Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 07:39:42 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Shane (1953)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shane (1953)  (Read 16979 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 05:16:39 AM »

Watched this on TCM tonight and pretty much agree with the last comment made that Shane's is a metaphorical death.

Aside from the really annoying Bille De Wilde its not a bad old school film & Ben Johnson & Jack Palance have some great supporting roles.

1. I never thought Shane physically dies

2. The kid's name is Brandon De Wilde, not Billie

3. I think De Wilde is a) terrific, and b) essential to the film, which is a self-conscious bit of mythmaking. It is about the myth of the Western; the kid is the most important part of the movie

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 08:40:16 PM »

This is my second viewing of this (the first time I fell asleep).

The kid is essential to the film in how it was shot (a lot of voyeuristic low angles) and told.
Thus making the boy's irritating speech tolerable.

The climax is superb I just wish it would have been less obvious that Ladd's gun isn't quite pointing at the final adversary when it goes off.

I got that Shane's fate is ambiguous.
Which was the intention.

8/10

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 08:22:32 PM »

Shane is a masterpiece in my mind. I can't think of any potential shortcomings. I don't mind the kid, a performance can never ruin a movie for me especially something as great as this. This one gets better each view, looks gorgeous, has a great pace, good soundtrack and so many memorable scenes. The scenery is beautiful. I can't wait to see this on bluray.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 09:08:22 AM »

yeah, a very good score

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 10:18:35 AM »

I hate the kid but love just about everything else about it. A bit talky for a Western but it attains a perfect level of Western mythology and iconography that few oaters achieve.

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 01:42:53 PM »

I recently re-watched the film myself after quite some time. First viewing I thought it was good not great. However when I saw it again a month ago I re-evaluated my first impression. I loved the movie. It's got everything I like in a western: breath-taking scenery, strong fearful villain (a big MUST), story of small ranchers and farmers against a force much stronger than they, and a fantastic musical score.

Liked just about everything about the movie. Though I do wish they explored Shane's PTSD a bit more, would've made for some dramatic sequences.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 05:01:47 PM »

I recently re-watched the film myself after quite some time. First viewing I thought it was good not great. However when I saw it again a month ago I re-evaluated my first impression. I loved the movie. It's got everything I like in a western: breath-taking scenery, strong fearful villain (a big MUST), story of small ranchers and farmers against a force much stronger than they, and a fantastic musical score.

Liked just about everything about the movie. Though I do wish they explored Shane's PTSD a bit more, would've made for some dramatic sequences.

That sounds like my experience.

Nice to see you Peace, it's been awhile. What have you been up to? Afro

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 10:11:57 PM »

Nice to see you Peace, it's been awhile. What have you been up to? Afro

Thanks for the greeting! I've just finished my newest short film: "McKinley!" I think I'll make a separate post regarding the film, but I must say I've been running around alot this year. Hope all is well for the board members.   Afro

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2012, 03:06:51 PM »

RE: the whole debate over whether Shane dies: The Negotiator was playing on AMC today, so I watched a few minutes of it; at the end, the Kevin Spacey character talks about how he loves Westerns where the hero dies at the end, and he says that Shane died. (Just mentioning that for the hell of it -- though I have never thought for a moment that there is any possibility whatsoever that Shane dies  Smiley )

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 03:08:29 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 10:51:48 PM »

RE: the whole debate over whether Shane dies: The Negotiator was playing on AMC today, so I watched a few minutes of it; at the end, the Kevin Spacey character talks about how he loves Westerns where the hero dies at the end, and he says that Shane died.
With my left hand, I send a gesture Mr. Spacey's way. With my right hand, I make a similar signal to the horse he rode in on.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2012, 07:44:15 AM »

With my left hand, I send a gesture Mr. Spacey's way. With my right hand, I make a similar signal to the horse he rode in on.

I'd bet it was some sort of inside joke; maybe Spacey or the writer had been having that argument with someone and decided to stick it in for the hell of it.

It's crazy how this ridiculous debate has entered popular culture. Shane is clearly riding away at the end and is not dead. Sure, he has "come and gone," like the myth that he is. He represents the myth of the Western -- particularly the Western hero. Myths don't stay around forever, so he has come and gone into the night. But that physical person did not die.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2012, 08:39:25 AM »

But there are many who think that the final shots implies that he rides away to die somewhere. I am not sure what I think about it, but I think there is something about the atmosphere which says death.

What I also noticed last time I watched it is that you never see the big ranch of the Rykers. Actually al what they seem to do all day is hanging around in that outpost and being bored. Normally such guys should work all day. Especially as they look as they would still do a bit more than only giving orders.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:30:25 AM by stanton » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2012, 09:22:43 AM »

But there are many who think that the final shots imply that he rides away to die somewhere.
Where were these people in 1953?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2012, 09:31:30 AM »

Where were these people in 1953?

Means in 53 everybody thought it went well for Shane?

Just checked a German book. There's an excerpt from a Paramount tagline:

"Only until Shane mounts his horse Joey takes notice of his severe injury ... he silently rides away and leaves the valley for ever to die in solitariness."

(Re-translated from German)

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:42:17 AM by stanton » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2012, 10:02:43 AM »

Not a debate that's ever interested me. Will Penny does that kind of ending better.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM