Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 01:58:22 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Birds (1963)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Birds (1963)  (Read 17051 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2007, 12:17:42 AM »

Remakes are inevitable, I just wish there were more good ones (like Huston's The Maltese Falcon). Hitchcock himself remade a lot of his own pictures, but I guess remaking your own stuff is kind of different.

I very much doubt they'll do a good job on the remake of The Birds, but it should be possible to do it well. My approach would be to conflate Marnie with The Birds (no doubt Tippi Hedren being in both the originals put this idea into my head). Marnie/Melody, after pulling a job, heads to Bodega Bay with her cash. Insurance investigator Mark Rutland follows her trail, which leads to a confrontation with Mitch Brenner, a widower and president of the local bank who has just begun a romance with Marnie/Melody. Rutland tells Brenner he's a fool, Marnie is setting him up to be her next victim. Brenner asks Rutland if he's really after stolen loot or Marnie's soft white flesh. Before an answer comes the bird attacks begin. Are they the objective correlative of the tension that exists between the characters? Are they symbolic of Marnie's avaricious nature? Or are they just bad CGI effects? Perhaps all will be revealed in the final reel!

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2007, 02:18:34 PM »

Grin

It's doubtful they could handle the plot intricacies.  If they combined another Hitchcock film with The Birds, would probably be with Psycho.  Marion Crane rises from the dead and seeks vengeance on all mankind by leading a feathered revolution against humanity.  Then all that follows is CGI....no story, no subtle humor, possibly decent actors but wooden characters.  Leaving the viewer to hope that they somehow mix in some really prehistoric birds for the onslaught.

I noticed in quite a few places, Tippi Hedren's comments on the remake is getting a lot of attention.  Good for her.  I thought her comments were much more than being protective of a film and role she's well known for.  I agree with her.  There are so many stories that haven't been told yet.  So many unadapted materials. Yet they want to tell the same stories over and over.  I know a big part of this is due to the money.  A kind of investment protection to make sure they profit. 

Here is one of the links with Hedren's comments that had video.  (Although the video is slow to start, and stopped at one point for me)

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2007/10/16/original-scream-queen-decries-birds-remake-as-foul/

And there's more of the same...remakes of Logan's Run and I saw talk of Grease.

Never really looked at this blog before.  The other thing I noticed on this site, is talk about a possible Hitchcock biopic with Anthony Hopkins as Hitch.  This post seems to indicate it's  more than campaigning and just early talk....dunno.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2007/10/22/anthony-hopkins-to-play-hitchcock-and-hes-got-the-voice-ready/

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2012, 10:38:15 AM »

This is the official statement per the one-night re-release showing (tomorrow, Sept. 19):

"The Birds are Coming." Almost 50 years ago, Alfred Hitchcock launched a publicity campaign for his new project based on those four words. NCM Fathom Events, Turner Classic Movies and Universal Pictures bring this American classic back to the big screen for only one night in celebration of Universal's 100th Anniversary. TCM Host Robert Osborne will introduce "Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds" and share with you an exclusive interview he conducted with the film's star Tippi Hedren specifically for this special presentation. Hedren will not only reveal how "Hitch" hand-picked her to play the part of Melanie Daniels but also how the movie that launched her career -- ended it. Osborne will even reach deep into the TCM Archives to share more on set stories from Hedren's co-stars: Rod Taylor and Suzanne Pleshette.

This doesn't inspire much confidence. The famous marketing tag was in fact "The Birds is Coming". The correct grammar seemed wrong enough to send out a weird vibe. How can TCM not know this?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2012, 07:08:58 PM »

This is the official statement per the one-night re-release showing (tomorrow, Sept. 19):

This doesn't inspire much confidence. The famous marketing tag was in fact "The Birds is Coming". The correct grammar seemed wrong enough to send out a weird vibe. How can TCM not know this?
  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2012, 02:53:09 PM »

The final script with the ending that H did not shoot is here: http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/The_Birds.html

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2012, 11:30:20 AM »

Help me live a little more, I'm expecting good news: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_58/the_birds_blu-ray.htm

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 11:34:10 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2012, 01:30:13 PM »

Robert Harris on the Blu-ray: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/324704/a-few-words-about-the-birds-in-blu-ray

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2015, 10:41:16 AM »

Interesting blog about matte paintings, this post features Al Whitlock's work on Hitchcock pictures from The Birds to Topaz. Some of these were obvious and well known to me, but I gotta admit Al slipped quite a few by me. The guy was good. http://nzpetesmatteshot.blogspot.com/search/label/Alfred%20Hitchcock

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2015, 05:13:45 PM »

nice  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2016, 08:13:47 AM »

Here's something interesting, coming Off-Broadway in early Fall:
9 September - 2 October

The Birds
A bold and suspenseful adaptation of Daphne du Maurier's short story, the basis for Alfred Hitchcock's legendary film of the same title, by critically acclaimed Irish writer Conor McPherson. In an isolated house, strangers Nat and Diane take shelter from relentless masses of mad attacking birds. The temporary sanctuary, however, provides little comfort, and when another refugee arrives with news of the outside world, paranoia takes hold of this makeshift fortress. A not-to-be-missed, gripping and emotional look at human relationships in the face of societal collapse.
Tickets are only $20! Drink, are you in?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2016, 11:00:44 AM »

Here's something interesting, coming Off-Broadway in early Fall:
9 September - 2 October

The BirdsTickets are only $20! Drink, are you in?

$20? why not  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2017, 01:02:52 PM »

Locations, locations, locations! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As4yCD8YQjo

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM