Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 06:45:42 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Monte Walsh (1970)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Monte Walsh (1970)  (Read 3328 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2008, 08:26:35 PM »

Dir. William A Fraker with Lee Marvin ...  Monte Walsh  Jeanne Moreau ...  Martine Bernard  Jack Palance ...  Chet Rollins  Mitch Ryan ...  Shorty Austin  Jim Davis ...  Cal Brennan  G.D. Spradlin ...  Hal Henderson  John Hudkins ...  Sonny Jacobs (as John 'Bear' Hudkins)  Raymond Guth ...  Sunfish Perkins (as Ray Guth)  John McKee ...  Petey Williams  Michael Conrad ...  Dally Johnson  Tom Heaton ...  Sugar Wyman  Ted Gehring ...  Skimpy Eagans  Bo Hopkins ...  Jumpin' Joe Joslin.

Another Western about the end of the West. 

Circa late 1880's, after a disastrous winter Monte Walsh & Chet Rollins (who were out minding a line shack & killing wolves) ride out of the mountains and into Harmony in the spring to find out most of the cattle herds were whipped out and that they are out of a job. A friend offers them positions with a cattle company that bought out the valleys ranches and they take up the offer. The story is somewhat predictable and Moreau is pretty much wasted.

Most of the film deals with the steady decline of the romantic West, but not in iconic terms, here it dies not so much with a bang but with a whimper. There is some gunplay, a bar brawl, and some great sets and landscapes. Not any distinct style on the part of Director Fraker.

Near the end there is a turn of events that sets Monte on a mission more in keeping with a traditional Western.

Worth a view 7.5/10

« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 06:52:20 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 12:16:38 PM »

Didn't watch this last night, but I did see it a few years back on a VHS tape.  Lee Marvin and Jack Palance were good, but the rest of the cast didn't make a huge impression.  I do remember enjoying the scene where Marvin tries to break the horse and ends up destroying half of a town. Grin

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 07:44:30 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Monte-Walsh-Lee-Marvin/dp/B0042RJWTM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1288921412&sr=1-1

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 08:16:53 PM »

While the first hour plus isn't perfection, the movie cops out big time in the last act and rushes to an end - basically destroying any positive momentum it gained throughout. The cast delivers, especially the leads.

I would have love to see what Peckinpah would do with the principal story, though it would be familiar territory for him.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 08:07:49 PM »

7/10

the music in the final shootout is awful

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 03:39:32 AM »

7/10

the music in the final shootout is awful

Its all awful.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 05:22:16 AM »

Fine western with a great Lee Marvin. Photography is a bit too "arty", looks often too clean, partly too aseptic. 7/10

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 08:35:35 AM »

I was just about to watch it a couple of times, and each time I FF-ed through it the enthusiasm passed. Perhaps I'm wrong, I might try one of these days.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 01:46:17 PM »

The German BD is region free! http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s4503wals.html

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 12:32:17 PM »

U.S. blu coming in July.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 12:18:07 PM »

Rewatched after so many decades, I remembered nothing. There are some great pictures, like some exteriors when the sheriff is killed. The bronco busting scene is a masterpiece, still there are some minuses (Palance as miscast as can be, too sedate a character for him: it would have better suited a, say, Ben Johnson), the whole subplot around Shorty is not convincing. Jeanne Moreau, I could never put up with her, here looks even older of what she was. I'm curious about Schaefer's novel, though. 7/10

Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 06:29:49 AM »

No mention of the rather good remake in the thread? Time I watched that again and reviewed it. As for the Marv pic >

I ain't spitting on my whole life.

Monte Walsh is the debut feature of cameraman-turned-director William A.Fraker. It stars Lee Marvin (Monte Walsh) & Jack Palance (Chet Rollins) as two ageing cowboys who find that the era of the cowpoke is coming to an end; and that work for them is now very hard to come by. Adapted by David Zelag Goodman & Lukas Heller from Jack Schaefer's novel, Monte Walsh is a gentle but astute telling of men who have outlived their time (think Will Penny/Ride The High Country). Though very sedate in pacing, and almost elegiac in tone, the film constantly remains interesting because the characters are so well written. That they are given quality portrayals by Marvin & Palance, the latter of which is nicely cast against type, is possibly of no surprise to most genre fans. But both actors push themselves to really make the film work, even exuding believability in the process. Thus when the story takes its potent laced turns we are with them all the way, for better or worse.

John Barry provides the music and the film opens with a delightful and ironic tune called "The Good Times Are Comin" sung by Mama Cass. The cinematography is by David M. Walsh, where he nicely manages to make the Tuscon part of the shoot blend with the emotional state of our protagonists. And decent support comes from Mitch Ryan too. There's also much humour in the piece, such as a cooks revenge that is laugh out loud funny. While there's action moments like a taming a bronco sequence to ensure the story is not solely interested in playing out as a sad atmospheric tale. But it's really all about Marvin and the character he plays, with Fraker guiding him to emotional depth, Marvin makes Monte Walsh an essential viewing for fans and interested newcomers alike. 7/10

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 06:33:05 AM by Spikeopath » Logged

Out you get Hooky, you done your bit.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM