Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 02:47:37 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Up the MacGregors! (7 donne per i MacGregor) (1966)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Up the MacGregors! (7 donne per i MacGregor) (1966)  (Read 10143 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2007, 12:09:41 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062251/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/7donnemac.htm

I can't say I did like it much (I was enthused when I saw it in the theatre 40 years ago...). I think the main hitch is with the unbalance between violent action (there's some) and the humor, which I find irritating in his childness. Evereything comes too easy for the scottish. I think the right approach would have been to make a tits and buns sexploitation movie: and the sequences to be found  in the extra of the dvd go to prove that something in that line was attempted (but I'll wait for Boardwalk Angel, Firecracker and Banjo to support this hypothesis).
Morricone recycles some music from earlier movies and add new ones that are up to his high standard at the time: that's a very good reason to watch the movie anyway, apart from the generous thighs of the 7 women.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 12:29:06 PM »

The fact that "everything comes too easy for the Scots" owes itself to the light hearted nature of both films which, had I seen them upon first release would have found them to a nice alternative to the more serious films of the time and seem a bit out of place since the TRINITY films were six years away.

As popular as these two films were I'm surprised there weren't more Italian westerns after them. The most enjoyable parts for me anyways were the bits with the old folks particularly in the second installment when they partake in some friendly scuffles with their Irish rivals, both the males and the females.

It's also a shame that more Italian westerns weren't given bigger budgets as is apparent in both these films particularly the second film. As I said in my review, I enjoyed them both and would recommend them to anybody interested in something different from the endless stream of revenge themed oaters that were clogging up theater chains during the time.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 02:02:46 PM »

The most enjoyable parts for me anyways were the bits with the old folks particularly in the second installment when they partake in some friendly scuffles with their Irish rivals, both the males and the females.

Those are the very parts I'd do gladly without. And I haven't seen them dubbed in english. I'm rather curious, BTW, what the Britons in this forum have to say about the dub of the scotch and irish characters.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 02:36:45 PM »

I've not watched the Italian dubbed versions on either disc. In fact, the only Italian Western I've watched in Italian is DJANGO because it is miles away preferable to the awful english dub. No, I did also see THE MERCENERY in Italian also. Forgot about that one.

I generally prefer the spaghetti's in english since they are for the most part spoken in english (or attempted).

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 03:18:30 PM »

So you've got the RHV releases. What do you tink of the alternate takes involving Rosita?

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 10:48:42 AM »

So you've got the RHV releases. What do you tink of the alternate takes involving Rosita?

Yes, I buy the original discs whenever possible. The alternate scenes would have, for me, taken the film further away from the carefree light heartedness of the story. What little serious violence there is isn't too jarring as it is not uncommon for comedies to sometimes have serious elements mixed among the comical shenanigans. I've watched the interview with Gastaldi on the sequel and he is very candid and honest about the two films and doesn't candy coat the movies as most other Italian directors do about their films like Castellari, Caiano and Bianchi.

The one problem I did have with 7 WOMEN... was they do not play as big a role as the original title suggests. It would have been far more satisfying if they were given as much screen time as the male actors although they do get to participate in the main action set piece during the finale.

I had a bootleg copy of the first film and bought the Italian disc for the remastering and widescreen picture and also for the features. I enjoy learning as much as I can about the films I like and I enjoyed these two films as they are so unlike anything else that was being done at the time not to mention that the characters get to emote unlike other spags where there facial expressions seldom change.

The only drawback on the 7 GUNS... disc is that about 6 minutes in, the english track is off sync for about 3 minutes. This can be fixed but this was an italian release after all. It's a shame there aren't more releases (Italian Westerns) given the attention these two films were.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 10:58:34 AM »

Oh, and the scene where the Macgregors go looking for Frank James and when they find him, he's an old man calling himself "The Terror of the West".  Grin

One nice attribute on the first film was at the beginning the sons come back to "help" the old folks but at the end it's the old ones who have to save the sons.  Grin

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 12:24:04 PM »

OK, but how do you explain the (attempted?) rape scene being much rougher and sexy than the one in the film and, most of all, being shot with an actor who's not the one who plays Maldonado in the movie?

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 12:53:27 PM »

Hhhhmmm...not sure, I don't remember Gastaldi addressing this in his interview. I'll go back and see. Possibly it could have been some 2nd unit work that the director was unsatisfied with and re-shot it. The alternate footage is a bit racier and apparently these bits were scrapped as there appears to be no post dubbing done for these scenes since the musical soundtrack plays over the action. This is where a commentary track would come in handy.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 05:49:51 AM »

Saw 7 Women For The McGregors last night,very good but it ain't a patch on the original 7 Guns For The McGregors-this sw is an ABSOLUTE MUST and is easily as violent and entertaining as many later (Corbucci etc) humourous sw's-an excellent storyline,tons of great action ,Morricone and LOTS AND LOTS OF FUN.I don't think the sequel's as well paced and too many ideas are reused to lesser effect from the first movie plus i much prefered Robert Woods in the original as Gregor.
9 out of 10 for Seven Guns,7 out of 10 for Seven Women Afro

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 03:32:38 PM »

Banjo, the extra!

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 04:51:57 PM »

Banjo, the extra!
Sorry Titoli-i watched both McGregor films late last night so i didn't get round to looking at special features.I'll remedy this tommorow.
Watched Giraldi's Sugar Colt today and like "7 Women" its stuck somewhere between a bleak violent thriller and a daft comedy which is a shame because this could've been much better but Hunt Powers makes an excellent anti-hero.I may start a Sugar Colt thread after i take another look.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 07:30:55 AM »

I think the right approach would have been to make a tits and buns sexploitation movie: and the sequences to be found  in the extra of the dvd go to prove that something in that line was attempted (but I'll wait for Boardwalk Angel, Firecracker and Banjo to support this hypothesis).
Titoli,I take it you mean those several cut scenes involving Rosita(there didn't appear to be any more footage of the 7 Irish lasses-some nude footage of them would've been more like it!! Wink) with one of the scenes involving her being molested?
I dunno,i like it as it is but had all those 10 or so minutes been left in then the gulf between the violence and comedy would've been all the more wider but anyway this wasn't a problem for me.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 10:49:17 AM »

I was going to pick this up in a Japanese Spaghetti Western set I saw on Xploited.com but thanks to titoli's review on his first post I think I'll skip it.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 11:47:29 AM »

If it was the RHV box it's an italian release. Damn fine movie both of those. Big budget excitement as opposed to what these movies usually got. Some fine action and good stunts one big setpiece involves a train. The fact that everything comes easy for the oldsters is part of the comedic aspects of the movie. 

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM