Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 02:57:47 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Where are Harmonica and Cheyenne going?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where are Harmonica and Cheyenne going?  (Read 3907 times)
Vince D
Road Apple

Just pretend it's nuthin'

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2003, 02:33:18 AM »

This is buggin me.....at the end, where are Cheyenne and Harmonica riding off to just before cheyenne dies, and why are they going together?

I know this probably seems strange, but it bothers me that I can't figure it out.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2003, 04:11:45 AM »

I believe they are leaving the "west" which is evolving into the present and has no place for them, symbolically represented by the comming of the railroad, and riding off into the legend of the WEST where they can be immortal.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
El Indio
Road Apple

HAHAHAHA!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2003, 09:58:18 PM »

Agreed. The railroad and Jill represent the new west, while Cheyenne and Harmonica represent the old west. The train enters from the left, and they depart to the right as if being pushed aside in the name of progress. Fantastic closing shot, except for the superimposed "Once Upon A Time In The West" title that meanders across the screen - it's unnecessary and distracts from the camerawork, IMO.

Crazy bellringer was right. There's money to be made in a place like this.
Hey Blondie
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 08:18:43 PM »

There is not an old and new West. One of the titles of this film is "There was Once the West" Jill and the train arriving represents the growth of a society. This town runned by Jill is becoming civilized so Harmonica and Cheyenne don't belong here. Morton was also more civilized the Frank which is why he was always telling him that money is more powerful then a gun, but in the West the gun rules.

Harmonica: So you realized you're not a business man after all.

Frank: Just a man!

Harmonica: Ancient race.

When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk!
El Indio
Road Apple

HAHAHAHA!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2003, 10:59:01 AM »

That's the point I was trying to make, whatever the semantics.

Crazy bellringer was right. There's money to be made in a place like this.
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2004, 04:44:42 AM »

Fantastic closing shot, except for the superimposed "Once Upon A Time In The West" title that meanders across the screen - it's unnecessary and distracts from the camerawork, IMO.

I,for my part,think the OUATITW title at the end is a good solution and also necessary,because the title did not appear at the beginning of the film.

deMaie
Chicken Thief

Just saw myself in a Lucky Luke comics, I'm scary

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 09:45:57 PM »

Hi all

I wondered from memory  Huh

Once Cheyenne died, didn't the Harmonica take
another direction than the one they were riding
toward?

Not sure with the above house/station view!

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2004, 10:56:47 AM »

I  always thought Harmonica was going to turn Cheyenne in  again and collect the reward all over.
Naw, just kidding.  I just thought that they didn't have any more purpose and were going off  to live out whatever life they might could scrape out and not necessarily together either.  Of course, Cheyenne knows its over for him anyway.  He was wanted , and has to leave.
As for Harmonica, the ending seems like the ending of The Searchers.  The main character's purpose has been fulfilled.  Thats it, end of story.
If you wish, its almost like this last movie of Lord of the Rings.  Frodo knows his story is over, and he leaves.

thatluckyfly
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 07:18:58 AM »

hey all, im new here so bear with me, kay? i figured they're leaving together because: cheyenne is dead an naturally should be buerried, and cheyenne hid his wound all through his visit at jill, and he didn't want harmonica to watch him die. could it be that harmonica realises that cheyenne wouldn't have wanted jill to see him dead so she could start a new life without grief over him?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM