Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 10:41:55 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Some thoughts on OUTITW
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Some thoughts on OUTITW  (Read 1774 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2007, 03:59:25 PM »

I just watched this film again this past Saturday, this film is so powerful that it stays with you for a while in little flash backs (mind movies if you will) over the following days. So I'm trying to nail down the magic, and what makes this film eternal.

So here are some thoughts that have been rolling around in my head these past days about this film.

1. Before we had language we humans (an ancient race) interpreted signs that were composed of   
    images and sounds.

2. These images and sounds creat subliminal messages on top of the dialog which are at times more
    important than what is actually said (faces and eyes can express signals that may either validate
    the dialog or reveal ulterior designs).

3. The beginning and much of OUTITW draws on the traditions of silent films where the story is told
    through closeups and exaggerated and/or amplified movements, both simple and complex. The
    silent film captioning is replaced by cryptic dialogs that requires (or even demands) audience
    participation (actually making us a part of the film) to interpret all the visual and aural signs in
    order to de-cypher the messages and meanings to solve the story puzzle.

4. The initial sounds are mostly natural sounds, the wind, the clanging door, the dripping water, the
    creaking windmill, the buzzing fly, all to be dispersed by the shrill whistle of the approaching
    locomotive. Then we heard the pulsing breaths of the machine, drowning out all else.

The score then indroduces the Iconic characters, Harmonica's haunting tune and Frank's stinging
    electrical guitar riff are eerily connected, while Cheyenne's plucky refrain, Jill's lietmotif, and 
    and Morton's theme are not.  This music is like the music of the Gods, so to speak, giving us
    additional clues, and together with the Western "Quotes" which are not only composed of all the
    familiar Western films which came before, but include also all the oral, written, and image
    depictions of the "WEST" which are distilled into the stuff of Fairy Tales, Legend, and Mythology.

So in effect this mesmerising film of flickering images replaces the the flickering camp & hearthfire stories of our ancient past.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 04:03:31 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 04:08:40 PM »

Leone's films are all about taking ordinary, played-out American myths and making them even more larger-than-life. And I love that mythology.

If you give me a western that's actually realistic in terms of dialogue and character ( for example: Open Range ), I become bored very easily.

Rod Steiger summed up Leone's films and I really liked his summarization:

" I don't think the West was grand enough for Leone, so he created his own West! Everything was a bit bigger. Everything was a bit louder. "

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Wink

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 04:19:22 AM »

I think Leone actually took played out Ameican Western legends and elevated them into Myths a strata that they never reached before Leone (BL).

But you are right, and I would go further, don't try watching any Western after this film, I watched "The Professionals" Sunday and it came off as just a simple action Western.

" I don't think the West was grand enough for Leone, so he created his own West! Everything was a bit bigger. Everything was a bit louder. "

I think James Coburn said the same thing about Leone taking the West which was already big and made it bigger.

But all the above that I posted is a part of what makes this film so hypnotic, I really do think its akin or equivalent to the ancient warriors staring into a fire in wonderment as an elder tells of nobel deeds and Myths with shadows flickering on the cave walls.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 09:06:42 AM »

Everything you said about this movie is right on cigar joe. This movie will stay with me forever.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 09:29:41 AM »

The silent film captioning is replaced by cryptic dialogs that requires (or even demands) audience participation (actually making us a part of the film) to interpret all the visual and aural signs in order to de-cypher the messages and meanings to solve the story puzzle.

I think this is one of the things I love so much on this film (and some others as well.) Though it's such mythic story, as you guys said above, still I felt a lot like in real life when watching this, just because in real life one also seems to be thrown into the middle of the story (a little bit like Jill is thrown into the middle of it) and has to decypher it. Something like that.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM