Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 03:03:51 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Shane (1953)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shane (1953)  (Read 16518 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2013, 05:43:34 PM »

My understanding is that the Academy Aspect ratio is best for this film (as it appears on all previous home video releases). But that's not the one we're going to get. A shame somebody like Criterion couldn't have gotten this and issued the title in 2 forms . . .

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2013, 06:01:08 AM »

arguments contra a 16:9 AR begin here:
http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/the-shane-showdown-part-one-looks-like.html?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2013, 12:02:33 PM »

Part 2: http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/the-shane-showdown-part-two-another.html

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2013, 08:30:17 PM »

Seems it will be released in its 1.37:1 OAR after all:

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/dvd_extra_extra_shane_blu_ray_now_rRRLlr9Ts3GDyA5zhGErQP#ixzz2Qm3s1q31

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2013, 10:57:11 AM »

Very interesting. I wonder why they won't give us both ARs? That would be ideal and it's obvious that, except for the disc mastering, they've got both ready to go. Will it really cut that much into their profits forecast to give us two different versions of the film?

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2013, 01:08:55 PM »

Two would be nice, but I would probably only watch the 1.37 version, so I'm happy.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2013, 03:55:17 PM »

I agree that if we can have only one version the Academy ratio is the one to have. But I am curious about the widescreen version and would love to see it.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2013, 07:11:20 AM »

Bob Furmanek now has two versions of the trailer up, uncropped and cropped: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/widescreen-documentation

Yeah, if I had to choose, I'd go with the Academy ratio.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2013, 11:38:16 AM »

So the film would have been shot in 4:3, and the widescreen version would have the top and bottom chopped, correct? Or is it the other way around?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2013, 12:31:14 PM »

It was shot for 1,37:1, but it seems after widescreen became popular when it was released that Shane was also projected with a masking of top and bottom parts. Bad idea.

I have seen this last year in Singin in the Rain. It often looked obviously awful with parts of the heads chopped off and dancing scenes without feet. Ridiculous ...

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2013, 12:58:07 PM »

It was shot for 1,37:1, but it seems after widescreen became popular when it was released that Shane was also projected with a masking of top and bottom parts. Bad idea.

I have seen this last year in Singin in the Rain. It often looked obviously awful with parts of the heads chopped off and dancing scenes without feet. Ridiculous ...

So the point is that the 4:3 version would show everything that widescreen version would show, plus more, correct?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2013, 01:01:47 PM »

according to imdb, the negative spect ratio is 1.37:1 while the theatrical aspect ratio was 1.66:1 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046303/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

Is there no way to know what George Stevens intended? His son George Stevens, Jr. is still alive and worked on this movie

----

as far as the movie is concerned: it's good, gets an 8/10, but it is not one of the all-time great Westerns. Alan Ladd is, while not the only problem, certainly the biggest. Perhaps a good actor could have made this a great movie

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 01:04:10 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2013, 01:06:55 PM »

Bob Furmanek now has two versions of the trailer up, uncropped and cropped: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/widescreen-documentation

Yeah, if I had to choose, I'd go with the Academy ratio.

After seeing that, I'm glad the 1.66 isn't included. It needs to go away imo. The Ladd Palance duel looked horrible in 1.66.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2013, 01:19:43 PM »

in that case, the movie must have been awful to see in theaters, cuz if imdb is correct, the theatrical aspect ratio is 1.66:1

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2013, 02:20:47 PM »

So the point is that the 4:3 version would show everything that widescreen version would show, plus more, correct?

Yes, but that is also correct for nearly all 1,85:1 and 1,66:1 aspect ratios. Question is for which intended aspect ratio the images were composed. Normally for the widescreen aspect ratio to be shown in theatres, not for the full screen one which formerly often was used for TV and Home Video.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM