Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 06:54:20 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Shichinin no samurai aka Seven Samurai (1954)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shichinin no samurai aka Seven Samurai (1954)  (Read 9897 times)
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2007, 01:43:26 AM »

I'm really surprised that this film seems not to have a separate thread here... (I used "search" button and I hope it really works!)

I saw first part of it yesterday (up to Kikuchiyo sleeping in stable) and I really liked it so far. I met two (Czech) opinions about it: one (on the internet) saying it's too slow, the second (from my History teacher) saying it's wonderful and that he sank into it and didn't notice the running time at all. So far I agree with the latter. Smiley
I hope I'll add more detailled opinion as soon as I see it whole. So, please try not to spoil it for me before...

(BTW, my mom came somewhen in the middle of my watching and watched it with me after that and said she would like to see it whole one day. Such things always please me. Smiley)

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 08:49:10 PM »

you're right, I can't find a thread on it either. I guess it's been covered in the kurosawa threads.
I havent seen the whole movie yet, I got it from the library a couple of weeks ago. but the quality was such that I have decided to wait until I get my hands on the criterion release to see it.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 09:15:25 PM »

Seven Samurai is Kurosawa's best, one of the greatest films of all time, and is on my Top 10. Simply breathtaking.

whenthechimesend..
Bandido

when the chimes end, pick up your gun.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 09:05:46 PM »

Agree, it's a masterpiece and one of the best ever. May I ask, why are you watching the movie in two parts?

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 10:56:18 PM »

May I ask, why are you watching the movie in two parts?

Because finding more than 3 hours of spare time available for watching a film is quite difficult for me... We did the same with Red Beard.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 05:34:05 PM »

And it has an intermission, everybody watches it in 2 parts anyway (if they have the complete version). Whether you wait 2 minutes to see the second part, 2 hours, 2 days, or 2 months should be entirely at the discretion of the viewer (in the Home Theater Age).

I agree this is one of the best movies ever made, but that's a large tent, to my way of thinking. I'm not sure this is AK's best film, I tend to prefer his work in Tohoscope, but it is certainly a great film. It compare very favorably with the U.S. remake, The Magnificent Seven.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
whenthechimesend..
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 01:09:50 PM »

And it has an intermission, everybody watches it in 2 parts anyway (if they have the complete version). Whether you wait 2 minutes to see the second part, 2 hours, 2 days, or 2 months should be entirely at the discretion of the viewer (in the Home Theater Age).

The copy I rented didn't have an intermission. Huh Maybe the DVD region has something to do with it, mine is 4, marmota-b if i'm not wrong lives in Czezh republic, so that makes it what, region 2? I don't know.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 01:47:14 PM »

marmota-b if i'm not wrong lives in Czezh republic, so that makes it what, region 2?

Correct. But I had to look on the DVD cover to find out. Grin With all the talking about regions here (and region-free DVD players) I got totally lost in them. Roll Eyes Especially because I usually don't care about them, because our computer can work as a region-free player...

Uh... so far it seems like my intermission will probably take 2 weeks or more. I'm buried in preparations for our graduation ball, that will take place in a week. The day after it is free (naturally...), so hopefully I will have time to watch the rest then.

whenthechimesend..
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 03:36:24 PM »

Correct. But I had to look on the DVD cover to find out. Grin With all the talking about regions here (and region-free DVD players) I got totally lost in them. Roll Eyes Especially because I usually don't care about them, because our computer can work as a region-free player...

So you watch your movies in your computer?

Uh... so far it seems like my intermission will probably take 2 weeks or more. I'm buried in preparations for our graduation ball, that will take place in a week. The day after it is free (naturally...), so hopefully I will have time to watch the rest then.

Good luck, hope you can see the rest soon because trust me it's worth it. Smiley

A question: Have you seen 'The Magnificent Seven'? It's a remake in a western setting.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 03:39:06 PM by whenthechimesend.. » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 06:28:45 PM »

BTW, the correct running time for SS is 206 minutes. If you are watching anything shorter you're getting rooked.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 11:15:47 PM »

BTW, the correct running time for SS is 206 minutes. If you are watching anything shorter you're getting rooked.

Huh I have one minute more!

Yes, I'm watching films on computer.
And no, I haven't seen Magnificient Seven. My sisters have and at those times I was too small in parents' opinion. We didn't get the opportunity to see it again.

whenthechimesend..
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 12:16:33 PM »

Huh I have one minute more!

If I'm not mistaken I saw a version with 208 minutes. Smiley

And the version I was going to buy had 121 minutes! Shocked

Yes, I'm watching films on computer.
And no, I haven't seen Magnificient Seven. My sisters have and at those times I was too small in parents' opinion. We didn't get the opportunity to see it again.

Lucky you. You'll get to see it without knowing what will happen, unlike me. I suggest you check the movie after, it's worth a watch. I haven't seen the sequels, but they don't look much good to me.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 04:15:32 PM »

Not necessarily. I would rather be inclined to think that some benevolent distributor might have decided to raise up the commercial appeal of the movie and show to the world he can edit a movie better than AK himself while doing the buyer of the dvd a favour, making him save time.
 I was reading the notes in a leaflet included in my edition of SS and Kurosawa tells how he was forced to cut 1h of the movie when it was shown in Venice (from where he brought home the Silver Lion). He was satisfied he could have made the cuts himself (significant, isn't it?) and added that the people in Venice had been shown the 3 and 1\2 Samurai.  As in my edition even the edited version is included, I'll let you know which one I think is the best, the 7 or the half. 

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 05:36:47 AM »

and added that the people in Venice had been shown the 3 and 1\2 Samurai. 

Grin

As in my edition even the edited version is included, I'll let you know which one I think is the best, the 7 or the half. 

I'm curious about it - though I don't have the opportunity to see the half one. Smiley

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 01:55:47 PM »

hmmm....

http://www.cinematical.com/2006/05/31/weinsteins-remaking-seven-samurai/

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/seven-samurai-remake-is-about-mercs-a-thai-village-and-machineguns/

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM