Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 05:02:12 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Birds (1963)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Birds (1963)  (Read 17041 times)
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 04:04:12 PM »

Grin I'm a big fan of Hitch and with the new 9 disc set coming out in R2 land (and your discussions here) I've decided to watch every Hitchcock film that is available on DVD. Should be excellent.  Afro

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 04:11:02 PM »

Yeah, I'm gonna have to get me a copy of that too. BTW, does everybody know about this board: http://www.hitchcockwiki.com/hitchcock/forums/

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 04:18:07 PM »

The Hitchcock Wiki is a great site, the guy who runs it posts quite often on thedvdforums

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 04:41:07 PM »

I didn't know about thedvdforums, thanks. I just went there and found the Hitchcock thread which had a link to place selling the new set cheap. Just preordered it. Very, very thank you!

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 04:45:23 PM »

I see LA beat to one of the pictures you asked about Dave, re: diegetic music. I guess the other most obvious example is ROPE, with almost all the music being played by Farley (carved by Geppetto) Granger on his grand piano. Possibly THE WRONG MAN too, but it's been years since I saw it. I do recall a minimal Herrmann score, with Henry Fonda playing a jazz double bass musician. Also I suppose you could include TALES FROM THE VIENNA WOOD in there, but I don't think this is quite what you meant.

Hitch's most excruciating use of music occurs in the remake of THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, with Doris Day belting out "Que Sera, Sera" at the top of her lungs every 5 minutes.

I had a quick peek at the Hitch forum last time you flagged it Dave. I'm spending too much time on the internet as it is, and it seems to be mostly discussing trivia and DVD releases, I'll have give it a miss.

BTW, here's a remake they thankfully never got round to...

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 04:47:39 PM by Juan Miranda » Logged

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 05:04:55 PM »

I didn't know about thedvdforums, thanks. I just went there and found the Hitchcock thread which had a link to place selling the new set cheap. Just preordered it. Very, very thank you!

Don't mention it  Smiley

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 05:18:43 PM »

Juan, cut that out!

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2007, 05:56:09 PM »

MySpaceBarBroke,SoIMustTypeLikeThis

HaveAnyOfYouSeenRebecca?TheDVDisVeryRare,ButIfYouGetYourHandsOnIt,SeeItImmediately.It'sSimplyAmazing,AndOneOfHitch'sThreeBest.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 06:08:45 PM »

MySpaceBarBroke,SoIMustTypeLikeThis

Took me a moment to get what you meant there, RR. I thought you were advertising your "myspace" site.  Grin

Yes REBECCA is fabulous, and note the fascination Hitch has even then with that landscape where jagged cliffs meet meet a stormy sea, a troubled mindscape which seems to reach back to his silent British movie THE MANXMAN. He would return to this image again and again (even sometimes at the cost of plot rationality), also using it in THE BIRDS.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 06:10:01 PM by Juan Miranda » Logged

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2007, 06:09:43 PM »

Took me a moment to get what you meant there, RR. I thought you were advertising you're "myspace" site.  Grin

I thought the same.

For future reference say "MySpaceBar"

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2007, 07:20:35 PM »

Thankfully, I rememvered about he ons-screen keybpard. Its just going to take a lot longer to type now.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2007, 07:50:54 AM »

I see LA beat to one of the pictures you asked about Dave, re: diegetic music. I guess the other most obvious example is ROPE, with almost all the music being played by Farley (carved by Geppetto) Granger on his grand piano. Possibly THE WRONG MAN too, but it's been years since I saw it. I do recall a minimal Herrmann score, with Henry Fonda playing a jazz double bass musician.
I was thinking of Rear Window and Rope. The Wrong Man uses quite a bit of non-diegetic music, but it’s low-key and rarely noticeable (it does go over the top a bit during the Fonda lock-up scene, the point where the camera starts doing those dizzying loop-de-loops).

Thanks for mentioning TWM, Juan; it reminds me of the fact that Doreen Lang is also in that picture and that she plays the woman who fingers the titular hero. Apparently, Doreen was the go-to gal every time Hitchcock needed a hysterical woman leveling false accusations. She did such a good job in TWM that when the same role was required for The Birds, she was cast.

I’ve always liked Robin Wood’s take on Doreen’s “striking moment” in the Tides (from Hitchcock’s Films (1966)):

It is after the second attack, back in the café, that we are placed (camera-wise) in Melanie’s position in order to be told that we have caused the bird attacks and that we are evil. The accusation is made by the hysterical mother, and we respond promptly (through Melanie) by slapping her face. . . . the accusation remains quite irrational and we are (Melanie is) right to reject it emphatically: Hitchcock is making us reject another oversimplified attitude; the birds have not been sent as a punishment for evil—they just are.
(128)

I do not share Wood’s belief that audience identification with Melanie is ever total. Nonetheless, I think he’s got the matter essentially right: the Doreen Lang character is hysterical, her accusation is not credible, it is necessary to rebuff her (and it), the POV shot helps sell the audience its sense of approval.

Doreen Lang’s function in both films is essentially the same. The difference is that in TWM her false accusation goes unchallenged, and thus Henry Fonda’s world is shattered. In The Birds, however, with her world already shattering around her, Tippi Hedren emphatically rejects Doreen Lang’s hysterical outburst, a necessary first step on the way to leaving behind the town and the birds and finding (perhaps) the means to reassemble her fragmented life.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2007, 10:45:38 PM »

Ouch! http://www.moviemistakes.com/film172

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2007, 06:33:04 PM »

http://imdb.com/title/tt0884788/

remake alert

Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2007, 09:30:23 PM »

Ok that is it. i can't take all these remakes. everyone grab you pitchforks & colt molotaves, were going to Hollywood! its about time those suits burn in hell!  Evil

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM