Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 04:58:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Hard Boiled
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hard Boiled  (Read 2669 times)
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2007, 10:29:47 PM »

Havent seen any john woo films on this board so i  will start with this 1. I havent seen so someone else start if they seen. From looking at this video looks like my kind of action movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SNmELMoOaQ

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 10:35:37 AM »

This was John Woo's swan song before he left HK for America. His best action film and since its release, there have been hundreds of American action movies that have copied the action scenes which were created and designed by former Shaw Brothers 5 VENOMS star Kuo Chui who also plays Mad Dog, the honorable hitman under the main villains employ. Another Shaw alumni Lo Mang, also one of the famous 5 VENOMS has a supporting role as a vengeful gangster. Chow Yun Fat is in fine form here as a policeman partial to excessive force. This film probably holds the record for most bullets fired and the finale, a 30+ minute assault in a hospital is a tour de force of explosions, guns and ammo. This is frequently on cable and a Criterion release of this and Woo's THE KILLER was available.

Tony Leung Chui Wai may be familiar to members here only interested in art films as he starred in Wong Kar Wai's CHUNG KING EXPRESS.

Anthony Wong lights the screen up as the main villain, which he plays in nearly everything he is in. He would attract much attention and became known worldwide for his portrayal in the graphically nasty BUNMAN: THE UNTOLD STORY. A true story about a man that killed a restaurant owner and his entire family then chopped them up and cooked them in 'Cha Hsu Bao', a VERY popular snack in HK and Chinatowns everywhere, then feeding them to the unsuspecting public. Wong won a HK Golden Horse Award (their Oscars) for his chilling performance.

Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 12:02:13 AM »

Very nice Arizona Colt. It is an excellent action film in every aspect, turning mayhem into a poetic ballet. Although as great as it is, I prefer The Killer by far. Seems a lot more seamless and smoother, while Hard Boiled seems to have a few slow spots feeling like speed bumps to the pace and making less rewatchable.

In my opinion, start with The Killer, and then Hard Boiled. I think it is a much better starting point. While Hard Boiled does have better action scenes, except for the intro to The Killer, The Killer is just a much cooler movie.

Cast no shadows - Draw no light. I rape the priestess on pagan's night.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 06:59:14 PM »

Aguirre, you've nailed it. Also, a lot of the action sequences in HB have been replicated since in other movies, rendering the originals less special, IMHO. The Killer does not rely so exclusively on such things and so is more interesting.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 04:04:57 PM »

THE KILLER isn't very original if you want to get down to it. Woo was an acolyte of Chang Cheh, a famous HK director whose filmmaking style is adopted in films by such directors as Peckinpah, Scorcese and Tarantino. A handful of sequences not to mention the entire character structure in THE KILLER are borrowed wholesale from Chang's movies. All of Woo's movies (US included) have nods to the man who gave him his beginning.

Regardless, THE KILLER is a better film on an emotional level, but the original post was about HARD BOILED, not whether THE KILLER was better or worse.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 03:13:17 PM »

THE KILLER isn't very original if you want to get down to it. Woo was an acolyte of Chang Cheh, a famous HK director whose filmmaking style is adopted in films by such directors as Peckinpah, Scorcese and Tarantino. A handful of sequences not to mention the entire character structure in THE KILLER are borrowed wholesale from Chang's movies.

This may be true, but if you are going to go down this road then you also have to mention the fact that The Killer is ALSO heavily indebted to Melville's Le Samuraii. All you have to do is run the films as a double bill to see it.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Jon1
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 03:47:46 PM »

This isn't me giving Kurugen, or anyone else shit....I'm just confused.  Is this board where we should post about non-Leone films?  Is this where we post about non-Leone SWs?  Or is this simply where you post about other Leone projects that don't have their own board.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 06:45:07 PM »

This isn't me giving Kurugen, or anyone else ******....I'm just confused.  Is this board where we should post about non-Leone films?  Is this where we post about non-Leone SWs?  Or is this simply where you post about other Leone projects that don't have their own board.

its 3 not an E  Wink

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 06:49:50 PM »

This isn't me giving Kurugen, or anyone else ******....I'm just confused.  Is this board where we should post about non-Leone films?  Is this where we post about non-Leone SWs?  Or is this simply where you post about other Leone projects that don't have their own board.

Well...

This is supposed to be the board where we post about all other films that are somehow related to Leone. It could change from person to person, but I interpret this as it means the place where you discuss Westerns (particularly Spaghettis) and that Off-Topic is where you're supposed to post about all things non-Leone related (like, for instance, some film like The Last King of Scotland).

But I don't think most people actually give a sh*t (Titoli is an exception)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM