Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2019, 10:42:31 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Post your Top 5/10/50 (doesn't matter) war films.
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2] 3 4
: Post your Top 5/10/50 (doesn't matter) war films.  ( 13936 )
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #15 : January 28, 2007, 06:02:51 PM »

You never saw "Platoon" Silenzio?  ???

Crap, throw it in there at nine. Silenzio always be fuh-gettin' things.

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

« #16 : January 28, 2007, 08:46:52 PM »

Wow. I've only heard of one of those (guess which one  :D ). Are these all Japanese movies? (judging by the title, the first two certainly appear to be)

Yes, they are all Japanese movies (except "Flags of Our Fathers" of course) that tell you how inhuman war is. I wish they were shown all over the world over and over until war is extinct from this planet. 

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #17 : January 28, 2007, 08:50:09 PM »

Yes, they are all Japanese movies (except "Flags of Our Fathers" of course) that tell you how inhuman war is. I wish they were shown all over the world over and over until war is extinct from this planet. 

Alright, I just put Under the Flag of the Rising Sun in my netflix queue, it's fifth after The Office, Le Cercle Rouge, Tokyo Story and Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia!  :D

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

« #18 : January 28, 2007, 09:09:49 PM »

Alright, I just put Under the Flag of the Rising Sun in my netflix queue, it's fifth after The Office, Le Cercle Rouge, Tokyo Story and Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia!  :D

Good choice! It's an excellent film, I can guarantee you. But I must warn you also, it's very graphic (violent). This will be your first Fukasaku film.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #19 : January 28, 2007, 09:15:28 PM »

Good choice! It's an excellent film, I can guarantee you. But I must warn you also, it's very graphic (violent). This will be your first Fukasaku film.

I've been meaning to get myself educated in Japanese films other than Kurosawa's. I was sitting around one day when I realized that I don't think I've seen a single Japanese film that wasn't a Kurosawa one. Frightening. So I'm going to be checking out some Ozu. Any other directors you would strongly recommend?

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

« #20 : January 28, 2007, 10:54:04 PM »

I've been meaning to get myself educated in Japanese films other than Kurosawa's. I was sitting around one day when I realized that I don't think I've seen a single Japanese film that wasn't a Kurosawa one. Frightening. So I'm going to be checking out some Ozu. Any other directors you would strongly recommend?

There are so many I can recommend. Kenji Mizoguchi, Masaki Kobayashi, Kaneto Shindo, Yasuzo Masumura, Mikio Naruse, Shohei Imamura, Kon Ichikawa, Keisuke Kinoshita, Shuji Terayama, Nagisa Oshima, Kiju Yoshida, Kinji Fukasaku, Yoji Yamada, Yojiro Takita, Toshio Matsumoto to name a few. They are all great and significant directors in the history of Japanese cinema. 

Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

« #21 : January 28, 2007, 11:09:43 PM »

There are so many I can recommend. Kenji Mizoguchi, Masaki Kobayashi, Kaneto Shindo, Yasuzo Masumura, Mikio Naruse, Shohei Imamura, Kon Ichikawa, Keisuke Kinoshita, Shuji Terayama, Nagisa Oshima, Kiju Yoshida, Kinji Fukasaku, Yoji Yamada, Yojiro Takita, Toshio Matsumoto to name a few. They are all great and significant directors in the history of Japanese cinema. 

Suijen Suzuki is pretty damn cool, and pretty significant.

Cast no shadows - Draw no light. I rape the priestess on pagan's night.
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

« #22 : January 28, 2007, 11:12:56 PM »

Suijen Suzuki is pretty damn cool, and pretty significant.

He certainly has a unique position in Japanese cinema, but I'm not sure if I can call him significant within the context of Japanese film history.

Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

« #23 : January 29, 2007, 12:16:53 AM »

I think you can. He was very deep into the avant garde scene and broke many traditions in film making. Not to mention his huge influence on pop culture, or counter-culture.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #24 : January 29, 2007, 12:19:27 AM »

My top 5 war movies?

Hmm...

1) DYS
2) Apacalypse Now
3) Doctor Zhivago
4) Lawrence of Arabia
5) Full Metal Jacket

Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

« #25 : January 29, 2007, 12:24:12 AM »

Starship Troopers I think best shows what going through a war can be like without coming off heavy handed and preachy. Too bad the film is often tossed aside as camp.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #26 : January 29, 2007, 12:26:18 AM »

Starship Troopers I think best shows what going through a war can be like without coming off heavy handed and preachy. Too bad the film is often tossed aside as camp.

I like war films that show the psychological effects warfare has on the human mind.

Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

« #27 : January 29, 2007, 12:31:48 AM »

I like war films that show the psychological effects warfare has on the human mind.

Yea, pretty much what Starship Troopers is, combining that with heavy satire on media, and probing fascism.

What did you think of it?

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

« #28 : January 29, 2007, 12:32:53 AM »

I think you can. He was very deep into the avant garde scene and broke many traditions in film making. Not to mention his huge influence on pop culture, or counter-culture.

He was influential in a certain way. But you have to understand he was using the pop culture in his work not the other way around. I like some of his works, but if you consider influence on a thematic and social level not just a form of expression, I think it's debatable if he has been a significant  director in the history of Japanese films.  

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #29 : January 29, 2007, 12:33:50 AM »

Yea, pretty much what Starship Troopers is, combining that with heavy satire on media, and probing fascism.

What did you think of it?

Oh I hate the media.  >:(

I didn't see Starship Troopers. What's it about?

: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines