Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 07:09:00 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Deborah - all a dream?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Deborah - all a dream?  (Read 2109 times)
McWatt
Road Apple

Who are yeh?

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2003, 09:19:07 PM »

It struck me last night - when Noodles meets Deborah as an adult, here she is in Fat Moe's place.  That struck me as a little out of character.  I would imagine that she would have 'moved on' from all the shady dealings of her young buddies and they would have probably shielded her from it (especially Moe, although Moe ain't known for being too clever).  Also, after that initial encounter we don't see her there again.  (Admittedly she could have been talked into coming just for Noodles sake, but bare with me).  

Every time we see her as an adult she is beautiful and out of reach (something that would have irked the younger Noodles) and even when the kiss in the back of the car he still can't have her.  The made up 'older' (haha) Deborah is there to explain all that happened (and for the final act of betrayal).

Is it possible that if Noodles is dreaming the coming home elder section, then he could be dreaming meeting Deborah again as an adult, his actual memories being unreliable (and egged on by fantasy / unfulfilled wishes / guilt etc)?

Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 04:41:55 AM »

I think what you say is completely possible,but I think that Deborah came to visit Noodles because she did still have slight feelings for him[if nothing major]or more likely she felt she ought to knowing how Noodles felt about her.Even before the rape,she kisses him gently,a show of affection if nothing more.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM