Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 03:34:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Restored Version at the Music Box...
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Restored Version at the Music Box...  (Read 11376 times)
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2003, 04:33:16 PM »

Hey, newbie here.

Just saw the restored version at the Music Box in Chicago, old movie palace.

This is where I first saw the film as a 9 year old kid back in 1967.  My cousins lived 2 blocks from the theater, and we saw GBU 3 times in the summer of '67.   Each time we would leave the theater all hyped up with excitement, not really being able to explain what we had seen but knowing we'd experienced something incredible.

It's still an incredible movie, it's amazing how well it's held up after almost 40 years.  What I found kind of interesting seeing it again on the big screen is how diminished Eastwood is.  On TV, he commands the screen but in 35mm he doesnt have nearly the same presense.  But Tuco & Angel Eyes blew me away.  The opening scenes with Angel Eyes are insane, epecially when he first dismounts his horse and his first closeup silhouettes that face against the blue desert sky.  The coolest establishing shot ever.  Superb, he IS evil incarnate, especially the scene in the hacienda, "And some in gold...a tidy sum"    Grin

Totally different experience in 35mm, you need to go see it ASAP.  

« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 12:58:51 PM by General Sibley » Logged

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2003, 04:48:51 PM »

Yes it definitely needs to be seen on the Big Screen! Perhaps it seems as if Eastwood is dimmished because it is not a pan and scan version as it was shown for many years on the tube.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2003, 06:27:35 PM »

In Phoenix, GBU played in June 1968, I was 15 and never heard of spaghettis.  I had contacted a local chain and a cinema supper club here about showing the restored GBU, but they weren't interested.  I taped it in une and my family all watched it together on July 4th on a widescreen TV.  My 15 and 12 year-old had never seen it before, but had obviously heard the soundtracks in my truck many times, and both heard GBU theme as their first music (traveling home from the hospital).  So Phoenix looks like it will be largest U.S. City without Amtrak and without GBU both !!!  See, Phoenix can rate for something.

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 10:40:27 PM »

"Judas...you sold my hide!"

Too bad it hasn't been to Phoenix yet, hopefully they book it there soon.  I remember I also saw OUATITW on a 35mm rerelease 5 or so years ago,   that was equally spectacular.  "Well, now that you know me by name..."

Personally, I think GBU makes a great children's movie.   Great moral lessons to be learned, like Brothers Grimm  Wink

But on to more serious matters.  Since the film has been rereleased, will the Academy rules now rectify a grievious injustice and award an Oscar to Eli Wallach?    You get jaded watching it on the small screen so many times, but MY GOD does he sink his teeth into that role.  Bravo!  Clint Eastwood has obviously risen to the screen Pantheon since then, but Tuco makes him disappear whenever they're in the same frame - no easy task in hindsight.   Chewed the hell out of the scenery, but who cares - has anyone ever conveyed a similar manic force-of-nature intensity on screen?  

TUCO RULES!

« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 01:01:19 PM by General Sibley » Logged

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 11:01:45 AM »

Agree, Wallach performance in GBU one of the best ever.  Also, I believe GBU is best ever use of music score in a film, ever.  And agree, there are lessons to be learned from GBU, especially anti-war themes, quite extraordinary for a film with so much killing.

Angel Eyes
Bandido

I'll ask the questions!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2003, 02:18:26 PM »

thank your lucky stars you dont live in the UK , we arent getting it here at all ....  (sound of weeping)

« Last Edit: August 22, 2003, 02:18:55 PM by Angel Eyes » Logged
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2003, 03:11:01 PM »

Angel Eyes, you could probably hop over to Italy & catch it - I'm sure its playing in Rome.  Hows it go again -  Il Bruto, Il Buono Il Cattivo?  Would probably be a trip seeing it in the mother tongue.

Speaking of which, I've heard that the actor who dubs the voice of Clint Eastwood is a huge star in Italy.  Sits at cafes wearing a silk cravatte signing autographs, sipping prosecco.

Angel Eyes
Bandido

I'll ask the questions!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2003, 02:59:37 PM »

Angel Eyes, you could probably hop over to Italy & catch it - I'm sure its playing in Rome.  Hows it go again -  Il Bruto, Il Buono Il Cattivo?  Would probably be a trip seeing it in the mother tongue.

Nice idea Wolverinepete, I wonder if it is on in Holland. I make my yearly pilgrimage to Amsterdam this month, now that would be fun...

« Last Edit: September 02, 2003, 03:02:01 PM by Angel Eyes » Logged
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2003, 03:28:06 PM »

[ I make my yearly pilgrimage to Amsterdam this month, now that would be fun.../quote]

Amsterdam + "Coffeehouse" + GBU + 70mm = FUN

"Theres nothing better than a good smoke after a meal"  Wink

Angel Eyes
Bandido

I'll ask the questions!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2003, 08:29:27 AM »

We can dream...

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2003, 12:54:14 PM »

Angeleyes, I googled Amsterdam and to your utter misfortune it doesn't look like GBU is playing there currently.  

Console yourself with a Sherazade at Cafe Dampkring.

"To sleep, perchance to dream"

Angel Eyes
Bandido

I'll ask the questions!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2003, 01:19:46 PM »

Angeleyes, I googled Amsterdam and to your utter misfortune it doesn't look like GBU is playing there currently.  

Console yourself with a Sherazade at Cafe Dampkring.

"To sleep, perchance to dream"
Just got back Wolverinepete, dont think I'd of found cinema even if it was on. But plenty of sleeping and dreaming though.

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2003, 04:10:18 AM »

I never slept so soundly on a plane as I did returning from Amsterdam, I was OUT until the plane hit the tarmac  Cool

Hey Angeleyes, were you searching for Maria - did she tell you where Beel Carson is?

Adios Half-Soldier!

Bill Carson
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2003, 04:23:10 PM »

greetings to you strangers.  Cool I am Bill Carson and I came across this website about an hour ago and wow! this is where I belong! I'm in London, England, it's about 23:30, Saturday night and the greatest film ever made; The Good, The Bad & The Ugly is playing on Channel 4. It must be a sign of some sort. Leone was,is and always will be the Master. Now, this 'restored version' you speak of? Tell the new boy more my friends!

Angel Eyes
Bandido

I'll ask the questions!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2003, 05:56:48 PM »

greetings to you strangers.  Cool I am Bill Carson and I came across this website about an hour ago and wow! this is where I belong! I'm in London, England, it's about 23:30, Saturday night and the greatest film ever made; The Good, The Bad & The Ugly is playing on Channel 4. It must be a sign of some sort. Leone was,is and always will be the Master. Now, this 'restored version' you speak of? Tell the new boy more my friends!

Welcome Bill, I just watched the Channel 4 screening too, hoping by chance it would be the knew restored version (Clint and Eli have recently voiced some "missing" scenes) that the whole world has seen apart from us. I too live in London and hope is fading that it will be screened in theatres here!

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM