Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 01:36:06 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Westworld (1973)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Westworld (1973)  (Read 5645 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2007, 08:06:55 PM »

This is a movie I always watch with pleasure. I think is fundamentally a western and the reason why it works is that the main charcters operate in western sets in western situations. Of course the star is Brinner, though I like Benjamin (a sort of poor man's Elliott Gould: or is it the reverse?). Well, if I had to choose Brinner life role I'd go with The Gunslinger without the slightest doubt.
The second movie made on the theme sucks: rewatched it yesterday and it is really something to forget. BTW, can't understand why the Gunslinger is there at all.   

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 08:28:02 PM »

like an earlier, western version of Jurrasic Park....

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 08:46:10 PM »

[SPOILER]

wait..is this the movie where robots go crazy and shoot people with LIVE ammunation

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 09:17:50 PM »

yes

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 09:19:38 PM »

man what would make them think to give ROBOTS LIVE ammunition. But good movie i liked it.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 10:36:37 AM »

like an earlier, western version of Jurrasic Park....

They share the same writer and the Yul Brynner character in FUTUREWORLD was meant as a cameo to link the two films. No other reason.

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 12:06:25 PM »

been wanting to re-watch this one lately.. haven't seen it since i was a little kid

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 03:10:20 PM »

man what would make them think to give ROBOTS LIVE ammunition.

i don't think it is exactly the case. Actually the guns are meant to be shooting at things with low temperature. The Gunslinger's gun is no ordinary gun as we see that at a certain point it gets empty and it signalled to the robot by a red light on the gun itself. So what happened is that probably as the robots' controls even the guns' ones got wrong.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 03:13:01 PM by titoli » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 04:55:17 PM »

What I think makes this movie work is the fact that the audience is expecting macho James Brolin to save the day but then the task falls to nerdy Richard Benjamin. At the moment this becomes apparent, things really get interesting. This trick was tried again, less interestingly, with Steven Seagal and Kurt Russell in Executive Decision.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 06:30:13 PM »

I don't want to make a sport of disagreeing with you, but I don't even yet know who James Brolin is (and, upon my word, nobody in Italy does or did 30 years ago) though I can deduce is Benjamin's pard, and the movie worked fine, even without this prior knowledge. Actually, he may look more macho than Benjamin, but also less smart: and that from the beginning. So it is no surprise that Benjamin got the upper hand on The Gunslinger. I think that the whole concept of the amusement park is what renders interesting the movie even in the first part, though of course the confrontations with Gunslingers are the best part of the movie.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 06:55:45 PM »

James Brolin is Mr. Barbra Streisand, although he was not that in 1973. I don't think you have to know anything about either Brolin or Benjamin before seeing Westworld (the correct title, BTW) to know which is playing the manly man type and which is playing the wimpy guy. This is evident from what we see in the film.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 10:01:22 PM »

The only Mr Barbra Streisand I ever knew is Elliott Gould. No, I don't think the Brolin character comes up as very macho one as compared to Benjamin's. At least I didn't have that impression. What he got on Benjamin is only the fact that he's already been at the Park and knows the tricks.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 04:15:12 PM »

Brolin only recently became Bab's husband but the notion of the "macho guy" being killed off leaving the "wimpy guy" to fight for his life is interesting but I always looked at it as Brolin, whom had been multiple times, was already aware of the various scenarios. Then Benjamin, the more interesting of the two characters, whose first time makes him appear to be a kid in a candy store. And upon being thrust into this very real situation that is not fun anymore, his first time in this fantasy land is turned into a struggle to make it out alive.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 07:55:45 PM »

Good movie for the 70s considering its visual effects, but I don't think it would make any headlines today. The issue of machines malfunctioning/rebelling against man has been the suject of many movies (Colossus- the Forbin project, Terminator, etc), and I found the plot and the suspense very simplistic for today's day and age.

Still, I will give it a 7 out of 10.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 07:49:09 PM »

I'm not what you think I am
I'm the king of Siam
I've got a bald head
My name is Yul Brynner
And I am a famous movie star
Perhaps you saw me in Westworld
I acted like a robotic cowboy
It was my best role
I can not deny I
Felt right home deep inside
That electronic carcass

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM