Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 01:54:30 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Come and See (Idi i smotri)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Come and See (Idi i smotri)  (Read 13336 times)
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007, 10:39:42 AM »

Any comments on T's use of this motif viz a viz Russian literature?

Clearly Tarkovsky's source of inspiration for this type of character was Dostoyevsky and THE IDIOT. Dostoyevsky is the author most quoted and alluded to in Tarkovsky's book, SCULPTING IN TIME, and Tarkovsky baldly states that it's hero, Prince Myshkin was his "favorite male protagonist". His name crops up again and again in his pictures, and like the birds in the films, in Dostoyevsky's novel, Myshkin declares "There is nothing better than a bird in the world." Dreams are described and discussed at length in the book, and important events revolve around a painting, as they do in all Tarkovsky's films. Tarkovsky may even have identified strongly with Dostoyevsky, as several events in each man's life co-incided. Both had a powerful artistic awakening in the wilds of Siberia, both men were forced to move abroad, finding work in Russia impossible. THE IDIOT was the first of Dostoyevsky's novels written abroad, which he completed in Italy, just as Tarkovsky's first film on leaving Russia, NOSTALGIA was made in Italy. Dostoyevsky even has a brother named Andrie.

In THE SACRIFICE Alexander's greatest stage success was playing Prince Myshkin in an adaptation of THE IDIOT. In SOLARIS Dr. Sartorious, irritated by Kris and Hari's relationship declares "All these heart rending emotions are pure Dostoyevsky!" In MIRROR, Terekhova is accused of "behaving like a Dostoyevsky heroine" and later teased about her new lover, "Is his name Dostoyevsky?"

Like Myshkin, Tarkovsky's idiots all move towards martyrdom, or appear as a means to help others towards that state. Like Myshkin, Tarkovsky's idiots are "innocent" when it comes to sex, and thier experience leads to a renunciation of languge, as was Myshkin's fate, traumatised into silence. As Little Man askes in the last line of dialogue ever in a Tarkovsky film, "In the beginning was the word. Why Papa?"

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 07:54:23 PM »

*SPOILERS*

Okay, you could say I feel quite embarassed. I just rewatched it, and I must say it is one of the most shocking, disturbing, realistic, and amazing (anti)war films I've ever seen.

I still stick with my point that the first thirty minutes or so were very weak. Many of Flora's actions just didn't make sense, there were some pretty poorly composed shots, and acting from Flora, his mother, and Glasha wasn't very good at all.

All of a sudden, when Flora arrives back to his home with Glasha (where I stopped last time), it got much better. Flora now begins to realize the true horrors of war, and Aleksei Kravchenko performance + character really steps up a notch as a whole.

I could barely breathe in some scenes, to tell you the truth. These scenes include dressing a man's corpse to resemble Adolf Hitler, burning down a shack filled of local villagers, holding a gun to Flora's head as they take his picture (as shown in a previously posted image), shooting Hitler's portrait, and others.

As much as I thoroughly enjoyed it on my second viewing, I wouldn't immediately reccomend it, for two reasons:

1. It's not too accessable of a movie for many people to enjoy (mainly the first half hour)
2. It is NOT for the faint of heart. I'm barely effected by movies, and I was pleading to myself for some scenes to just stop, as it was too disturbing.

I typed this up quickly, so I'm sure I made some spelling mistakes/forgot to say stuff I wanted to say. Thanks for the review, Juan Miranda.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 08:37:48 AM »

Hooray! Another convert. Well done for giving it another go RR, and thank's for bringing up the chance to chat about it in the first place.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM