched this last night and was surprised how entertaining this is.Although undoubtably American in style it still manages to provide that sw feel with its Almerian locations(including the FOD sets),some familiar sw faces and of course Morricone-its been bugging me that i've heard the main instrumental theme in another western but i can't place it.
   Yes,the director says that he included every old trick in the book including the tedious US Cavalry charge but i still thought the the plot as a whole was quite engaging all the way up to Horst Francks exit-theres some great tension between him and the very Randolph Scott like sheriff played by Rod Cameron.Afterwards  there is admittedly a big lull but the seige climax is outstanding.
   Theres also another very memorable scene involving the sheriff hauling up the outlaw brothers back-to-back into a loft with a rope while the Mexican friends of the outlaws are trying to break the door down to rescue them.
  I'd give  a respectable 65% rating for this movie that can definately hold its own amongst  many post-FOD sw's that followed.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 03:56:04 AM »

Theres also another very memorable scene involving the sheriff hauling up the outlaw brothers back-to-back into a loft with a rope while the Mexican friends of the outlaws are trying to break the door down to rescue them.

It reminded me of some mute farce of the 20's: but in that case it wasn't taken seriously. We're really at odds on this, though our differences may encourage some reader to watch the movie. Which is the main reason for these mini-reviews. 

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 12:07:27 AM »

...and of course Morricone-its been bugging me that i've heard the main instrumental theme in another western but i can't place it...

The main instrumental theme is also played in 32 caliber killer, with Peter Lee Lawrence.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061865/

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 12:25:33 AM »

I just finished watching this movie, and I would not give it more that 5/10. I found the plot childish and the acting (mainly fighting scenes) surreal. The main reason I watched the movie is because I have been familiar with parts of the soundtrack for over 35 years (Lonesome Billy, Bullets don't argue, and The Indians). While I am pleased of hearing some new-to-me tracks which are not available on CD, I agree with the first poster: the movie itself sucks. No wonder it was such a failure in theatres.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM