Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 05:17:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Shane (1953)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shane (1953)  (Read 16564 times)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2013, 02:23:10 PM »

according to imdb, the negative spect ratio is 1.37:1 while the theatrical aspect ratio was 1.66:1 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046303/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

Is there no way to know what George Stevens intended?

The answer was already given in this thread if I'm not wrong in a linked text. Last page probably.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2013, 03:14:16 PM »

Stevens composed the film in 1951 for 1.33:1, the only aspect ratio going at the time. The studio sat on the film and then released it two years later in 1.66:1, with Stevens co-operation, to take advantage of the new widescreen craze. So the film's original theatrical aspect ratio was 1.66:1. Later, when Stevens brought his personal print to film festivals, schools, what-have-yous, he always showed the film in 1.33:1. George Stevens Jr., his son, is on record stating that his father composed for 1.33:1 and always preferred that ratio, but co-operated with the studio to get the film released in the way the studio wanted to market it. So 1.66:1 is part of the film's history (and the basis for its Oscar), but 1.33:1 is the director's preferred ratio.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 03:16:01 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2013, 02:11:07 PM »

New Warner announcement:
"The street date for the George Stevens production of SHANE in Blu-ray has been moved from June 4, 2013 to August 13, 2013 in order to complete remastering in the original 1:37 aspect ratio."

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2013, 11:32:22 PM »

Amazon lists the blu-ray at 1.77:1 http://www.amazon.com/Shane-Blu-ray-Alan-Ladd/dp/B00C1TOTK0/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1371187817&sr=1-1&keywords=shane

but I don't put much stock in what Amazon says. If an official Warner announcement has said it'll be in 1.37:1, I'd trust that, of course

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2013, 07:49:40 PM »

-- I rated this movie an 8.5/10, but that is as high as I can go with a performance by Alan Ladd. I'm not saying the movie is perfect without him, but he is definitely the worst thing about it. I just hate watching him. I've seen him in two other movies, The Glass Key and the Western-heist movie adapted from the novel The Asphalt Jungle whose name currently eludes me, and all I can say is that he is at best an average actor. And that's why I can never place Shane among the all-time great Westerns. And it's a shame. All the great all-time great AW's have leads like John Wayne or Henry Fonda. But Shane has Alan F***ing Ladd. No use saying what-if, but man, I can just imagine if they'd put Fonda in the lead here, I think it would have been just perfect, and then this movie would have had a chance to be a near-masterpiece. As it is, it's about as good as can be with a crappy lead.

-- in the dvd commentary, Stevens Jr. or Moffat, mentions that in the scene where they needed the horses spooked, they had some guy dress up as a bear, so that the horses would be really scared. I think that's awful. My understanding is that although the Humane Society first started getting involved in movies where animals were used after a horse died in Jesse James (1939), it wasn't until after Heaven's Gate and the awful brutality of the crew toward animals if half the stuff I read on wikipedia is true, I hope every one of those crew members dies screaming of anal cancer that they started getting involved on a much more significant level, and the "No Animals Were Harmed During the Making of this Picture" started appearing..... I can't stand how the commentator - I'm pretty sure it was Stevens Jr. just says this matter-of-factly, like it's no big deal, like it's just explaining another behind-the-scenes trick. I mean, I guess I can't expect him to bash his own father, but this story shouldn't be told matter-of-factly, like it's just another "movie trick" being revealed to us, like there's nothing wrong with terrifying the horses, making them think they're gonna be attacked by bears

Then again, I shouldn't be surprised; so many filmmakers are scumbags, and will do whatever it takes to get a scene. I remember Elia Kazan talking (in an interview in bonus features of DVD of A Streetcar Named Desire) about one scene he directed, in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn in which the little girl actress had to be crying cuz her father died - and the girl "nails" the scene. In fact, Kazan said, he knew that the little girl was very worried about her real-life father who was overseas fighting in the Royal Air Force WWII - so before the cameras started rolling, he started reminding her about her father, just so she would get all sad and start crying. Indeed, she began crying so hysterically, he said he couldn't even get her to stop after he yelled "Cut!" and then he spent lots of time hugging and comforting her (what a great, caring guy!). As he was saying the story, Kazan seemed to hesitate, as if he was embarrassed or wondering "what will people think of me now?" -  but at no point did he say anything like "I was an asshole for doing it, I regret it terribly, I was such a jerk." No, Kazan basically was just matter of fact about it, saying sumthin like (paraphrased), "a director is gonna do whatever it takes to get the scene."
Can you friggin' imagine that - making a little girl get sad over again, cuz she is worried about her father maybe never returning from war, just to nail a scene in a movie? Any normal person that knows a little girl has any concerns/fears/worries, would do all he could to try to comfort her, to make her feel better, to make her feel happier, but this piece of shit, just to try to get a friggin' movie scene to work as well as possible, makes a little girl sad to try to get her to cry.
That's the sort of story that, regardless of what else a person did in his life, that makes me hate the guy.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:17:13 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2013, 02:22:06 PM »

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare7/shane.htm

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2013, 03:19:35 PM »

why is it that Beaver's more recent screencaps are always bigger than the older ones? Is it cuz he now uses a bigger screen? Or is making them higher resolution? I wonder if that has any effect on the quality/accuracy of the screencaps, especially when comparing the bigger ones to the smaller ones?

(assuming these screencaps are really accurate): look at the first screencap comparison, of the deer drinking in the pond: doesn't it look like the blue is less blue on the blu-ray? The sky and the pond really look blue on the dvd; on the blu-ray it's more dull, like the sky looks much less bright blue, it's like more grey, and ditto with the water. of course, there are clouds in the background, but if you look at the non-cloudy portion of the sky, it looks to me like the dvd has a more realistic shade of blue to it.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 03:27:26 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2013, 05:44:26 PM »

why is it that Beaver's more recent screencaps are always bigger than the older ones? Is it cuz he now uses a bigger screen? Or is making them higher resolution?

BD versus DVD

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2013, 12:14:05 AM »

BD versus DVD

no, it's not just DVD vs. BRD. It's his older caps vs. his newer caps. Look at, eg. his caps for Vertigo http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/vertigo.htm the first one is small, the others which include both DVD and BRD are all big. Again, I wonder if it's cuz his system got bigger as time went on (on bottom of his pages, he writes what system he uses; I think he used to use a 46" and now he uses a 60", something like that), does that have anything to do with it? And if so, wouldn't that affect the accuracy of his screencaps? It's not just the size difference, but that fact that he is comparing screencaps for discs viewed on different systems?

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2013, 07:22:50 AM »

To more fully distinguish the differences we have, as usual, let our software upsize the anamorphic release to its chosen 960 pixel width. We have always found that this does a more consistent and less manipulative job that generic programs. We have left the non-anamorphic edition at 720 wide. Both are jpeg manipulated to a negligible 10% of original (90%) for purposes of posting on the Internet. So, bottom line, if we are being technically fair, the anamorphic images have had more manipulation for posting than the non-anamorphic, but this never results in improvement - only a slight softening that is virtually unnoticeable on standard computer monitors upwards of 1600pixel wide resolution.

And yes the BD ones are still the biggest and the only ones that can be clicked on and zoomed in on to see in more detail

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2013, 12:47:05 PM »

Robert Harris gives the new BD a rave: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/325315-a-few-words-about-shane-in-blu-ray/

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2014, 01:07:28 AM »

Just saw the movie again (I have the digital file on my laptop, purchased from IMDB; I'll eventually get the BRD). Here are my thoughts this time around: some are similar to my opinions last time around, others are completely opposite; so I won't belabor the repeats.

I give the movie an 8/10, max of 8.5/10. A better cast could have resulted in a higher rating. I like palance; I think Heflin does a good job with his role, and that's it. Everyone else in the cast is average at best, annoying at worst. I can't believe I once upon a time said de Wilde was terrific; now I think he is really annoying.

RE: the whole "does Shane die?" debate: Some people say that his riding past the cemetery is an indication of his dying. Perhaps you can argue that the cemetery is just on the outskirts of town (remember how the homesteader, played by Edgar Buchanan, who wanted to leave reluctantly agreed to first attend the funeral of Stonewall, since it's on the way outta town?) However, if you look closely, as Shane is riding away at the end, he is slumped over in the saddle. Maybe it's hard to tell cuz it is very dark, and Alan Ladd is very short anyway, but I am pretty sure Shane is not riding fully straight in the saddle; IMO that is a clear indication that he is dying.

I've previously mentioned how I thought that last long speech by Shane to Joey was way too long; the simple line, "I'm a gunfighter," or "I gotta go" (like Harmonica in OUATITW) woulda been so much better. However, I realize now that if Shane was indeed dying and knew it, then he is leaving town not because he realizes there is no place for him in the new world, but because he doesn't want Joey to see him dying. If so, it makes sense that he's give Joey that speech: he's about to die, he knows Joey idolizes him, and he now wants to make sure that Joey does not grow up to emulate him, but to be a good civilized gentleman. Of course, even if Shane doesn't believe he is gonna die, it makes sense he'd give the long speech to the kid before he leaves; however, it's less effective for the movie. So, if Shane doesn't know he is gonna die, I prefer the one-liner; but if he does know he is gonna die, then the speech is fine.

So IMO, the issue isn't merely, "Did Shane die?" but also, "Did he know he was dying?"

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2014, 03:25:44 AM »

good points I'd have to watch it again to comment further.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2014, 05:58:29 AM »

It doesn't matter whether Shane is literally dying or dying symbolically. Either way, Shane has to leave the community. Either way, he knows he has to leave the community. As civilization takes hold, those who have something to do with death must fade from the scene.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2014, 06:20:27 AM »

And when in Old Hollywood the hero can't bang the girl he loves he has to die anyway ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM